PDA

View Full Version : Parents payment at different times?

tash 1
26-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Goodevening hope everyone enjoying the bankholiday weekend:)I have 2 new mindees starting next month and was planning on asking for fees to be paid monthly on the first of every minding month.but one mum wants to pay on 17th the day she starts four weeks something to do with taxcredit.other mum not a problem so far.do any of you have parent request when they pay you or do you insist on payment at set time for all mindees.
Tashx

bunyip
26-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Goodevening hope everyone enjoying the bankholiday weekend:)I have 2 new mindees starting next month and was planning on asking for fees to be paid monthly on the first of every minding month.but one mum wants to pay on 17th the day she starts four weeks something to do with taxcredit.other mum not a problem so far.do any of you have parent request when they pay you or do you insist on payment at set time for all mindees.
Tashx

I don't quite understand the part I've shown in red. :confused:

I personally don't have a problem with parents paying at a time that suits them, just so long as they are paying in advance. Mine generally want to pay at a time that ties in with when they receive their salary/wages.

The history of many, many posts on these boards proves one thing: if you agree to be paid in arrears, sooner or later there's a good chance you're going to end up working for nothing.

...and never let a parent believe that they don't have to pay you until their tax credits have arrived. They pay you first, then they claim their TC's. :thumbsup:

caz3007
26-08-2012, 05:59 PM
I am paid fortnightly in advance by my full time mum, she ties in it with her Tax credits and her wages. I dont mind, she pays no problem and it works for us.

When she first started with me, her work messed up their part of her Tax credit claim, think they had to a fill out a form as she was returning to work and they also messed up her first wages, but at no point did she ask not to pay in advance, she borrowed the money from a friend until it was all sorted.

samsstars
26-08-2012, 05:59 PM
It's hard isn't it. Most of mine contracts are TTO so I've asked that they all pay in advance on September 1st to bring them all in line. No one objected.

funemnx
26-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I had a mum request to pay on the 17th of the month as this was her payday - no problems! :thumbsup:

Two Princesses
26-08-2012, 09:48 PM
My only full timer pays on the 23rd of the month, I don't ask for payment until the 1st of the month :) Dad actually text me this month on the 20th to ask how much the invoice was so he could transfer the money there and then!!
(I realise I am very very lucky with this family, the little girl is great too :thumbsup:)
I don't see that you can object to her paying (for instance) £xx for October fees on the 17th Sept, it just means she's paying early, then Nov fees on 17th Oct.

Don't let her pay Sept fees on the 17th of Sept as you'll have worked 17 days for nothing and if she then has a problem with TC's and doesn't pay you till 1st Oct you then get into payment in arrears as I doubt she'll have 2 months money from TC's to pay you Sept and Oct on 1st Oct...... :rolleyes:

Your contract is with her, not Tax Credits. She has agreed to pay you regardless of where she gets that money (be it salary, TC's or borrow from family) so that's what she should do.

Tough I know but you are running a business :)

kim gilliar
26-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi, Yes it is good policy to not allow any payment arrears as they just increase and then you possibly will lose a client just by asking for what is overdue. Believe me this was an abrupt reality check when I first started.

muffins
27-08-2012, 06:46 AM
I make payment arrangements with mine when doing contracts and write it in, but I allow them to pay when they want/get payed. I have daily (self employed parents like to pay up front cash), weekly and monthly. I really dont mind as long as I get the £, I find its easier to work with parents on this one cos some know if they get paid weekly they wont manage to save it up for the end of the month!

The Juggler
27-08-2012, 11:51 AM
i'd let her pay you on 17th the first month if that is when child starts but tell her to just pay to the end of the month then on 1st of next month she pays the full month.

That would be my solution.

Lots of my parents pay slightly different date. Some of my voucher payments go in 2 weeks early even. Lots of the other payments don't clear until 3 or 4th of the month as parents don't receive them until last day of previous month. I'm happy as long as I know what date it is coming each month and it's not too far past 1st.