PDA

View Full Version : Nursery children only allowed outside for 2hrs a day.

nikki thomson
20-08-2012, 09:40 PM
On our local news tonight a nursery in Dorset is not allowed to let there children outside for learning and play for more than 2hrs a day due to complaints about noise from local residents, they have a beautiful garden for outdoor learning and play with a gazebo payed for by the governments quality access fund, the nursery has applied for the time limit to be increased by upto 5hrs but this has been turned down and upheld by a government inspector.
Needless to say the parents are not happy with this and although I appreciate noise levels I'm surprised they havn't been allowed to extend there outdoor time.
The manager said outdoor learning isn't about running around making lots of noise but being engaged in activities sad really. X

rickysmiths
21-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Is this a new Nursery then? It seems a very odd restriction.

Surely they would have had an idea when they opened it that because of the area it is in there may be a problem?

When they applied for planning permission was the use of outside not highlighted then? Or do they have a history of local complaints because of the noise?

I can't honestly see if they set up the business properly why there would suddenly be a need to restrict their use of an outside play area. I can't believe that a LA would do this without a very good reason.

christine e
21-08-2012, 05:47 AM
Think this is a case of being able to hear both sides of the story. Obviously I love children but if the nursery is right smack in the middle of housing and there is a large number of children attending I can imagine that the noise could be quite annoying for residents who want to spend some quiet time in their gardens. The sound of children playing can be lovely but it can be annoying if their are little ones moaning and wailing and adults shouting to each other. I know I was in Tesco on Sunday and a child there was making an awful noise and I can remember me thinking 'I can do without this on a Sunday:laughing:

Christine

The Juggler
21-08-2012, 07:26 AM
not sure where they stand on the legalities of it but I would not be a happy parent if that were the rule at my child's nursery :panic:

hectors house
21-08-2012, 07:31 AM
We live in a cul de sac with mostly OAP bungalows, I do sometimes have to ask the children to be a bit quieter as our neighbours don't work and want to enjoy their gardens as well on a sunny day. No one has every complained and I hope I wouldn't give them cause to.

It is a shame that the children in that Nursery can't enjoy their outdoor space more - surely they could have small groups of children rotating using the garden for exploration and craft activities, during the day and then a couple of times a day when more kids are allowed out to let off steam?

clareelizabeth1
21-08-2012, 08:12 AM
They are lucky they are aloud 2hours. I worked at a nursery and they only let the children out 15 minutes in the morning and 15 in the afternoon. It was do sad they would just stair longingly out the window. One of the main reasons I left the place

karensmart4
21-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Oh I find this sad... you have schools in the middle of housing estates ...ok I know they have specific times to use the outdoor space to let off steam but they also have PE times and outdoor classroom time so why has this nursery been singled out??

I work with a co minder and an assistant, we are registered for a max of 12 children, I live in a mid terrace and we use the garden from 7.30am til 6pm .....

Oooo just realised why my next door neighbours are moving :idea: (they are moving but reluctantly as they need a bigger house :) ).

Children should be allowed the freedom to explore (safely) and not be restricted to the indoor environment.