PDA

View Full Version : Giving up the dummy

handeme
20-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I have a mindee who likes his two or three dummies at nap time. Infact when he is at home he has them in constantly.

Anyway mum wants to send them to the dummy fairy at Christmas time, ideal time for me because I have time off but I wanted to do something with him on the lead up to getting rid of the dummy. Does anyone have any ideas?

x

jumpinjen
20-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Sorry - not been involved in this as an issue so have always left it to parents - my mindee that had them gave them up at mine two years before home!

Jen x

miffy
20-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I would talk to mum, she may have definite ideas of how she wants to tackle this.

Miffy xx

handeme
20-08-2012, 09:10 PM
She doesn't have any ideas, so asked me. My own children never had dummies and never had to do it with a mindee before. She was planning on just putting them under the tree on Christmas eve. I wanted to help prepare him a little because he is very attached to them at nap time. He is with me full time so ideally wanted to help them along x

miffy
20-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I suppose the obvious one is to do a countdown (like an advent calendar) and maybe make up a story about the dummy fairy collecting lo's dummy and leaving a present in return. Might get a bit confusing though with it being Christmas at the same time.

Miffy xx

smurfette
20-08-2012, 10:33 PM
One of my dds gave hers up at Christmas and we did it few nights before as we knew we would have a few rough ones!!! Didn't want no sleep Christmas eve

I got her to pic something she wanted in the toy shop and cut out pic from toy catalogue and she took the pic to bed with her with a promise it would be there in the morning

Naturally come bed time she wanted the dummy and lost interest in the Pressie but we were firm and once she got Pressie she was happier .,, after a couple nights she was grand

Not sure I would do it this way again though feel I might have given a bad image of santa (who took dummy for baby fairies)! One of my other dds said she wanted x toy to swap for dummy while we were in a toy shop and happily gave dummy to shop assistant to bin so I grabbed the opportunity and bought toy and left! Shop assistant did not look at all surprised must have dealt with it before . Course at bedtime didn't want toy and wanted dummy back but oh dear it was in bin at toy shop! Tricky bit Is making sure no more lying around house!

Think tbh a countdown might be building it up too much might be better being short and sweet, just talk about how it's going and what a big boy he is and then leave it for fairies .. Doesn't have to be Christmas if mum has made mind up why wait?!!

mama2three
21-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Im not sure xmas eve is the bast time to have a child who cant / wont sleep!

We gave ours to the easter bunny for the new babies , and ds got an extra present. Previous to that dummies were only allowed in bed for quite a while.

If mindee has it all the time at home this might be a good suggestion - dummies only for sleeptime as a step in the right direction. Much better for his speech too!

Roseolivia
21-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Rose loved hers and she was nearly 3 by the time she gave it up (although only mainly had it at bed times). We'd gone skiing and decided after the flight home that was it, the next day we binned them (kept 1 just in case) so she went cold turkey. She only asked once and has never had them since. Luckily Alfie never liked dummies so won't have that problem with him.

JCrakers
21-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Personally I wouldn't make a big deal of it. I would say we are giving the dummy fairies the dummies because theynneed them for their babies and they may leave a special gift. :D

Also I wouldn't choose Christmas to do it, I would choose a non specific day and stick to it

amanda1309
21-08-2012, 03:51 PM
My dd loved her dummies she only had them at bedtime but she really loved them :blush:

We gave them to Santa at my works Christmas party, luckily I was on first name terms with Santa so he knew to ask for them.

She handed them over without flinching and never asked for them again. I thought she would go berserk without them and scream the place down that night but she didn't.

We had been talking about it for a while so she knew what was happening and she just accepted it :clapping:

clareelizabeth1
21-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I wrote a story called the dummy fairy for one boy and he loved they story and still reads it now. But he wasn't to bothered about giving up his dummy at home as he had already given it up at mine as I kept forgetting to give it to him.

loocyloo
21-08-2012, 05:32 PM
as he had already given it up at mine as I kept forgetting to give it to him.

same thing happened here :blush: mum said one day they were trying to reduce dummies to sleeptime only ...

i thought he only had them at sleeptime and often forgot and he never asked! when i told her she said right! he can do it at home then! :D

handeme
21-08-2012, 07:48 PM
When he first came to me he always had one in his mouth. I now have got him that when he is with me he only has them when he is sleeping. You can see though when its pick up and drop offs he has them as soon as he is in the car seat.