PDA

View Full Version : where do I stand?

bec123
19-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I signed contracts for a new little one to start tomorrow Monday 20 August (4 full days a week) - he was attending nursery but mum was unhappy with him being there so pulled him out - I explained that I normally do a few settling in sessions over a 2 week period but she said she wanted him to start full time as he would settle in fine as he's been in nursery. Anyway I emailed her last week with an invoice to cover the remainder of August and asked about potty training (another sore subject from nursery) - I hadn't heard anything until this morning when she said that work had got in touch with her over the weekend and that he wouldnt' need to start now until November! Where do I stand? I have emailed back telling her that if she wanted me to keep a space for him I will need a retainer fee but I feel very disappointed and let down - I'd got activities planned for him and was quite excited at the prospect of a new one starting :(

Kiddleywinks
19-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Aww, how frustrating :group hug:

Did she pay a deposit? (I do an unrefundable 4 week one when signing a contract for instances such as this.)

I would be insisting now on a retainer for holding space till November, or cancelling the contract and keeping the deposit

catswhiskers
19-08-2012, 11:18 AM
I do feel for you - to be let down at the last minute isn't on really.

If the parent has already signed a contract with you to start as from 20th August then I would expect her to honour this by either sending her child to you anyway or if not, for her to still pay you the full fee up until when he/she does start with you in November.

She was working when her child was in nursery, then took him out. So why is she suddenly not going back until November?

You are the one losing income from now until November and you've probably turned down other children (tell the parent this) to accommodate her, so I can't see any other way out.

Was it an NCMA contract as you could always give them a ring to see what their advice is?

bec123
19-08-2012, 01:10 PM
she's changing her job (secondment) and was due to start this week - apparently work have said they don't need her or the secondment wont start til November! Really annoyed! I think from now on I will take a 4 week deposit on signing of contracts that way at least I'm covered! :(

rickysmiths
19-08-2012, 07:31 PM
I do feel for you. I had never had a problem until last year and I had several parents muck about so I have changed my Fees Policy and made it very tough to sort out the time wasters and it has worked. :thumbsup:

I take a four weeks fee Deposit when the Contract is signed and I won't sign until I have the Deposit.

If they pull out before the expected start date, I always put one on the Contract, then they loose all the Deposit.

If I can't for some reason offer the place when the time comes I return the Deposit in full.

If the Contract starts as planned then the Deposit is held until the end of the Contract, when if all fees are paid up to date, it covers the last four weeks of care- the Notice Period.

If they reduce their hours or leave in the first six months of the Contract, they lose that % or all of the Deposit and still have to pay for the four weeks Notice Period.

I am paid in advance on the 1st of the month. If a payment is late I reserve the right to charge a £5 per day late payment fee.

I accept payment by Childcare Vouchers paid direct into my account, Payment direct into my account, by cheque but this must be given to me a week before the 1st of the month so it can be paid in and clear for the 1st, or cash.

Also i never give parents the Contract to take away and fill in. I usually give them the child record form, next of kin form, parental responsibility form and the 'All About Me' Form. I ask them to bring these with them to the meeting I have for doing the contract and permissions along with the Deposit. If they want to pay the Deposit into my account I give them Bank Details at the meeting and I keep all the paperwork until I have confirmed that payment has been made into my account.

Then I make up their folder with copies of the Contract, all the forms they have signed, a copy of my Ofsted report, a copy of the EYFS Parent info Leaflet, all my policies and Complaints Procedure, a copy of my current PL Insurance Cert. A list of holidays I have already booked. I then drop this to them as soon as the deposit has cleared.

With your client, it is unfortunate for her that her job has changed but from your point of view I would contact her and say she has a choice, she can pay a retainer fee to keep the place open to use in November or she takes a risk and leaves it and waits to see if what you have available in November.

Either way I would take advantage to 'review' your paperwork in line with the revised EYFS and when it gets nearer to November say you will need to do a new Contract and you will be charging a Deposit as recommended by NCMA if you us their paperwork. Use it as a chance to start fresh.

JCrakers
20-08-2012, 07:56 AM
How annoying. Surely her work wouldnt have left it so late to tell her ???

bec123
20-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I do feel for you. I had never had a problem until last year and I had several parents muck about so I have changed my Fees Policy and made it very tough to sort out the time wasters and it has worked. :thumbsup:

I take a four weeks fee Deposit when the Contract is signed and I won't sign until I have the Deposit.

If they pull out before the expected start date, I always put one on the Contract, then they loose all the Deposit.

If I can't for some reason offer the place when the time comes I return the Deposit in full.

If the Contract starts as planned then the Deposit is held until the end of the Contract, when if all fees are paid up to date, it covers the last four weeks of care- the Notice Period.

If they reduce their hours or leave in the first six months of the Contract, they lose that % or all of the Deposit and still have to pay for the four weeks Notice Period.

I am paid in advance on the 1st of the month. If a payment is late I reserve the right to charge a £5 per day late payment fee.

I accept payment by Childcare Vouchers paid direct into my account, Payment direct into my account, by cheque but this must be given to me a week before the 1st of the month so it can be paid in and clear for the 1st, or cash.

Also i never give parents the Contract to take away and fill in. I usually give them the child record form, next of kin form, parental responsibility form and the 'All About Me' Form. I ask them to bring these with them to the meeting I have for doing the contract and permissions along with the Deposit. If they want to pay the Deposit into my account I give them Bank Details at the meeting and I keep all the paperwork until I have confirmed that payment has been made into my account.

Then I make up their folder with copies of the Contract, all the forms they have signed, a copy of my Ofsted report, a copy of the EYFS Parent info Leaflet, all my policies and Complaints Procedure, a copy of my current PL Insurance Cert. A list of holidays I have already booked. I then drop this to them as soon as the deposit has cleared.

With your client, it is unfortunate for her that her job has changed but from your point of view I would contact her and say she has a choice, she can pay a retainer fee to keep the place open to use in November or she takes a risk and leaves it and waits to see if what you have available in November.

Either way I would take advantage to 'review' your paperwork in line with the revised EYFS and when it gets nearer to November say you will need to do a new Contract and you will be charging a Deposit as recommended by NCMA if you us their paperwork. Use it as a chance to start fresh.

Thanks Ricky I'll definately be reviewing my policies now x

bec123
20-08-2012, 10:25 AM
How annoying. Surely her work wouldnt have left it so late to tell her ???

I dont believe it either! I cant see that a big company (like the one she works for) would leave it sooo late to let her know! She's not even had the courtesy to phone me or reply to my email!

Chatterbox Childcare
20-08-2012, 10:44 AM
If she has signed a contract then she is liable for the fees from the start date but only for the hours signed for and not any additional ones that she asked for because of nursery.

Do you have a settling in period on your contract because if you do she can cancel within this time, not pay any more money and ask for a refund of time not used. Of course she wouldn't be coming to you again

Personally, I would say a 50% retainer fee or let it go