PDA

View Full Version : Access to water

EmmaReed84
27-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Looking for opinions here.

Would you allow a child to get a cup of water from the tap in the downstairs toilet?

mrs robbie williams
27-08-2012, 06:26 PM
personally i wouldnt but then im funny about water from the bathroom tap - prob just me being wierd :rolleyes: ive been wondering how i am supposed to provide constant access to drinking water with three under 2's ?????? am thinking things could get messy :laughing::laughing:

cathtee
27-08-2012, 06:34 PM
I personally wouldn't let them get their own I would much rather get them for them as and when they want one, the reason being they are not allowed to walk around with a drink they have to be sat when they are given it.

hollyoaksmad
27-08-2012, 06:44 PM
im thinking maybe a water dispenser but then they will just play with it. its just going to be a big flood. Is providing bottles ok? and just making sure their topped up or do they have to physically doit?

tamsin
27-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Same rules here, no wandering around whilst drinking, you have to be sitting in the dinner room.

We have a water softener so only the kitchen tap is drinking water anyway, and access to that is restricted with a stair gate - not that a two year old could reach without a chair and some balancing anyway.

Sometimes they have spouted cups/sports bottles which are left on the dining table - otherwise they ask. I think you have to be practical, I don't think ofsted will expect childminders to install knee height water fountains in their living room so kids can help themselves/re-enact noah's ark.

Twinkles
27-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I have individual water bottles for my lot.
They are replenished frequently and are kept within easy reach.

They are all kept in an old 'Celebrations' container which is placed on a low table.

The children can have them whenever they want but know they have to sit and drink and then replace the bottle.
They very quickly get the idea.

ps. They have cups without lids/spouts from the age of 18m/2yr but ONLY at the meal table.

loocyloo
27-08-2012, 07:19 PM
we have cups/lidded cups and a jug of water at the table. it is always accessible, but the children have to ask and sit at the table to drink. i've tried having cups available elsewhere, but this is the system that works for me.

singingcactus
27-08-2012, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't allow from the bathroom - you just know they are going to touch the toilet or whatever then touch the lip of their cup. I do allow the kids to go fill their cup in the kitchen though.

I have previously had a small table with a tray and a covered jug of water for the younger/shorter kids to access their own, but in this current house I just top the little kids glasses up myself - they are all only just 2. ....Now that I am thinking about it though, I might go back to having the glasses in the kitchen with a jug....

BucksCM
27-08-2012, 09:01 PM
No, I wouldn't.
My lo have their own cups that they can reach at anytime during the day and the older ones have their cups in the kitchen.

babs
27-08-2012, 09:16 PM
mine have drinks available at all times cups are on edge of dining table and when playing they just come and get them, i explain they dont walk around with drinks as its dangerous if they spill it and someone slips. childrens ages are 2, 21/2 ,4 and 5 some times lo's wander off with cup but i just remind them to place it back on table if finished. i check drinks regualar and refill if required. when we go outside we take drinks with us and place on table out there. yes sometimes they do have an accident but think i can count on one hand how many we have had with spills in last 6 months. others times they drink is at meal times.

winstonian
27-08-2012, 09:18 PM
We have cups on the table. The smaller ones cant reach but make it clear when they want them, I pass it to them, they sit and have a drink and then pass it back or pop it on the table themselves.

The Juggler
27-08-2012, 09:23 PM
no. its not always drinking water in the bathroom, you need to check hon, it can come from different supplies.

i leave open cups on table in kitchen for those who can talk. the babies/yonunger ones have sippy cups or sports bottles.

PixiePetal
27-08-2012, 10:10 PM
My downstairs cloakroom has drinkable water in the tap but I wouldn't let them use it due to the close proximity to the toilet! Just doesn't ring as hygienic to me.

I leave full cups on dining table, the children know where they are and I refill as necessary :thumbsup:

Mouse
27-08-2012, 10:28 PM
I have all the beakers on a low table. From a very young age the chlildren learn to go and sit down at the table if they want their drink. I have to be honest, even with all under 2s they rarely drink from the wrong beaker.

JCrakers
28-08-2012, 08:47 AM
No
I have cups on the table and we sit at the table to drink. They are always replenished :D

Rubybubbles
28-08-2012, 08:58 AM
for the older children I have them on the table in open cups and a jug of water. The younger children have lidded cups which they can reach at any time always kept topped up. BUT be careful, I know a childminder who got downgraded as she didn't stop children when sharing cups, her fault but I think the younger children always try and get someone elses cup here haha!

rickysmiths
28-08-2012, 02:07 PM
We have cups on the table. The smaller ones cant reach but make it clear when they want them, I pass it to them, they sit and have a drink and then pass it back or pop it on the table themselves.

This is what I do. Mine always sit to drink and soon know they don't walk around. I offer drinks regularly but I do think the constant access is unnecessary. I would rather they sit and have a proper drink the same as eating rather than grazing through the day.