PDA

View Full Version : numbers - new baby arriving

Helcatt
23-08-2012, 08:57 PM
My big worry is that we are full!

I know that this is an envious position to be in, and am counting blessings! Hubby is registering as a childminder and is going to take over the business (hopefully at christmas) as I am pg (he is currently one of my assistants) baby due in feb

When new one arrives next year, are we likely to have to give notice to a current client? Or are they likely to be human and allow us to be over their numbers between Feb when baby arrives and mid march when DD turns 8? literally for 6 weeks? Well, maybe 4 as we will shut down for two weeks when new one arrives

I am allowed 5 children under 5 and 2 school age, DD2 is 7 ad DD3 will be 4 by then (so still in under 5's number even though at nursery full time)

I know I am trying to second guess here and we will obviously discuss this in detail when hubby has his pre-reg visit.

Ta muchly for thoughts

Hx

stardust
23-08-2012, 10:35 PM
My big worry is that we are full!

I know that this is an envious position to be in, and am counting blessings! Hubby is registering as a childminder and is going to take over the business (hopefully at christmas) as I am pg (he is currently one of my assistants) baby due in feb

When new one arrives next year, are we likely to have to give notice to a current client? Or are they likely to be human and allow us to be over their numbers between Feb when baby arrives and mid march when DD turns 8? literally for 6 weeks? Well, maybe 4 as we will shut down for two weeks when new one arrives

I am allowed 5 children under 5 and 2 school age, DD2 is 7 ad DD3 will be 4 by then (so still in under 5's number even though at nursery full time)

I know I am trying to second guess here and we will obviously discuss this in detail when hubby has his pre-reg visit.

Ta muchly for thoughts

Hx

I don't see how they can make you give notice to one child just for the sake of 4-6 weeks when they are so big on continuity of care.
If not can you ask to up your numbers by 1 and have a family member to help?
Are the numbers you can have due to space? If so you can argue that you baby will be 2-6 weeks during that period and will spend 80% of his/her time in a moses basket that will take up hardly any room.
Tara x

bunyip
24-08-2012, 07:15 AM
I agree the OP should check with Ofsted at the pre-reg visit.

Whatever else Ofsted have been saying about numbers, variations and continuity (and much of it has been vague and contradictory) they seem quite clear that an individual CM cannot go above 6 under-8s.

But if both you and DH are registered by then, wouldn't you be OK? They should increase your numbers for working together, assuming you have fulfilled requirements for space, planning permission, etc.

The Juggler
24-08-2012, 07:22 AM
I agree the OP should check with Ofsted at the pre-reg visit.

Whatever else Ofsted have been saying about numbers, variations and continuity (and much of it has been vague and contradictory) they seem quite clear that an individual CM cannot go above 6 under-8s.

But if both you and DH are registered by then, wouldn't you be OK? They should increase your numbers for working together, assuming you have fulfilled requirements for space, planning permission, etc.

they do seem very strict on this, but if you are working in partnership with DH then surely that increases the number of under 8's anyway doesn't it?

VeggieSausage
24-08-2012, 07:30 AM
thought you could have a variation for a new baby? and as you are both working you could have 6 under 8's each?

The Juggler
24-08-2012, 07:35 AM
thought you could have a variation for a new baby? and as you are both working you could have 6 under 8's each?

you can have a variation for your own baby but still within 6 under 8's if you work alone.

Unfortunatley just because there are 2 doesn't allow for 12 under 8's - due to space (and probably LA planning permission) but it should allow for more than 6.:)

Helcatt
24-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Due to space restrictions, we are allowed 5 under 5, plus our 3yo, and 2 x 5-8 plus our 7 yo, as he is already working with me as a approved assistant, just not CM in own right

By being as full as we can be, we have no space to manoeuvre in terms of going over numbers in under 5s group. As it is, I am using the variation 3 sometimes four days a week, because of continuity of care and sibling care. I have already had to tell a current client (used to have the boy all day, she wants me to have him after school when he starts reception) that I can not possibly have her 4yo, as no space

I just wondered if there had been a precedent set. If I had to give notice, it would be to the after school child who did the least hours, but seems ridiculous for such a short space of time.

dh will be working with our assistant and I'll be doing my own thing with baby anyway

I guess it is open to interpretation, and how a particular inspector wants to look at it

Hx

The Juggler
24-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks for your replies.

Due to space restrictions, we are allowed 5 under 5, plus our 3yo, and 2 x 5-8 plus our 7 yo, as he is already working with me as a approved assistant, just not CM in own right

By being as full as we can be, we have no space to manoeuvre in terms of going over numbers in under 5s group. As it is, I am using the variation 3 sometimes four days a week, because of continuity of care and sibling care. I have already had to tell a current client (used to have the boy all day, she wants me to have him after school when he starts reception) that I can not possibly have her 4yo, as no space

I just wondered if there had been a precedent set. If I had to give notice, it would be to the after school child who did the least hours, but seems ridiculous for such a short space of time.

dh will be working with our assistant and I'll be doing my own thing with baby anyway

I guess it is open to interpretation, and how a particular inspector wants to look at it

Hx

i would ring ofsted hon, as if it means you have to give notice to a child to accommodate new baby, and as you have an assistant they may relent?

bunyip
25-08-2012, 12:28 PM
On a purely practical level, you say you're as full as you can be and will be having to cope with a new baby and all that comes with it. How much additional pressure and noise do you really want to have to handle?

Only you can answer that, but I'd think it through, then call Ofsted if I still wanted the aggro. :o

Helcatt
28-08-2012, 08:01 PM
On a purely practical level, you say you're as full as you can be and will be having to cope with a new baby and all that comes with it. How much additional pressure and noise do you really want to have to handle?

Only you can answer that, but I'd think it through, then call Ofsted if I still wanted the aggro. :o

A fair point, but hubby will be taking over and I will be stepping back, quite a bit!

I'll just be helping with obs, LJs, planning and a bit of diary writing, but won't be joining in with the day to day mayhem, will be taking it as easy as I can (considering there is a little one to contend with)

And as he and our assistant work through their level 3, I am expecting them to take of more of that as they gain confidence, and they will do paperwork for their key children

Anyway, one hour to switch off time, so must get on with boring stuff

HX