PDA

View Full Version : need to let of steam!!

Tazmin68
22-08-2012, 02:20 PM
I need to have a little rant.
I care for a child with a disability and we went to a local chldrens centre stay and play. Child always gets a little upset when somewhere new which I explained to staff member. Child was not wearing normal special boots was in sandles which is what was wearing when arrived.
I had an unanounced visit from Ofsted as cc had made a complaint that child was not wearing appropriate footwear and that was upset as cc and that I was not comforting him all the time.
I explained that child arrived in sandles not in boots I did not change footwear. I have been advised not to accept child from parent unless in boots a safeguarding issue - what about parental choice.
I explained that pre school learning allianze had stated to not always comfort child if upset as got to get used to changes as starting pre school in Sept.
I was advised again that I should have divulged more infor about the chld to cc staff - what about confidentiality.

The end result is no further action anyway as found to be meeting child's needs but annoyed that I will have this in my complaints log for the next 5 years and that not one member of cc staff approached me to ask about this child.

blue bear
22-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I would expect the staff to at least come and ask you if you needed help settling little one which would have given you a chance to explain. Why on earth would they just ring ofsted?
Do they ring ss rather than ask parents if worried about a child, very odd IMO

Tazmin68
22-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Part of me felt like not going back to any of the other sessions over the school holidays but then I thought not fair on the children so I have been back twice nothing said. I am seriously debating over next Wednesday as I will have the same child with me and I feel that I will be watched all of the time we are there.

JCrakers
22-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Why didn't they bring it up with you at the time. A couple of simple questions about his footwear etc would have been a lot better than a sneaky complaint to ofsted.
They could have dropped it into conversation or come straight out and asked if they were concerned.

What makes me mad is people who think they've got the right to put a complaint in when they know no facts at all.
I have a boy with asbergers but when I arrive at the park and he's running around making humming noises and not joining in with the others I don't feel I have to divulge his differences in play to watchers. Its for me and his parents to know. If someone asked me why he wasn't joining in with the others I might explain.

caz3007
22-08-2012, 02:44 PM
How awful.

I had a little boy who had special boots and sometimes he came without them on, it was his mums choice and she was the one doing the physio and I never thought to question it as I knew she had his best interests at heart.

I am actually :eek:

Tazmin68
22-08-2012, 02:49 PM
I was asked about the fact that he seemed unsteady on his feet and explained that he normally wears specail boots but with the warm weather parents decided to put on sandals.

I also said to one staff member that it was normal behaviour that he walks around mentioning mum and periodically getting a little upset and he does this at a stay and play that dad takes him to as well.

i would have though that was enough info to give out.

my oldest has aspergers and his interest is computers the inspector was promptly told that her lap top was running slow that that she could do with a new faster processor !!!!

caz3007
22-08-2012, 06:12 PM
I also said to one staff member that it was normal behaviour that he walks around mentioning mum and periodically getting a little upset and he does this at a stay and play that dad takes him to as well.

i would have though that was enough info to give out.

my oldest has aspergers and his interest is computers the inspector was promptly told that her lap top was running slow that that she could do with a new faster processor !!!!

My LO asks lots about her mum and dad when she is here and when she is with them apparently she asks about me and my DS, so cant see how thats something that would cause them concern.

Hehehehe to your Oldest

singingcactus
22-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Have you spoken to mum about this whole thing. I would be tempted to ask mum to write to the childrens centre, or call them and tell them to wind their neck in!
I would be really cross if I felt my actions as the childs parents, with parental rights etc, had caused a problem for my childs precious carer because someone without the courage to talk to the carer had reported her for bogus issues.
I'm a little cross on your behalf. I would be gutted if that was on my record.

Tazmin68
22-08-2012, 07:01 PM
I did speak to sad. He was a little annoyed but one of the reasons I have had the child is 2 year old funding as child has disabilities and both parents have learning disabilities. I have never managed to get them to write input in diary so no chance of getting them to complain to the children's centre about this. The important thing is that it is unfounded but I don't think that I can really go there next week

Mouse
22-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Do you know for definite that it was th cc staff who put in a complaint?

It seems such an odd thing to do when they could easily have spoken to you about it.

I think I'd have to go in and ask why they did it.

BucksCM
22-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I would go in there and ask them outright why they felf the need to complain to ofsted rather than ask/talk to me!! :angry:
Do they know the implications of having ofsted round and that these sort of complaints stay on your record even if unfounded.
Having told them that the parents put him in those shoes, maybe ask why they then didn't ring SS and complain about the parents instead!! :angry:
I feel for you, I do.

Tazmin68
24-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Hii did call cc and a manager called me back. Staff member mentioned her concerns to supervisor at end of session was told that she should have raised them at the time so that a manager could have spoken to me straight away. Was told that the centre could not really take it further as was too late to speak to me and it was down to individual if she wanted to contact ofsted. I explained the outcome and that I havevti keep a record of thus complaint.and that I was not happy and should they have an issue then speak to me. I mentioned that I was concerned about attending wednesday sp session as I felt I was going to be watched. Have been told I am welcome and come along. She will be doing a staff meeting she reminding staff as to procedure involved should they have concerns
She has apologised for staff members actions.

rickysmiths
25-08-2012, 08:24 AM
I must confess I would be so angry I would be asking for a meeting with the Manager and the member of staff so i could explain to the member of staff the consequences of her actions realising what she has put you through and to get an apology from them. Maybe they will think twice next time!

I wouldn't cross their threshold again either. This isn't the first time I have heard this happening there I'm sure was a Thread on here about a cm who had a similar style complaint made by a cc.

I hate cc with vengeance. I think they should all be closed down and the money invested in Health Visitors who used to know the children and families they cared for and were valued in the community.

All the cc seem to work according to their own agendas and are so far up themselves. Our local one hasn't welcomed cms. Then this week when I was on holiday I got an email invite to a drop in day the next day :laughing::laughing: Are they stupid. In August and less than 24 hours notice!!! It did make me laugh they really have no idea how we work!!