PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and need a bit of help!

cabbagepatch
21-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi All ...

I'm hoping for a bit of help and guidence from you all. I have my first mindees starting with me next month. The parents are signing contracts with me this week, I'll also be asking them to fill out an all about me and the permission forms. Is there anything else I need at start up?

I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old signing this week ... to start October
then I have a 8 months old and a 1 year old signing to start february.

I'm feeling really nervious now and worried I miss something!

In terms of initial obs/starting point ... does anyone have a guide of what they do? then I'm guessing I just use the initial obs to plan and them obs of that and so on! :panic: When do I make my initial Obs?

Thanks all x

bunyip
21-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Starting point = all about me form + parents' input + input from any other setting they attend + your own observations for the first few weeks.

You also need a child record form. Check 'new improved' EYFS Framework for the information you are legally required to keep for each child: sections 3.67-3.71 for details.

I think that's about the minimum. There are other things you could use in addition.

cabbagepatch
21-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Starting point = all about me form + parents' input + input from any other setting they attend + your own observations for the first few weeks.

You also need a child record form. Check 'new improved' EYFS Framework for the information you are legally required to keep for each child: sections 3.67-3.71 for details.

I think that's about the minimum. There are other things you could use in addition.

Thanks Bunyip ...ops yes forgot the Child record forms.

Can you give me ideas of what other things I could use in addition? As I say I am new to all this and dont want to mess up before I begin :)

bunyip
21-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Off the top of my head. Bear in mind some of these items may already be on your contracts, depending on which you use.

Parental responsibility (I should've mentioned this before - it's a requirement.)
List of people who have pemission to collect.
List of other settings the lo attends, with parents' permission to share information.
I do a short emergency medical consent form, with photo of the child, which I laminate and take with me when I go out, in case of emergency.
Any regular medication consent, allergies, etc.
Practical stuff like any holiday/training dates that either party may have booked - anything you can think of now that won't creep up later and bite you on the a:censored:e.

I also do a record of the child's individual needs to help me get a snapsht of their likes/dislikes/fears; favourite activities/toys/games; who's who in th family; special words they have for things; routines; etc. etc. All the stuff you thing it might be useful to know. hink what a child might need you to know, but be too shy/scared/culture-shocked to be able to comunicate in her first few days in a strange environment. :thumbsup:

Btw, on the subject of starting points, my CM friend says she never lets them sound too bright when they start, as it makes it harder to demonstrate that they've progressed. But i couldn't possibly suggest something lik that....;)

bunyip
21-08-2012, 07:53 PM
And another thing....

I give parents a card with my number on that says, "I am a mum/dad and my child may be being cared for by a childminder. If I'm involved in an accident, please call [bunyip's phone]"

I then carry a card that says, "I am a registered childminder. I may have children with me that are not my own. If I'm involved in an accident, please call ######" The phone number on my card is actually a neighbour's. She has all my client's numbers (with their consent) so she can call them all if I get squished by a falling meteorite or runaway steamroller.

(After which, I'll look like this>>>> :littleangel:)