PDA

View Full Version : which storage?

tashaleee
22-08-2012, 07:21 AM
I need to change my storage... Im really lucky in that I have a separate playroom (conservatory) so have the space but I cant decide what to buy... Im thinking of either the Ikea Expedit http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00208646/ with these boxes http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90059618/

but then I saw the Ikea Trofast
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S19858247/
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49850438/

not quite sure which route to go but thought about stacking 2 trofast as assume I can.....

If you have either of these already - can you think of any negatives please? Both look good... but I cant decide which I prefer so am 'researching' with all your help please :laughing:

Any thoughts will be gratefully received :thumbsup:

AliceK
22-08-2012, 07:25 AM
I have the Expedit big one. It's great I can keep the things that littlies shouldn't have on the higher shelves and then right on the top I can put things that only I need. It looks great and you can change the look by using different boxes. But it does need to be fixed to the wall.

xxxx

tashaleee
22-08-2012, 07:38 AM
I have the Expedit big one. It's great I can keep the things that littlies shouldn't have on the higher shelves and then right on the top I can put things that only I need. It looks great and you can change the look by using different boxes. But it does need to be fixed to the wall.

xxxx

Fixing to the wall isnt a problem..... my main worry with the Expedit one is how I would store things like A4 paper and my craft stuff in the box... and at the moment I have things like the Happy Land box (the zip one that folds out) and a few other chunky toys on top which I dont think would go in a box....)

I think my problem is I prefer the 'look' of Expedit... but the Trofast seems to give better options for storage (but when I was in Ikea I didnt take any notice of the Trofast as boxes were not clear)... why is nothing easy... :laughing:

gegele
22-08-2012, 07:40 AM
i have the big one but i need to downsize i think.

mine is not attached.

blue bear
22-08-2012, 07:46 AM
I have trofast, the trays takes loads and am really pleased with them.

The only thing I would say is they do look very class roomy and not very homey if you see what I mean. Not a problem for me as they are in the play room, not sure I'd want them in my lounge though.

They are really sturdy and even when the smaller children pull on the boxes they hold fast and don't fall. Bit tricky getting labels to stick on as the boxes are textured.

gegele
22-08-2012, 08:00 AM
i have a unit with trofast boxes in DD bedroom and i have big expidit in toy room.

trofast boxes don't hold enough because of their shape.
expidit boxes hold too much ah ah ah ah

JulieA
22-08-2012, 08:10 AM
I have expedit in my playroom. I have a few shelves with no boxes on them. On a couple of lower shelves I have some books for the children to help themselves. The top shelves hold all my paperwork - learning journeys, attendance registers etc, plus one box with all my statioery in it. I have some magazine boxes to hold A4 paper. On the very top I have three big crates which hold my Seasonal planning and resources.
I haven't fixed it to the wall as it doesn't move under the weight of all my things!

PixiePetal
22-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I have trofast - got it locally from an ebay sale :thumbsup:

Have added to it and as it is in playroom I don't mind the look of it but would have expedit if it was in my lounge

I like the different sizes of boxes and have extras which I store in the loft and rotate - mindees don't use all the dressing up stuff at the moment (some is in bigger sizes and I am minding under 4's) so I have it stored ready to bring and swap in when needed. Small trays are good for mindees paper and pens etc too.

I have tall units which can be attached to the wall and keep garage/castle/small dolls house on top :thumbsup:

BucksCM
22-08-2012, 08:50 AM
I have this one:
http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6178&d=1342624190
And I do love it. I have a 4x4 and a 2x4 on top.
As you can see, I haven't used the boxes in all the holes, I've mixed and matched, as the boxes do hold a lot and can be heavy for lo. (they know I have to pull them out)

JCrakers
22-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I have trofast :D I bought them a couple of months ago and really pleased with them. I have 10 boxes of different sizes plus 4 more on top.
I bought the tiered one and the small low long one.

The different sized boxes are handy for the toys. The small boxes hold cars, play food, a small track I have. The larger boxes hold my happy tracks, brio, farm set.

I do have a playroom though so they look good in there. If I had to put it in my lounge or dining room I would have gone for expidit as the trofast is quite colourful

Boris
22-08-2012, 02:47 PM
I have both! The trofast are great but the Expedit hold more. I've got big stuff like all the duplo, happlyland, teddies etc in the expedit and in the trofast I've got some trays with cars, people, animals etc in. You can get 3 different sized boxes for the trofast which is handy and they're nice colours too!

singingcactus
22-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I have some of those boxes in my lounge and I find they are not massively sturdy for the little ones. If they break they crack into massive shards which do cut the flesh like glass (as my heavy handed hubby found out). I have some of the cupboards and some of the black boxes and some of those plastic ones in the lounge (I don't allow the kids to use the plastic ones).
In the dining room I have more of the units filled with these and also some ben 10 lidded toy boxes (can be used as seats too) from argos. I also have some that have no crates in them just books or other ...junk.

I find that the trofast stuff just looks a bit half finished to me and not as nice as the expedit stuff.

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 03:44 PM
i have this unit from argos and have just worked out what boxes fit ( 35l wham boxes with lids )

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7190250/Trail/searchtext%3ETOY+STORAGE.htm

i'm considering getting another to put on the top, or they do a 2 by 2 unit which i might get!

very sturdy and i don't have the casters on !!!

LittleVoice
22-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I have the trofast ones and I have to say I love it. I love that you can get 3 different sized boes and there are enough runners provided for all possible sizes of boxes.

What I also like about the trofast is that you can get lids for the boxes so they can stack easily too.Obviously you wouldnt want it too high with midee abouts but they can be stored out of the way and rotate toys.

Monkey26
22-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Expedit for me! :thumbsup: xx

deb thompson
22-08-2012, 09:19 PM
we have trofast storage in the play room, in white, you can get a few different shapes, we have the one that steps down next to a straight one, they hold tons of stuff, especially if you get some of the really deep boxes, you can also get lids for them (i got a few) but htere's no point they don't stay on long enough. the step one is fab for storing stuff on top as you can get all sorts on there and they are still accessible (maybe a bit too accessible) for little ones..hwever my 2 yr old ds favourite hobby is to pull all the boxes out and empty them on the floor as fast as he can....
x