PDA

View Full Version : how long before you got your first child?

sineadquinn
24-08-2012, 07:52 PM
just as it says really. Im sure everyones very different. this is my biggest worry that i wont get any work :-( just be interested to hear others stories

jumpinjen
24-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Four months - did lots of legwork, told everyone I knew, got referrals through word of mouth, e-mailed people, advertised on business listings, put posters up in the hospital, did mail shots to local businesses - never did flyers through letter boxes though, I hate leaflets through mine so was too embarrassed to do the same to others!!!!

Jen x

Mouse
24-08-2012, 08:59 PM
It took me about 3 months. I tried advertising, but didn't get far.

In the end I went along to the local childminding group, got the know the lovely minders there & gave them a sob story about being all ready to start work, but having no calls. They felt sorry for me & started passing on my name! I've never looked back :D

Kiddleywinks
24-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Nearly 7 months :eek:

Talk about having a complex :laughing:

Thought I'd never get one, now I have two, and had a lady visit today (98% sure at this stage, but don't count my chickens anymore as had two families (related) almost sign on the spot, but advised to go away and have a think, talk to OH's - thinking the no pressure would win it, and never heard from them again!!)
and another visit tomorrow that has been firing questions all week before deciding whether or not to visit.... hmmm :rolleyes: not sure where I am with this one :laughing:

Thinking about it now, the related families that almost signed on the spot could have potentially caused me problems with the two I have now, so it was a good thing they didn't come to me after all, but at the time, I'd have sold my soul to the devil to get them....

My advice now is not to go with the 'any mindees are better than none' route, the ones that are right for you will come soon enough ;)

loocyloo
24-08-2012, 09:40 PM
when i first registered, it took me a couple of months to get my first mindees, and i was then full within another 3 months! but that was in 2003.

i moved 18 mths ago and it took me 5/6 months to get one mindee, 5 hrs one day a week... it took another couple of months and then i was more or less as full as i wanted to be with EY children, and i have just signed my first 2 schoolies! so 18mths to full capacity!

good luck xxx

sarah707
24-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I was so lucky - I told my neighbours that I had registered and one had a friend who needed care... she turned 18 earlier this year! :eek:

I always advise new childminders to interview the parents / child just as carefully as they are interviewing you...

Good luck! :D

Paulab
24-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I started my childminding journey specifically for a good friends 6 month old baby & older sibling ,rushed absolutely everything through within weeks, luckily Crb checks & Ofsted were really quick, so she just waited for me to be registered, had my daughters best friend, younger twin siblings start the same day,

I would never childmind for friends ever ever again,

The twins were complete nightmares they were 8 & hated each other, left when they were 10,

Am still minding the now almost 3 year old baby & older sibling, this has been not a very good experience, late collections no extra payment, expecting me to have them sick, friendship not what it was ! Changing to term time only from 5 days down to 2 & not older sibling, think its def what we need

Have some lovely new starters in sept, before schoolies & after schoolies, & I will start as I mean to go on, & will be very strict with collections late fees sick children etc,

I'm very lucky I've never had to advertise & everything has been word of mouth & reccommenddations :-)

mummyof3
24-08-2012, 10:20 PM
I started out very slowly with 2 before and after school children. These came from friends of friends at my childrens school. I had such a complex because everyone that visited I never heard from again.

I decided not to stress about it and just enjoy the days with my son. I then bought a puppy as I thought it would be a perfect time to train him etc and the day I brought him home I had an enquiry for a full timer and signed him that day! Three years on I'm full and have an assistant 3 days a week.

Demonjill
24-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Tbh I didn't look as had a part time retail job when I registered the second time

I signed twins 1 day a week( on my day off from retail job) a month after reg.

I was happy doing this for few months then more enquiries came 3 at once an took them all on:thumbsup:

miffy
25-08-2012, 06:59 AM
I registered to care for a friends child after her childminder gave notice. That was over twenty years ago and I've never been without work since but I think I've been very lucky.

I'd check out with local minders what the work situation is and also what the competition is in your area.

Good luck

Miffy xx

mindingmummy
25-08-2012, 07:55 AM
I think the reall key is the time of year...most new contracts come in September, and once you have one others follow.

I registered in the June and started my first and second child on the September so 3 months (although they contacted me in August.

Advertising is important to start with until word of mouth gets round. I put up posters in all the village shops, the preschool, and primary school. I also registered on childcare.co.uk which is where my first customer came from.

Bear23
25-08-2012, 07:59 AM
I was really lucky, i had one waiting for me to register, he was a full time place. Got my certificate on a friday morning and had four children, after school ones by the following monday!!

it took me about 3 months to fill my eyfs places tho, and its only now in my third year i have just four little ones all on great hours.
Year one and two of childminding i took anything on offer and worked some really crazy hours

Good luck, its so different for everyone tho:)

lynncjt
25-08-2012, 09:02 AM
I finally got my registration at the end of July, told my DO and she referred an after schoolie 3 days a week, and I have 2 little ones (2 and 4) starting next week 2 days a week, they came from Childcare.co.uk (she contacted me).

Have 3 other enquires so far but all people with no definite need at the moment.

Have not advertised yet but have got free T shirts from Vista which I will be wearing up to the school, 4 year old is at pre-school, and hope people take note!