PDA

View Full Version : cutlery

~Grasshopper~
20-08-2012, 12:33 PM
hi

i use ikea plastic bowls and cutlery for my children at the moment.

however i have an 8 and 10year old starting in sept is it too babyish to give them plastic cutlery?

should i get some more grown up bowls and spoons?

x

Velleity
20-08-2012, 12:34 PM
I'd give them adult cutlery at this age.

AliceK
20-08-2012, 12:36 PM
All of mine have proper metal cutlery from about 3. I have some proper cutlery but is for children so it's smaller and some of it has plastic handles but the main part is metal. Def an 8yr old would expect normal cutlery. I can just imagine my DS's face if he got given plastic :laughing:

xxxx

~Grasshopper~
20-08-2012, 12:50 PM
thats what i was thinking, however i already have an 8 nearly 9yr old mindee who always wants a weaning spoon!!!!!.

im going to buy some new cutlery from argos shortly they have value range stuff thats got good reviews and is only £3.55 and everyone can use it.

me and dp sometimes use plastic lol as our own cutlery tends to go missing :)

x

hectors house
20-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I went to visit a fellow childminder at the weekend and she dished up my piece of cake on an Ikea plastic plate - she then said "I don't know why I just did that" :laughing: But cake still tastes good even on plastic plates!

FussyElmo
20-08-2012, 02:01 PM
I always use plastic bowls and plates but do use proper cutlery :thumbsup:

blue bear
20-08-2012, 02:33 PM
My lot prefer the plastic cutlery, they choose.

handeme
20-08-2012, 02:44 PM
I had some new parents come to look round and I offered them a drink. When I opened the cupboard all I had was plastic cups. It was during the week and plastic cups get used more so the glasses were at the back of the cupboard. I thought they don't really want to see me going through cupboards so I offered them it in plastic cups. I made a point of saying, sorry for safety we only use plastic during the week, but it was very embarrassing! x

VeggieSausage
20-08-2012, 08:56 PM
I use normal plates, cutlery and cups/glasses for older mindees

miffy
20-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I would expect an 8 and 10 year old to use normal cutlery and plates.

Miffy xx

singingcactus
21-08-2012, 05:28 AM
I use real crockery and proper metal cutlery (although I do use smaller metal cutlery for the occasional child) from around 12-18 months. Hate plastic stuff with a passion.

I was visiting my dad last year (don't visit him very often at all) and was stunned when he gave my then 5 year old son a drink in a plastic cup. He has never used plastic except in the yard, was weaned from breast to glassware. So I personally would never give older children plastic.

rickysmiths
21-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Only the weaning spoons I have are plastic. I use smaller sized children's cutlery but it is metal even though some have plastic handles and they use it as soon as they are feeding themselves.

Certainly an 8 and 10 year old would be using adult cutlery, china plates and glasses at the table. I don't have so many older ones that I have cm stuff so in my house they would use what we use.