PDA

View Full Version : Pets

melco
21-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Hi,

We have no pets at the moment and I would like to get something that is for my girls aged 5 and 8 and for the mindees.

I want a rabbit but my husband wants a budgie as he says they are cheaper (excuse the pun).

What pets have others cm's on here got? Is having a rabbit really expensive? My husband has asked me to find out prices etc.

A few years ago we had a cat that cost us a lot of money in Vet bill and he died really young so my husband doesn't want to be spending lots of money again.

I think we should get both as he gets what he wants and I get what I want but whats annoying is he always ends up making the decision!

Thanks in advance

melco

Roseolivia
21-08-2012, 07:33 AM
I have a dog and she's a nightmare, great with kids but likes to escape all the time. We also have chickens which the kids love but you need space.

Sorry not much help am I?

Nanny66
21-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Hi,
I have dogs, terrapins and fish. they are all fine, it might put people off I'm not sure? I think it's nice for children to learn about pets, where they originated, what they eat and taking them for walks etc. if it's done correctly children will be aware of the responsibility of a pet and also understanding the joys they can bring.
Yeah, get a pet each then everyone's happy.:)

clareelizabeth1
21-08-2012, 08:08 AM
I have dogs cat sheep pigs and chickens have had other things in the past but this is the current list.

I would say get some baby chicks. Los love them as you can keep them in a box inside for the first three weeks. Then move them to the garden. No vet bills all you need to do is fill the feeder with food make sure they always have water. Shut them in at night. And you get to eat yummy eggs for breakfast. OFSTED loved the fact I let the children feed them. I also had a duck in my frount room when OFSTED came I think it won the inspection for me lol.

dette
21-08-2012, 08:15 AM
We have a netherland dwarf rabbit.He's lovely ,just a nice size to handle ,cost about £25 ive had him 4 years.he lives in an indoor cage in my utility room.all the kids love him.One bag of food lasts a couple of months and no vet bills as yet so very cheap to run.definitly recomend.google them ...totaly gorgeous

AliceK
21-08-2012, 08:26 AM
We have a dog, 2 cats, 4 rabbits, a hamster and a GAL.
If you are going to have a rabbit to live outside you should really get 2 to live together as they are not solitary animals and need company. I have 2 girls who live together and 2 boys who live together. The outlay is not cheap as hutches and runs are quite expensive but after that their day to day costs are very cheap.

xx

Two Princesses
21-08-2012, 08:34 AM
With any animal there is always the risk of vet bills (RSPCA on your back if you don't seek vet's attention for a sick animal!!) and most animals should have vaccines and yearly boosters so you need to be prepared for those too.

At the moment we have 1 cat (did have 4 but 3 have died over the last 2 years), 5 goldfish and now we have just rehomed a rabbit who was found over the local park by 2 young girls.
Rabbits aren't considered childrens pets as it's really easy for the novelty to wear off but they are fairly easy to look after (I think!) and if you're taking charge then the children will just get to help and stroke it too :thumbsup: Ours is a female (4-6 months old) and we've been advised to get her neutered as it reduces the risk of illnesses later on. We've also be advised that she could do better with a friend and a neutered male would be the best bet. I'm just looking into the cost of neutering now :panic:. Rabbits should also be vaccinated with an annual booster.
I'm afraid I know nothing about the cost of birds but would imagine that they would be cheaper. :D
I think it's great for children and animals to mix as it teaches them to be gentle too.

Daftbat
21-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I didn't have a pet for years and thought it would be a nightmare with the minding but having been railroaded in to having a dog I have found its one of the best things we have ever done.

I have a German Shepherd who is 4 and has been with us since he was 6 weeks old. The children get lots out of him being around. Once I realised that house trainiing is really potty training in disguise then I was fine.

Having a pet teaches the children about caring for others, the importance of exercise and good food as well as having fun with him. I have had parents specifically ask me to have their children in an attempt to get over their fears of dogs which I have found extremely positive.

The one thing I would say is that if you are thinnking of a dog then you must do some proper training with them. We did - even did it twice (puppy training) - and the results have been fantastic. It's definitely not on to have a dog which is out of control whether or not you are a child minder.

primula
21-08-2012, 08:58 AM
If I were you I would probably go for a budgie! because rabbits do make lovely pets but they do need company if they are to live outside, housing can be expensive, need protection from predators and kids sadly do lose interest as they get older and then you will have to take care of them! some rabbits can get ill and will need trips to the vets.. A budgie (male) can be taught to talk and a lot more manageable, especially if you go on holiday!

FussyElmo
21-08-2012, 09:39 AM
We have 5 chickens, 2 dogs and a fish, Im working on dh to get a rabbit :)

I think with any animal the children will get bored eventually.

Must admit the chickens have their own fenced off area as i couldnt deal with their pooh everywhere :thumbsup:

gegele
21-08-2012, 12:08 PM
we have a tortoise. he's gorgeous :-)

i wanted to call him Rabbit but it was decided that as a childminder it wasn't the best idea:

look it's Rabbit the tortoise LOL:D

Boris
21-08-2012, 12:13 PM
We have a grumpy cat, a lunatic puppy and a geriatric hamster! :D All lots of fun!

tamsin
21-08-2012, 12:13 PM
A rabbit will set you back as much as a cat, the initial cost isn't too bad, but you've got annual vaccinations £20-40, neutering (£50-120) - and you definitely want to neuter with children as they can get aggressive/spray/poop is left intact, vets bills will set you back about the same as a cat. For example, a teeth trim £50-200, mites £30, fleas £30, out of hours appointment £100+treatment costs. I have insurance £10 per month, though of course you've still got an excess to pay on treatment (£50) but if you've got a £700 bill (broken leg) you appreciate it. Rabbit's a social so you need two (double your expenses).

I've never had budgies, but I imagine the vets bills can also be expensive as they'd count as an exotic. I think a lot of pets are like that, not too expensive until they break a leg and then you're buying the vet a new car.

I wouldn't get a pet for the children, get one for you - presuming you want one :) You'll be doing all the work/taking the responsibility and even a rabbit is going to live 10 years and most teenagers aren't interested.

Tazmin68
21-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi
I have a dog and a guinea pig. Dog has been an issue with inspectors in the past. Guinea is kept in an indoor cage. Easy to keep no vets bills as yet and is 6 years old. Most expensive was cage 40. Food approx 3 for two months. Hay costs £5 for two months and wood shavings about £2 a month. Very take so I can cut his nails which a vet would charge £8 a time I do that about three times a year.

Boris
21-08-2012, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Tazmin68;1145633]Hi
I have a dog and a guinea pig. Dog has been an issue with inspectors in the past. /QUOTE]

Oh dear! Why? I haven't been inspected since I had my dog! x

dette
22-08-2012, 11:08 AM
we have a tortoise. he's gorgeous :-)

i wanted to call him Rabbit but it was decided that as a childminder it wasn't the best idea:

look it's Rabbit the tortoise LOL:D

my brother has a dog called pig :)

JCrakers
22-08-2012, 11:46 AM
We have two cats a hamster and we did have two dwarf hamsters but one died of old age last month :(

The dwarf hamsters are the cutest thing you have ever seen. I'm not keen on the hamster.
Dwarf hamsters are for older children and you need to sit down whilst handling because they are very fast. Not recommended for young children

A rabbit or guinea pig would probably be the same expense as a cat.
My cat bills are £80 a year on jabs, worming and fleaing is about £30 every quarter.
Pet insurance is £10 a month which I feel is worth every penny
Then I have to pay when we go on holiday and food obviously :D

It depends if you want to pet the animals as a budgie isn't very cuddly :D
A guinea pig would probably be a good idea.

BuggsieMoo
22-08-2012, 01:30 PM
We've got a Rabbit, A guinea pig, a cat, a dog and a giant african land snail. My trick is to wait until the hubby has to go away and then get a new pet :blush:

Guinea pigs are friendlier than rabbits and 'talk' to you - however both are friendly if you handle them correctly.

We have a run in the middle of our garden against a fence so the children get to see them all the time - but are only allowed to handle them with adult supervision. The dog goes to work with my hubby 99% of the time and the cat comes and goes as he pleases. He however is fantastic with the kids and if he thinks he is in for a stroke and some cuddles, he is hanging around your feet - he clearly knows when he is onto a good thing.

We're also looking for a horse/pony to loan - but obviously this would be ours and its cruical we take our time in finding the right one. x

singingcactus
22-08-2012, 02:01 PM
We have snakes, cats, gerbils, and snails. We have bearded dragons on order for later this year. And we foster the house rabbit from across the road when they go away....as well as the whole neighbourhoods cats.

I seem to think there are risks involved with having birds in an early years setting - due to some illnesses being passed on more easily to children under 5, especially as birds live in cages not tanks or vivs. But you'd need to check that yourself.

There is a risk of cross contamination from reptiles too, but it's best not to allow the children into the vivariums anyway, for the sake of any reptile. And if you do then ensure the kids use the antibac wash straight away, every time.

If you want a really cheap pet you could always fill a small faunarium with soil and have the kids collect a few native snails and keep them for a while. They are quite fun, but don't need any interaction if you don't feel like it. Just pop in a cuttlefish bone, some veg and some water and you're away.

tinkerbelle
22-08-2012, 04:16 PM
iv got 3 dogs, 3 cats, 4 kittens, 1 rabbit and a corn snake as well as tropical fish the snake is the easiest to look after feeds once a fortnight on a baby rat and thats it

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 04:53 PM
We have snakes, cats, gerbils, and snails. We have bearded dragons on order for later this year. And we foster the house rabbit from across the road when they go away....as well as the whole neighbourhoods cats.

I seem to think there are risks involved with having birds in an early years setting - due to some illnesses being passed on more easily to children under 5, especially as birds live in cages not tanks or vivs. But you'd need to check that yourself.

There is a risk of cross contamination from reptiles too, but it's best not to allow the children into the vivariums anyway, for the sake of any reptile. And if you do then ensure the kids use the antibac wash straight away, every time.

If you want a really cheap pet you could always fill a small faunarium with soil and have the kids collect a few native snails and keep them for a while. They are quite fun, but don't need any interaction if you don't feel like it. Just pop in a cuttlefish bone, some veg and some water and you're away.

i would love a bearded dragon ( or any reptile of that type ) but the rest of the family not so keen! :D

i'd love to do this, quite keen on getting an african land snail, but DS (10) has admitted this summer that he is frightened of snails !!! i'm sure he never used to be, however, i don't know about keeping one as a pet! we saw one at the weekend and DS turned very pale and green. although, maybe it would help!( mind you, i'm sure us chasing him around with snails and laughing isn't helping either!) i was going to say we have loads of snails in the garden, but suddenly they all vanished and yesterday afternoon we found out why! ... a little hedgehog was sitting on the patio ! soooo cute! ( quick question? do hedgehogs eat courgettes? - as i have a couple of plants in pots on the patio ... and ALL the courgettes hanging over the edge have been gnawed! :D )

we have a delinquent cat who loves the children and vice versa. DS has some fish and DD is desperate for some guinea pigs, and as i grew up with them, i'm happy to get some ... just need to work on DH ;) we also all want a dog, but can't decide on a breed!

singingcactus
22-08-2012, 05:52 PM
i would love a bearded dragon ( or any reptile of that type ) but the rest of the family not so keen! :D

i'd love to do this, quite keen on getting an african land snail,

Well, when we get ours you could always drive over and have a cuddle every so often lol. I have to wait till dh goes away on deployment later this year to get them. He says we have no space for them, but I'm sure I can make the space. He knows I'm getting them cos we keep joking about it, but he still keeps trying to tell me we have no room.

Tell you what, I could bring one of our GALS on Friday for you to foster for a month or so if you want. See if your son could cope.

loocyloo
22-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Well, when we get ours you could always drive over and have a cuddle every so often lol. I have to wait till dh goes away on deployment later this year to get them. He says we have no space for them, but I'm sure I can make the space. He knows I'm getting them cos we keep joking about it, but he still keeps trying to tell me we have no room.

Tell you what, I could bring one of our GALS on Friday for you to foster for a month or so if you want. See if your son could cope.

sounds a good idea but i jokingly mentioned borrowing the school snail ( sounds mad! ) one weekend and he was distraught! maybe another time ;) but i will have to come and have a cuddle of your dragons :D