PDA

View Full Version : running out of ideas

lorettacritchet
28-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi, does anyone have any handy tips on lunch ideas for kids. I am ok with baby food but it's the kids between 2 and 4 that stump me. I find it's either really long winded taking too long to cook and then the kids get too hungry or my routine doesn't allow the big home cooked meals? and I certainly can't keep offering sandwiches!

Snacks is another thing, fruit/yoghurts/rice cakes....kids are bored with this. I could do muffin cooking with the kids but even so that would only take me a day or two.

mrs robbie williams
28-08-2012, 08:30 AM
wraps, hot dogs, beans/spaghetti/scrambled egg on toast, pasta with grated cheese ??

lorettacritchet
28-08-2012, 08:33 AM
lol yeah got these.....especially stuck what to feed a full time 2 year old!

wraps, hot dogs, beans/spaghetti/scrambled egg on toast, pasta with grated cheese ??

sarah707
28-08-2012, 05:09 PM
We have a lot of sandwiches on different types of bread with different fillings :D

Logan
28-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I do loads of stuff in the slow cooker so that I can do a hot meal at lunch time as I only do sandwiches for tea. I regularly batch cook so that I can freeze meals too so that I don't have to actually cook a proper meal every day. freeze in varying quantities so I've usually got suitable quantities for 1 or 2 children - or a bigger bag for 3 or 4.

I always pack e.g. bolognaise with lots of pureed veg as well as some that's visible - the chn eat far more veg than they realise & if I forget or am struggling to get broccoli or cauliflower done then I don't need to feel guilty!

Maza
28-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Couscous (made with stock) is sooo quick and easy. I serve it with cucumber and tomatoes and pre-cooked/left over chicken or quorn. Another quickie is noodles (boil in 4 minutes in stock) pre cooked chicken or quorn, frozen peas and sweetcorn. Simple, low maintainance but have always gone down well with my mindees.

VeggieSausage
28-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Sandwiches, rolls ,bagels, panini's, french bread, pitta bread pizza's - with brie and cranberry, cheddar, ploughmans, salad, ham, tuna etc

Baked potato's, Baked sweet potato's, with fillings and salad/vegetables - beans, cheese, tuna mayo etc

Pasta and pesto, spag bol, macaroni cheese, tomato sauce and pasta, lasagne...

Scrambled egg on toast, eggy bread, omelette - with cheese/vegetables...boiled egg and soldiers,

Hot dogs in buns, pizza, garlic bread, cheese on toast, hummus and chopped veg and pitta, croque monsieur (toastie with ham in the middle and melted cheese on the top).....

Bean stew, chunky veg soup, leek and potato soup, butternut squash soup, roasted veg risotto....

Snacks - fruit, crumpets, bagels, breadsticks, rice cakes, toast, raisins, yoghurt coated raisins, cheese cubes, chopped veg sticks and hummus, flapjack, malt loaf, cakes, biscuits, dried apricots, watermelon, yoghurt, fruit bread.....

watgem
29-08-2012, 06:53 PM
I'd like to eat at yours veggiesausage:)

mushpea
29-08-2012, 06:57 PM
we have crackers with cheese or marmite, sausage rolls, pitta bread, cold pizza, cold pasta, all different sorts of bread and fillings, rasin bread,

jumpinjen
29-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi Loretta,

I certainly DO offer sandwiches every day in some format!!!!

Wraps, sliced bread, batches, oat cakes, salad sticks, eggs, couscous/rice/pasta/potato salad, pickles.

I find it a fabulous way to offer tastes of all sorts of different foods and for the children to help choose, plan and prepare the foods, and it is portable so we can eat it wherever we fancy going!

I do hot meals in the evenings.....

Jen x