PDA

View Full Version : Child moving to new childminder

toddlingtigers
22-08-2012, 08:24 AM
One of my mindees is moving to the new childminder as parent's days of work changed recently and I couldn't accommodate her. The little one has only been with me for 2 months. My question is: are the documents like daily dairy and learning journey staying with me or do i have to give any of those to parent to pass to the new childminder please? Thank you in advance for your help :)

EmmaReed84
22-08-2012, 08:27 AM
I believe they go with the parent.

VeggieSausage
22-08-2012, 08:35 AM
These would both go to the family....

bunyip
22-08-2012, 08:46 AM
My take on this is that you created them, so they remain your intellectual property.

But I'd consider it best practice to hand them over to the parents.

If you really want copies, I'd ask for parental consent as a courtesy.

They're not really much use to you at inspection, as inspectors are only interested in the records for children currently in your care at the time they come a-knocking. I suppose they could conceivably become a reference tool for reflective practice?

AliceK
22-08-2012, 08:52 AM
You should pass them on to the parents. I know when I have taken on a child from another childminder I have asked the parents if I can have a look at their LJ from their previous minder. When my teachers LO left me before the summer hols she was delighted with her DS's LJ, said it made her all emotional. I still have my DS's from nursery which I look at from time to time, they're lovely things to keep.

xxxx

rickysmiths
22-08-2012, 11:43 AM
My take on this is that you created them, so they remain your intellectual property.

But I'd consider it best practice to hand them over to the parents.

If you really want copies, I'd ask for parental consent as a courtesy.

They're not really much use to you at inspection, as inspectors are only interested in the records for children currently in your care at the time they come a-knocking. I suppose they could conceivably become a reference tool for reflective practice?

My understanding is that all the developmental record's you hold on a child are the property of the child even though you created them so they go with the child when they leave.

I only keep a copy if I think there might be a problem in the future.

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 02:22 PM
when i was moving i kept a copy ( with permission ) of a LJ, as i was due an inspection, and i wanted to be able to show what my LJs looked like, as it was possible that i would only have a few weeks worth of stuff to show ...

as it happens, almost 18mths on, i'm still waiting for my inspection and have piles of LJs !!!

karen m
22-08-2012, 05:48 PM
I had lo move to new minder in July as his family where moving to a new town i passed on lj ,no room in my house to keep things that will not be needed ,Ofsted won't want to see them as child has left