PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone switched from C/Minder to Nanny?

acorns
21-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Due to a change in the health of one of my children I am very sadly considering giving up minding :crying:. But as I love it I was thinking about doing some Nannying whilst mine are at school. It's something I've never done & wanted to know if anyone else cared for children in their own home as opposed to the childminders own home. Also if it would be possible to have the nannied child in my home, I assumed that this would be ok for a max of 2hrs per day??

AliceK
21-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I used to be a nanny and sometimes think about going back to it when I am fed up of being taken for granted and having my house trashed. I wouldn't rule it out. Good luck :thumbsup:

xxx

loocyloo
21-08-2012, 06:45 PM
a friend stopped childminding when circumstances changed and nanny/housekeepered for one of her parents. she found it hard sometimes being 'told' what needed to be done/where she had to be, but didn't miss the paperwork!!! she used to have LO at her house after school with her own children, rather than take everyone to LOs house. but would be at LOs house during the day.

sadly though the parents started to take her for granted and took the mick a bit and so it has all ended very badly. ( thats not to say it will for you. parents were 'high maintenance' )

i used to nanny and would do so again, i have always worked on the provisio that as long as i had the children where they needed to be and when, with whatever they needed, it was up to me what we did! and i would not necessarily be waiting in for boiler repair men/parcels/the cleaner or taking stuff to the dry cleaners/the dog to the vet etc unless it fitted in with what we where already doing ;)

good luck.

if you stay registered with ofsted, then parents can still claim tax credits.

JCrakers
21-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I used to be a nanny before I went into childminding. It is different and depending on who you work for depends on what you will need to do.

I didn't do housework so didn't go for jobs wanting that but some families will expect nursery duties,cooking and cleaning.

Nanny jobs do tend to be full days and occasional babysitting and some families may ask for weekend every now and again.
I used to work 730-630pm and I lived in and out.
You could maybe find a part time nanny job and you could register with agencies.

You would have to nanny from their house not your own house and they would pay your tax and
I enjoyed being a nanny and may go back into it when my two children are old enough to look after themselves.

acorns
21-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks. I did think that I could continue to be a self employed nanny- not sure if I like the idea of someone else paying my tax etc & defo have enough of my own cleaning & ironing, but would expect to do all the usual childminding stuff with a little bit of home helping. Similar to the above post I'd intend to bring the child back to mine after school. I do some babysitting at the moment & it feels a lot 'freer' than childminding & I'm not constanly reviewing what I'm doing but just enjoying their company & playing!!

The Juggler
21-08-2012, 08:56 PM
sorry to hear your child is not in such good health honey.

if you go back to nannying then def. go self employed and set your own rules - I think you'd find it hard to go back to being told what to do when you've been your own boss for so long.

Go along and tell them how YOU work. you cannot nanny in your own home though hon :panic:

handeme
22-08-2012, 06:27 AM
I too have thought this. My cousin and her hubby have very high status jobs so when the decide to have children they won't be able to have much time off work wise.

She has already approached me and asked if I would consider being her nanny.

I would do the same nanny at hers during the day and my house from school. What hourly rates do nannys get paid, roughly x

acorns
22-08-2012, 12:33 PM
In my area the hourly rate is between about £6.50 and £8.00. I'd imagine that if you were looking after more children then it would be nearer £8.00 & £6.50 for one child. Nannying would be tricky for me in the school holidays though. I don't think there much demand for an evening only nanny!!

LittleVoice
22-08-2012, 02:28 PM
I was a nanny for a lot of years before going into a nursery. Then i registered as a childminder when i had my daughter but due to disovering i was pregnant again as i got my certificate through i never started childminding however as I was about to start as a childminder I was asked to be a nanny and so i am now employed as a self employed nanny.

I am still registered with ofsted as a nanny and childminder so the parents can claim tax credits and childcare vouchers and I have to say for me it is perfect. So i dont get out of habit I still do everything that i would have done as a childminder so all the paper work, lj, risk assessments. Also my 2 children come with me (they are 1 and 3) so as the family i work for proivdes food for us i charge a lower a amount than the £12ph i normally charged. It works well for all of us.

The family are great and my girls love the children i look after too. And i have to say the best part of it is i get to be with my girls still but get to go home to a tidy home, and my work and home life are seperate too which is nice.

The children I look after sometimes come over to my house to have a play with our toys but 75% of the time we're based at the familys house.
Being self employed is nice as i (to an extent) choose what i do and dont.
I dont do any of the house work which in previous jobs (before i had my own children) i did. I also get 4 weeks paid holiday, 2 weeks i choose and 2 weeks the parent chooses.

Luckily for me the family i work for are lovely and we get on really well. As a nanny it is harder to keep a professional relationship when you're in someone else home but if you set out the boundaries first then it makes it a lot easier.