PDA

View Full Version : Problem Parents

amylou32
24-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but i need some advice.

I have recently taken on a little who is such a wonderful little boy, however the same can not be said for the parents........ on the first day he was due to start at 9am and his mum didn't drop him off till 2pm (apparently they had overslept!) without even giving him his lunch :angry:.

And secondly they were due to pay on Thursday but still have not received this and making excuses. i have given them the benefit of the doubt but it has back fired on me.

Am i right to feel let down by them and am tempted to send a text and cancel the contact.

EmmaReed84
24-08-2012, 12:04 PM
My advise... Firstly DO NOT TEXT! If you want to terminate you contract you are better off putting it in a formal letter and keeping a copy... IMO texting the cancellation of a contract is neither appropriate nor professional.

When you say recently... how recently? Still in settling in period, or past that?

With regards to payment, I would withhold my services until payment is made.

amylou32
24-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi emma,

Thanks for your reply, as for the parents i have tried phoning them but they never answer and the dad is an aggressive person so i think i will post a letter through and if i still don't receive a response by Wednesday i will refuse entry

The little boy is still in the settling in period for the next two weeks

sarah707
24-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Tighten up your contracts in the future!! Money in advance or no care.

I hope it works out ok for you x

Maza
24-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Poor you. I always get paid in advance to avoid this. Could you insist on this next time you take on someone new? Also, if you suspect that a parent is aggressive I would politely make an excuse and not take them on. I know it's hard because we all need the work, but we don't need the stress. I agree, don't use a text message and try not to sound defensive or cross in your letter/phonecall as you don't want to rile dad. x

amylou32
24-08-2012, 12:30 PM
thanks sarah i usually take money up front but she said she was just waiting for her tax credits to go in so i gave her the benefit of the doubt.

amylou32
24-08-2012, 12:32 PM
hi mazza i wouldnt of taken him on if i have met the dad on the first day. i only met him two days ago

The Juggler
24-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but i need some advice.

I have recently taken on a little who is such a wonderful little boy, however the same can not be said for the parents........ on the first day he was due to start at 9am and his mum didn't drop him off till 2pm (apparently they had overslept!) without even giving him his lunch :angry:.

And secondly they were due to pay on Thursday but still have not received this and making excuses. i have given them the benefit of the doubt but it has back fired on me.

Am i right to feel let down by them and am tempted to send a text and cancel the contact.

Ring mum today. Tell her that you are sorry to have to do this so early in the contract but that unless she is able to pay the money over the weekend or when she drops off next week then you will NOT be able to accept the child. Avoid her trying it on i.e. dropping him then saying she'll pay at collection. Pre-empt it saying if you bring him with no money on Tuesday I will not take him until you return with the money as you had bills to pay this weekend and now you are unable to do so.

You've nothing to lose by beign this tough if you are considering cancellign anyway.

amylou32
24-08-2012, 01:18 PM
if i refuse to look after the the child on tuesday would you still charge the parents for that day?

The Juggler
24-08-2012, 01:32 PM
if i refuse to look after the the child on tuesday would you still charge the parents for that day?

yes. however, check with your insurers first - NCMA often side with parents on this issue. But IMO if you have told mum you will do this today, and payment is already late then by next week there is NO reason she should not be able to pay you or decide not to bring her chid and no reason why she can claim you have made her lose income - she is the one in breach of contract.:thumbsup:

amylou32
24-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Result shes on her way around to pay. thanks for everyones help :)

The Juggler
24-08-2012, 01:53 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Maza
24-08-2012, 04:55 PM
That's fantastic amylou! Well done. x