PDA

View Full Version : sarah's obs and planning tracker

jadavi
19-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I have just printed out Sarah's doc (free resources.) Thanks so much Sarah it will be so useful. I just have a question about the different uses of the twio forms.

Can I ask what you write on the 'next steps planning' form that would be different from the obs form? I get the logic about noticing gaps etc but couldnt you see that from just looking at the other form rather than copying out the same material? The space along side the areas on the n/s form is for the dates of the obs isnt it? Not the next steps.....

Just wondered if I had misunderstood...or is this spelling it out for Ofsted purposes?

sarah707
19-08-2012, 02:16 PM
My inspection recommendation was to keep observations and next steps separate so you can see at a glance what a child is working on next... so I have separated the forms.

Does that make sense? :D

jumpinjen
19-08-2012, 08:12 PM
My inspection recommendation was to keep observations and next steps separate so you can see at a glance what a child is working on next... so I have separated the forms.

Does that make sense? :D

Sarah - do you think your inspector was just trying to find SOMETHING to say about your excellent practice so she could make a recommendation? Do you actually think it's better that way or did you prefer you old way? only asking cos the new EYFS says that paperwork should be a minimum to provide best care for the children and perhaps you could reflect that it worked better the other way and change it back if you prefer it that way - I don't see how it is clearer on another sheet - surely linked to the observation it came from provides a better flow and 'journey evidence' for the child. I'm not trying to do down your work or your practice - just thinking aloud really...... kick me of you want to!:D

Jen x

sarah707
19-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't think it makes a hoot of difference one way or another to be honest Jen.

I knew exactly what each child was working towards and was able to tell her verbally.

What she said was that she wanted to see it reflected in the paperwork. I had...

Obs - xx is doing yy

Assessment - links to ... which means that ...

Next steps - continue with ... do more of ... try ...

She wanted obs and assessments on one sheet... next steps on another.

Now I have a play plan for each child and put obs and assessments on one side... next steps from last month at the top of the other and then planning so I'm working in a continuous loop.

It's just re-jigging the information I already had into a different format. No more or less work :D

jumpinjen
19-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I see - that's OK then - I like to work on one sheet in a loop, I start each week with a new sheet with information from the previous week carried over and I'd be horrified if they wanted it on more than one sheet - so horrified I wouldn't do it LOL...... I should have known you'd have it sorted to suit you lol :thumbsup: