PDA

View Full Version : Food Standards Agency a Requirment?

OrlandoBelle
23-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Is it a legal requirement to be inspected by the food standards agency? I still haven't gotten around to registering with them and have my Ofsted inspection due any time now. :panic: If it's a legal requirement i'll been to get it sorted pronto!

I don't cook hot meals in my setting anymore but I do prepare snacks, breakfast and lunches.

bunyip
23-08-2012, 11:55 AM
IIRC, it's pretty much a requirement. I think the only exception is if you provide omly fresh water, and the very occasional item, such as a birthday cake, so virtually all settings need to register with their local EHO as a 'food business'.

AliceK
23-08-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm sure you have to register with them. Whether or not they come and inspect you depends on your local authority.

xxx

loocyloo
23-08-2012, 12:02 PM
i'm registered with my local environmental health people and apart from them sending me a letter to confirm i was a childminder and i had to tick boxes to say what food i provided - snacks, lunch, tea, hot & cold meals plus baking.

but they have not been out to see me and won't unless there is a problem! i wrote myself a note saying i had registered with EH and the date, with a copy of the form i sent.

lauren1979
23-08-2012, 03:15 PM
I registered over a year ago, they recently came out and gave me 5 stars without even seeing the kitchen :laughing:

sarah707
23-08-2012, 06:09 PM
It is a requirement to register as a food business - however it is not specifically noted in the EYFS.

Some local authorities are more 'on the ball' than others and do visits.

You should be using the file - safer food better business for childminders - too :D

hectors house
23-08-2012, 07:58 PM
i'm registered with my local environmental health people and apart from them sending me a letter to confirm i was a childminder and i had to tick boxes to say what food i provided - snacks, lunch, tea, hot & cold meals plus baking.

but they have not been out to see me and won't unless there is a problem! i wrote myself a note saying i had registered with EH and the date, with a copy of the form i sent.

Did they acknowledge receipt of your letter, as I filled in a form and sent back in June 09 (I wrote it down on my action plan), but have never heard back from them - don't know if I am regisitered or if the letter got lost in post! I know someone who just registered as a childminder and Food Standards came out and inspected her, but I don't intend to chase them up.

Ant_h18
23-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I think Birmingham are quite hot on it