PDA

View Full Version : COLOURED SAND

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Do you know where I can get any from at a reasonable price?

Do you know if you can get the same size as normal bags of play sand?

Do any of you have any?

I've found some but they are tiny bags and not really what I want.

Thanks

Angel xxx

miffy
21-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Good old tts -

http://www.tts-group.co.uk/shops/tts/Products/PD1728117/Coloured-Play-Sand/

Miffy xx

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Oh I looked there and couldn't find it ha thanks Miffy

Are these small bags though?

Angel xx

gegele
21-08-2012, 07:12 AM
i bought mine from a diy place who had offer one £2 :D 3different colour

The Juggler
21-08-2012, 07:15 AM
i am sure b&q used to do coloured sand :)

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 07:17 AM
i bought mine from a diy place who had offer one £2 :D 3different colour

That's good do you know which store that was

Angel xx

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 07:17 AM
i am sure b&q used to do coloured sand :)

I did ask there but they said no but I thought I had seen it before

Angel xx

Playmate
21-08-2012, 07:24 AM
You can mix sand with powder paint to change colours, I haven't tried it yet thought ;)

mama2three
21-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Homebase used to sell it but dont any more.
How about this.. http://zrecs.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/color-your-own-play-sand.html

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 07:35 AM
You can mix sand with powder paint to change colours, I haven't tried it yet thought ;)

Yes I heard that but I want to fill a whole sand pit,does it stain I wonder?

Angel xx

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Homebase used to sell it but dont any more.
How about this.. http://zrecs.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/color-your-own-play-sand.html

Thank you that looks a good idea if I want to use small amounts

Angel xx

gegele
21-08-2012, 07:46 AM
it's a Chandlers material in chelmsford but it was a while back :-) they delivered :thumbsup:

clareelizabeth1
21-08-2012, 07:51 AM
I tried to dye mine using food colouring like I do with rice. Big mistake it has to stay dry now because when it gets wet it dyes all the children and clothes purple. I was so horrified when a child can out with tye dye effect clothing. Parents very understanding but I was upset. Had to replace the sand.

Mummits
21-08-2012, 07:51 AM

Angel xx

They did this at our local children's centre. My little blonde girl ended up with green hair which took a LOT of washing out!

desiderata
21-08-2012, 08:23 AM
http://www.specialneedstoys.com/uk/sand-water/2270-coloured-play-sand.html

might be a bit pricey though xx

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 08:29 AM
They did this at our local children's centre. My little blonde girl ended up with green hair which took a LOT of washing out!

Sorry but that did make me laugh,the hulk springs to mind :laughing:

Don't think I will try this then ha ha

Angel xx

nikki thomson
21-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi, our local garden/pet centre sell coloured sand, have you tried a garden centre? Or failing that eBay, they sell everything on e-bay.
Word of warning though with coloured sand it really shows up everywhere, my dh decided to buy bright yellow sand for our sand pit I hated it as when it got spilt or the kids decided to take it to the other side of the garden or drag it through the house there were patches of bright yellow, the grass looked like it had done sort of disease, you can still still bits of yellow in the edge of the garden and it's been 3 yrs never again. Lol. X

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 08:39 AM
http://www.specialneedstoys.com/uk/sand-water/2270-coloured-play-sand.html

might be a bit pricey though xx

Thanks for that

Angel xx

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi, our local garden/pet centre sell coloured sand, have you tried a garden centre? Or failing that eBay, they sell everything on e-bay.
Word of warning though with coloured sand it really shows up everywhere, my dh decided to buy bright yellow sand for our sand pit I hated it as when it got spilt or the kids decided to take it to the other side of the garden or drag it through the house there were patches of bright yellow, the grass looked like it had done sort of disease, you can still still bits of yellow in the edge of the garden and it's been 3 yrs never again. Lol. X

Oh don't think I fancy that ,I never gave it a thought tbh,thanks for the tip.

Think I might weigh out my options then and just use small amounts now and again in the sensory tray rather than big amounts in the sandpit.

Thank you

Angel xx

Playmate
21-08-2012, 08:43 AM

Angel xx

This is what I'm unsure about. I have done alot with food colouring lately which seems to stain hands easily and my parents haven't been to chuffed :rolleyes: I currently have a child who has dreadful ezcema and seems to react to everything, so I have to be so careful :(

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 08:51 AM
This is what I'm unsure about. I have done alot with food colouring lately which seems to stain hands easily and my parents haven't been to chuffed :rolleyes: I currently have a child who has dreadful ezcema and seems to react to everything, so I have to be so careful :(

Yes my parents are not thrilled if they have a tiny Mark on them never mind bright green or yellow hands :laughing:

I might try this with a very small amount and test it myself first :laughing:I will let you know

Angel xx

nikki thomson
21-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Do you know where I can get any from at a reasonable price?

Do you know if you can get the same size as normal bags of play sand?

Do any of you have any?

I've found some but they are tiny bags and not really what I want.

Thanks

Angel xxx

Hi, I've had a look on the Internet as I'm not working and have nothing better to do, essentialsforeducation.co.uk sell £15kg bags for £10.00 ex vat, hth. X

angeldelight
21-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi, I've had a look on the Internet as I'm not working and have nothing better to do, essentialsforeducation.co.uk sell £15kg bags for £10.00 ex vat, hth. X

Thanks Nikki

Much better price

Here is the link if anyone wants it,they also have some sale items that look ok

http://www.essentialsforeducation.co.uk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=bf7kjbvpueibrm4codu74b2cd7&keyword=Coloured+play+sand

Angel xx

SYLVIA
21-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I got some from a garden centre a few years back. Saw the blue sand and thought just have to have that! NEVER AGAIN!! My patio was blue for months. EVery time it got put out of the pit it looked awful! Not keen on sand at the best of times but LO's love it. But no more coloured sand in my place.

blue bear
21-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I bought coloured play sand frommy garden centre, hands did not stain but clothes did, especially the blue and red. Not tempted to get it again