PDA

View Full Version : How and when to introduce 'Stranger Danger'.

Maza
25-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I know it depends on the child, but when/how did you approach 'stranger danger'? Can anybody recommend any appropriate books/stories. Obviously we don't want to put the fear of God into our LO's when we do it. Tough one. x

francinejayne
25-08-2012, 09:27 PM
this is a fantastic post on this, and gave me quite a lot to think about - perhaps we all need to be taught why not to teach stranger danger?

http://www.checklistmommy.com/2012/02/09/tricky-people-are-the-new-strangers/

jumpinjen
25-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I don't teach 'stranger danger' - statistics show that children are more likely to be harmed by a family member/friend or other person known to them rather than a stranger. What I teach them instead is two fold - one, that they don't go off with another person when they are supposed to be with me whatever that person says to them and two - I build a strong sense of self and the confidence to say 'no' to others and adults that are doing/saying things that make them feel uncomfortable.

Jen x

francinejayne
25-08-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't teach 'stranger danger' - statistics show that children are more likely to be harmed by a family member/friend or other person known to them rather than a stranger. What I teach them instead is two fold - one, that they don't go off with another person when they are supposed to be with me whatever that person says to them and two - I build a strong sense of self and the confidence to say 'no' to others and adults that are doing/saying things that make them feel uncomfortable.

Jen x

the link I posted also says this - they use the term 'tricky person' - and when I read it, it made so much sense.

jumpinjen
25-08-2012, 09:36 PM
If we taught 'stranger danger', none of them would ever go near Santa when he appears at the Christmas party :laughing::laughing::laughing: Jen x

zippy
25-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Very interesting read, thankyou. Must admit I've never felt very comfortable with the stranger thing, I love my kids saying hello to people in the street and spreading a little happiness, but always felt I was confusing them with mixed messages this is a much better way of making them aware of everyone in their environment. Would recommmend everyone to hae a read.

Maza
25-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Thank you, that was a very interseting read. I am glad I brought it up as everyone should read this. x

Ripeberry
26-08-2012, 08:03 AM
That kind of thing should really be taught by the parents themselves. In a way we are a 'stranger'. And as someone pointed out most assaults are committed by family members.
I teach my own kids to scream, bite, scratch and kick anyone who tries to take them away against their will (if they get caught that is).

bunyip
26-08-2012, 09:03 AM
this is a fantastic post on this, and gave me quite a lot to think about - perhaps we all need to be taught why not to teach stranger danger?

http://www.checklistmommy.com/2012/02/09/tricky-people-are-the-new-strangers/

This is great. This alone means this thread should be pinned and locked so we can refer to it anytime. :thumbsup:

Carol M
26-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Thank you for the links.
Totally makes sense. I will be sharing links with my parents and have ordered Pattie's book from Amazon. Excellent bit to add to my Professional Dement file.
Carol xx

primula
26-08-2012, 03:13 PM
very interesting read. i have always believed that kids have a right to be affection to whom they choose and never force or make kids hug or kiss anyone, even other children!
I personally think that these 'warnings' in this post should be discussed at school too!
i have always said to my kids listen to your inner voice and act on that..

ajc
26-08-2012, 08:40 PM
In our childminding group we often prefer call it 'safer stranger'. if a child is lost then a shop lady, someone in uniform or a mum with a pushchair for example is to my mind someone who would help, its important not to scare children into not asking for help. Obviously we need to teach them that anything that makes them uncomfortable is not acceptable but we need to keep a balance.