PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my numbers

Angela234
23-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Hi i was having my grandson 4 days and 2 new ones who have had/having settling in sessions will be 2 days each and my grandaughter in the gaps it all fitted in well
Problem; my daughter is starting a teaching assistant course Sept which was going to be on tues pm worked in fine they have CHANGED it to Thursday when i already have 3 spaces filled

So Sept thursday will be 10 month boy 7.30 - 4.30
12 month boy 8.30 - 5.30
grandson 13 months 9.00 until could be 1.30,2.00,2.30,3.00 as dad often finishes work early Thursdays

ALSO NOW ;grandaughter COULD BE 12.00 - 3.00 every other week dad could drop off 1.30

So i will have 4 for either 1.30 hours -3.00 hours

I do have plenty of equipment for sleeping, eating,space and toys.

I know i need to risk assess and get parents permission

Forgot to say one of the new boys will stil be settling so only doing half days
until end Sept

What woul you do?

The Juggler
23-08-2012, 08:16 AM
i don't see that it will be a problem. you can't grant yourself a variation for new business but as long as the new children are contracted and start before your daughters course I would say this would be continuity of care. Or could your daughter ask a friend to help out for a week or two to ensure that the course is not starting before teh new ones start?

If you think you can do it go for it, however, it's 3 very young children already which will be exhausting. I know this year for hte first time I've had 2 babies and 2 x 3 year olds and that was hard work. 3 young babies AND another one will be hard unless your grandaughter is a lot older. How old is your she? Personally, I'd not want to do 4 babies :panic: Though I know lots of minders on here do and cope fine.

you will just need to RA and inform the current parents and new parents of your plans. :thumbsup:

Boris
23-08-2012, 08:17 AM
I think if you are confident that you will be ok, have risk assessed, informed parents and have enough room and equipment etc. you will be fine. I think for one day and for such a short time you would have been given a variation under the "old" rules anyway.

mama2three
23-08-2012, 08:21 AM
It depends on the age of your grandaughter whether I would consider allowing myself this as exceptional circumstances. If she is around the same age as the others I dont think with the best will in the world I could give all of them the best care . Issues of transportation etc would mean that they would get a poorer service than if I stuck with 3. However if its just for a couple of hours once a week then we could plan to be at home , and between 12 and 3 you may find that one or more of them naps...
Only you know how it all fits with your other childrens needs and routines.

Angela234
23-08-2012, 08:27 AM
My grandaughter will be 13 months

The new ones are contrated and have had settling in sessions one is having longer as gran is staying for 3 weeks thats why he's half days for Sept

I think as its a short time it should be ok and as there all simular ages we can all be on the floor doing simular things like different baskets (wooden, treasure,shinny,boxe of different tops, scrafes) action songs with puppets/props, looking at books. i have a playroom with self choice boxes all suitable for their ages.

My adult son is usualy home Thursday he could evan help with Grandchildren not mindee's.

I think i'm telling myself i can manage

JCrakers
23-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Sounds do-able to me and is it just for one day?

And hours aren't too long either :D

Chatterbox Childcare
23-08-2012, 08:52 AM
You are self assessing as of September. Risk assess and grant yourself an extension/variation

The Juggler
23-08-2012, 11:34 AM
that's 3 who are barely 1 year and one under 1 year - that is VERY hard work but if you think you can do it then go for it :thumbsup:

kindredspirits
23-08-2012, 03:57 PM
having started settling in a new baby who is 5 months old, alongside my own nearly 8 month old (with hubby as assistant) I would seriously think about if you can cope with such young children - all great when they are all happy, but what if they all decide to scream at the same time??
could you register your adult son as an assistant?