PDA

View Full Version : Would you have charged?

JCrakers
22-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Dd is 10 and last time she had a friend round she asked in front of mum if I could childmind her friend...lol . Her friend is 10 also. They are in same class at school and get together at each others houses every now and again.

Mum said she was working certain days throughout the holidays but she had got a club sorted for dd to go to but might need a little help with a couple of days.
I heard nothing so assumed she had sorted it or was put on the spot by my dd.

Then she texted last week to say would i mind having her dd today and tomorrow 9-3 and let me know your rates.
I replied I would have her as it would be nice for my dd to have a friend round and I wouldn't charge her as it didn't feel right. She could just come round and play.

She thanked me and came round with some flowers this morning. :D

I am basically looking after her while mum works but I just didn't feel right taking money from dd friends mum.
It's a bit of a tough one isn't it. Would you have charged?

BucksCM
22-08-2012, 09:15 AM
As a rule of thumb, if a friend asks me "to do a favour" and look after their child, I will...as a friend.
But, if asked "can I look after and what are you fees" I do quote them my fees.
Most of my friends know I work in this basis. But I'm not afraid to charge as I am a business and I feel that them asking me my fees shows, in a way, that they respect what I do.
I have to say, i don't always charge! I'll ask for a little something towards the day out or a favour in return.
I often have friends round for a lo I cm. One of the mums does often use me for care and will pay, sometimes though, if I've arranged the playdate she'll offer to pay but as I invited I don't take the money.
Gone on a bit...sorry! Hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say:o

Mouse
22-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Dd is 10 and last time she had a friend round she asked in front of mum if I could childmind her friend...lol . Her friend is 10 also. They are in same class at school and get together at each others houses every now and again.

Mum said she was working certain days throughout the holidays but she had got a club sorted for dd to go to but might need a little help with a couple of days.
I heard nothing so assumed she had sorted it or was put on the spot by my dd.

Then she texted last week to say would i mind having her dd today and tomorrow 9-3 and let me know your rates.
I replied I would have her as it would be nice for my dd to have a friend round and I wouldn't charge her as it didn't feel right. She could just come round and play.

She thanked me and came round with some flowers this morning. :D

I am basically looking after her while mum works but I just didn't feel right taking money from dd friends mum.
It's a bit of a tough one isn't it. Would you have charged?

In this situation I would have charged as mum made it clear that she would need you for childcare & asked what your rates are.

If I offer to have a child (ie. parents mention they have to be somewhere & I offer to have their child) I don't charge, but if they ask me on a childcare basis then I do.

My DD has several firnds who I have childminded for one offs. I've worked it as above - if parents ask I charge, if I offer I don't.

If I do charge I tend to spend a bit more on the children that day. Eg. I will take them somewhere & buy them something, or I'll buy a more expensive craft activity for them to do.

EmmaReed84
22-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I think it depends on a few things.

I have a friend who I sometimes look after her LO for free as a favour, please her LO is my DS's friend so it is nice for them... The only reason I do this is because my friend will invite my DS round for the day so to me it is like friends playing round each others houses, IYSWIM...

However I also have another friend who has never had my DS's come to play EVER! Her DS always asks her and puts her on the spot and she shuffles about and changes the subject or they just happen to have something on, so when I do have her child I charge her my standard fee (not ad hoc rate)

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 04:42 PM
As a rule of thumb, if a friend asks me "to do a favour" and look after their child, I will...as a friend.
But, if asked "can I look after and what are you fees" I do quote them my fees.
Most of my friends know I work in this basis. But I'm not afraid to charge as I am a business and I feel that them asking me my fees shows, in a way, that they respect what I do.
I have to say, i don't always charge! I'll ask for a little something towards the day out or a favour in return.
I often have friends round for a lo I cm. One of the mums does often use me for care and will pay, sometimes though, if I've arranged the playdate she'll offer to pay but as I invited I don't take the money.
Gone on a bit...sorry! Hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say:o

same here. :D

karen m
22-08-2012, 05:34 PM
I would of charged (mean i no ) but i wonder if you have set yourself up for free childcare any other time she needs you, were if you had charged this time on another occassion if you were just saying home maybe done it for free stating "as we are just staying home today "

tas
22-08-2012, 06:44 PM
If it was a one off I wouldn’t charge but if it was to be a regular occurrence then of course that would be different. I have an arrangement with one of my sons school friends in that we share care, if she needs childcare I will have her son and in return she will have mine another day. This has worked well for us over the last few years as it gives my son a break from being around little ones, I don’t offer care for school children so it can get a bit wearing for a 10 year old having to go out with a group of under 4’s

dette
22-08-2012, 08:47 PM
by not charging it may make it difficult for the mam to ask again .Much easier for her if she knows how much it may be for next time .Give her your rates next time you see her and say if she thinks she might use you next hols then you can book her in and save organising a club for her ,Offer special mates rates :)

miffy
22-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I would have charged because mum made it clear it was a business enquiry by giving you the hours and asking your rates.

Miffy xx

LChurch
23-08-2012, 08:42 AM
It is so difficult isn't it, I used to mind for a mum who was also a friend, sadly she got cancer and needed extra childcare etc, her lo at the time was not quite 3 when first diagnosed, at one point we didn't think she wouldn't see his 3rd bday but she made it to his 7th! However she was working as well, I charged her when she was working but wouldn't charge her when she was having treatment. It worked well for both of us this way and her lo and my lo went to same preschool and school, they then moved away when he was 5. But up until then they would have sleepovers etc at each others houses, purely as a friend basis not as a minder and it worked well doing it like this. But you have to have a very good relationship for it to work well like this. Sadly she died this year just a couple of months after his 7th bday. It is difficult when your own children want to play with friends etc, sometimes I will charge if it is likely to be abused but I would feel guilty at other times if it was just the odd hour! Sorry I have gone on a bit there! I think I am still coming to terms with her death, she was the type of woman who left a gaping hole in your life!

Hope it helps putting things in perspective etc!

KarenM
27-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Last holidays I had been looking after a 10 year old after school who had become good friends with my daughter. I knew the Mum had care arranged for her youngest daughter as she was young enough to go to work with her (creche). However we arranged the oldest one could come and play, no charge, and in return my daughter could go round there to give me a break too. This worked really well as a mutual agreement, but if there had been no reciprocal care I would have charged.