PDA

View Full Version : No food from home here

AliceK
23-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Do you think I am being overly strict? I am reviewing all my P&P's and have decided that I will not accept meals sent from home. I provide all meals here included in my price and tbh no-one has ever requested sending anything in so it wont make any difference to my current parents but I'm trying to cover all my bases and because I have no idea of the "health & safety" aspects of food bought into my setting I've decided to just not accept it. Does anyone else do this or does it sound too harsh?

xxxx

Daftbat
23-08-2012, 07:15 AM
None of my parents bring food on a regular basis but I have had children turn up running late for school with toast in their hand that they have been eating in the car and I see no problem with this.

Tbh I think its a bit of a fuss for nothing - surely we don't think that our mindees parents are going to be so bad at food preparation that they can't be trusted - afterall they are putting their trust in us to provide suitable food for their children all day.

BuggsieMoo
23-08-2012, 07:16 AM
I dont accept any food from home unless it is in its original wrapping - this is because I have a child with severe food intolerances and cannot afford to take the chance on what 'maybe' in the food that is not in an original packaging.

This also applies to cakes for birthdays etc - whilst a home made one is lovely and I do make my DD's own (I know what goes in it then) I do not accept anything other than shop brought with the box so I can read the ingrediants list.

Mouse
23-08-2012, 07:22 AM
What about children who had allergies or required a certain diet? Would you be prepared to spend time perhaps preparing different food, or paying extra to cater for their needs? If you would, then I don't see a problem with it.

What I have learned over the years though is to allow yourself a bit of leeway. If you say no food can ever be brought into your home, then you are committing yourself to provide whatever is needed, which may require extra preparation time or money.

If you don't want parents bringing food, I would perhaps say that as a rule you provide all meals, but if a child has particular needs you will work with parents.

Some of my parents provide food, some don't. I just go with the flow. If they do provide food I make it clear that I won't serve anying that is past it's use by date (one parent had a habit os fending out of date yoghurts) and if the food isn't particularly healthy I'll either make suggestions on what to send, or suggest I take over providing food.

gegele
23-08-2012, 07:27 AM
i cook diner my children+older mindee don't eat until 6 but i have 2younger ones i agree to feed (which put me in it to be fair!!) before so 2 lo eat at 5. mum of full timer provide diner 3 days a week and it makes a big difference as 3 days a week i don't have to rush!

AliceK
23-08-2012, 07:28 AM
What about children who had allergies or required a certain diet? Would you be prepared to spend time perhaps preparing different food, or paying extra to cater for their needs? If you would, then I don't see a problem with it.

What I have learned over the years though is to allow yourself a bit of leeway. If you say no food can ever be brought into your home, then you are committing yourself to provide whatever is needed, which may require extra preparation time or money.

If you don't want parents bringing food, I would perhaps say that as a rule you provide all meals, but if a child has particular needs you will work with parents.
Some of my parents provide food, some don't. I just go with the flow. If they do provide food I make it clear that I won't serve anying that is past it's use by date (one parent had a habit os fending out of date yoghurts) and if the food isn't particularly healthy I'll either make suggestions on what to send, or suggest I take over providing food.

Hmmm, thank you some good points there.
I do some adhoc care for a child who can only eat halal food and I deal with that but I think maybe I'll do as you suggest.

Thanks all :thumbsup:

AliceK
23-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Hmmm, thank you some good points there.
I do some adhoc care for a child who can only eat halal food and I deal with that but I think maybe I'll do as you suggest.

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Boris
23-08-2012, 07:47 AM
I stupidly agreed to let one child bring a packed lunch because he was being a pain about eating at my house and his mum just let him rule the roost! It was a huge mistake. The other children always wanted what he had and it caused all sorts of problems. Never again - unless it's a special dietary need!