PDA

View Full Version : suncream to lend or not

mushpea
23-08-2012, 08:11 PM
if a parent forgot to apply and supply suncream would you use your own?

I had a child today who had none in her bag and when I txt the parent she said she didnt put it on the child as she thought it was going to rain! as it was it was lovley sunny weather so I let the child out for around 20mins then told her she had to stay in for the rest of the morning (she goes 1pm), i also txt mum and told her this but it didtn seem to bother her that her child was missing out on the fun.
I could have put one of the other childrens cream on her or my own but then what if she came out in a rash! My son has allergies and can only use a certain type, my mum put her own on him once and he was sore and itchy for days, I wouldnt want to inflict that on a mindee and at the same time I dont want to send home sunburnt children,.. Not only that but I feel that if I always provide stuff or lend stuff parents get used to this and take advantage of it never supplying their own stuff.

Angela234
23-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I ask for parents to bring their own but also get then to sign for me to apply it also permission for me to use mine if they do forget to send any in,

jumping j
23-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I ask for parents to bring their own but also get then to sign for me to apply it also permission for me to use mine if they do forget to send any in,

I do too, I also check if there are any allergies, just incase one of them is allergic to any ingredient in sun cream

samb
23-08-2012, 08:45 PM

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought about doing the permission to use mine. However I would be worried they then would deliberatley "forget"?

Before now I had a parent who kept forgetting and so after 2 weeks when she turned up again without any I said I had now run out of sun cream so would need to go and buy some today and so I would add it to her next invoice. She still doesn't always remember but it did help a bit!

Polly2
23-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Parents of children with allergies leave a bottle of suncream here with me. For everyone else I supply it :)

JCrakers
23-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I have a permission form although do not like using my own as its so expensive.

I had the same situation last week, mindee hadn't bought his because mum thought it was going to rain. I used my own.
If it was up to me I would rather see a child with a bit of a rash rather than sunburn but that's the wrong thing to say nowadays.

Twinkles
23-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I provide my own.

I get parents to skin test to make sure it's ok and then I always supply it.

As I work with DH we can have many children here in the holidays. We are out and about all day every day and I do not want to carry loads of bottles of suncream around.

In your case could you not get the parent to give permission by text ? It's still written.

Ali56
23-08-2012, 09:29 PM
I ask the parents for a named bottle at the beginning of the summer-so far I have been lucky, with only one family constantly 'forgetting'.
I also have a permission form for parents to sign, so if their child has none I can apply my own. The permission form asks if there are any known allergies, and I use the suncream for sensitive skins to minimise any reaction.
I've never had a parent refuse to sign for permission yet!

blue bear
23-08-2012, 09:39 PM
I supply suntan cream with permissions in p,ace. If parents put some in the bag I will use that. I buy it when it's on special and have used 2 bottles at £3.50 each. I spend more than that on sand in a month.

mummyof3
24-08-2012, 07:41 AM
You have SUN :eek::eek:

:laughing:

Playmate
24-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Parents of children with allergies leave a bottle of suncream here with me. For everyone else I supply it :)

I'm the same, haveing been in childminding for 19 years this is an issue I have faced every year :( We now have upto 8 chidren in our care and having 8 different bottles of sun cream to take out would be impossible. We supply the cream and put it through expences. Permission slip states the type of cream used and if parents want something different they have to supply it. This has saved so much hassle :D

Chimps Childminding
24-08-2012, 10:08 AM
I also have permission form signed to say I can apply sun cream!! If parents supply it I use theirs, for anyone without it I use mine. TBH its not as expensive as it used to be especially if you buy it on offer, and 1 or 2 bottles usually does me the summer (what summer I ask :rolleyes:) and I put it through my books!!!

tialil
24-08-2012, 09:44 PM
I used to ask parents to send and then had permission to use ours if they forgot we'd use ours. We were recently told whilst doing our first aid course that we are not supposed to use our own and share between the children but to get parents to provide their own . Reasons being all allergies and cross infections. Quite a few of use questioned this saying that quite regular parents refuse/forget/cant be bothered . We were told to keep the children well covered and in the shade/in doors.

So going by the amount of parents I have provided care to over the years who have not sent suncream we would be stuck in doors :(

sarah707
24-08-2012, 09:47 PM

I was quite shocked by this question too! :eek: :D

Bear23
25-08-2012, 08:13 AM

:laughing::laughing:

Chimps Childminding
25-08-2012, 09:01 AM
I used to ask parents to send and then had permission to use ours if they forgot we'd use ours. We were recently told whilst doing our first aid course that we are not supposed to use our own and share between the children but to get parents to provide their own . Reasons being all allergies and cross infections. Quite a few of use questioned this saying that quite regular parents refuse/forget/cant be bothered . We were told to keep the children well covered and in the shade/in doors.

So going by the amount of parents I have provided care to over the years who have not sent suncream we would be stuck in doors :(

I can understand the allergies bit, but cross infection :rolleyes: surely you just squeeze a blob on to the child and either you or the child rubs it in :thumbsup:

Twinkles
25-08-2012, 09:41 AM
We were recently told whilst doing our first aid course that we are not supposed to use our own and share between the children but to get parents to provide their own . Reasons being all allergies and cross infections.

Oh for goodness sake ! ( not against you , but the first aid provider )

Some things can be taken too far.

Next they will want us all to supply bubble wrap and wrap all the children up and not let them move.

I do get quite grumpy when I see common sense being thrown out in the name of 'improved practice' ! :(

Chatterbox Childcare
25-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Oh for goodness sake ! ( not against you , but the first aid provider )

Some things can be taken too far.

Next they will want us all to supply bubble wrap and wrap all the children up and not let them move.

I do get quite grumpy when I see common sense being thrown out in the name of 'improved practice' ! :(

Sorry but I agree with the provider. What if there was a bad allergic reaction (I have had this myself) and the parent was not then happy. Mine all provide a small bottle in each bag and I do take it out with me.

I am not fair sknined and only have factor 8 which is hardly suitable for a child.

the responsibility is with the parent to provide sun cream in my practice, not me.

PixiePetal
25-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I provide cream unless there is an allergy or parents would like to provide it. They sign a permission for this.

It's not as expensive as it used to be and I get a 2 for 1 offer if I can :thumbsup:

I do ask parents to provide light long sleeved tops though as I find this easier :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
25-08-2012, 06:11 PM
I provide it. I ask parents permission to use it, check there are no allergies and try it out on the inside of their elbow first. I use an organic natural one anyway so less likely to be allergic than a chemical variety.

Personally i would much prefer I put my hand in my pocket for 50p worth of sunscreen than have a child miss out on the fun. But we're all different and I can see why others would rather not.

Twinkles
25-08-2012, 07:00 PM
I use an organic natural one anyway so less likely to be allergic than a chemical variety.

Can you recommend one please ?

tialil
25-08-2012, 11:00 PM
tbh I have always had a bottle of factor 30 plus in the cupboard, also a bottle for my family as well. I try to get it on bogof.
Cream is always squited into mmine or kiddies hand and I always wash my hands between each child. Its not much fun thou when you have to cream up 4-5 kiddies before you can go out because parents dont apply before they come.

I have had parents also send factor 10 for their fair haried, fair skinned kiddies which dont give much protecion so was relieved to have permission (in writing) to use my own.

Gosh I sound like a right grumpy so and so in my posts , just fed up of rules,regs and parents who dont co-operate fro the sake of their child