PDA

View Full Version : Govt call for evidence - childcare costs

sarah707
19-08-2012, 08:42 AM
I have just completed mine and sent it in - have you? :clapping:

http://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/departmentalinformation/consultations/a00211976/childcare-commission-call-for-evidence

There is lots of help available to help you fill it in -

UKCMA document -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=106483

Penny and Sarah's documents -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=105817

I urge you all to please spend a few minutes completing the questions that are relevant to you...

This is the first step in something you might not want to happen - now is the time to start making our voices heard :D

Penny1959
19-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Please respond

If we don't respond- in huge numbers - the government will just do want it wants to do using lack of response as a reason to do it

If you don't respond the government will assume that YOU are happy for them to decide what is best.

Are you happy ? Do you trust the government to act in your best interests, the interests of the parents - and most importantly the interests of the children?

As Sarah has said there is plenty of help available - and if you find these things hard to complete (and most people do) why not take a look at all the documents available and then you use the bits that you agree with as a starting point for you own response.

Penny :)

Mouse
19-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the reminder Sarah and Penny.

Once I'm on my laptop later I'll be sending my responses off. With your help and notes, there's really no reason why everyone here can't complete it :thumbsup:

AgentTink
19-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks to penny and sarahs notes I sent mine off last week :) I even found once I had read the notes and looked at the questions in a different way that I also had somd of my own opinions to add.

jadavi
19-08-2012, 01:15 PM
does anyone understand this question:

10. When are the key transition or tipping points, and what are the main issues at those times?

cheers ja

sarah707
19-08-2012, 01:45 PM
does anyone understand this question:

10. When are the key transition or tipping points, and what are the main issues at those times?

cheers ja

Not really no... so I've used that space to tell them that their documents are ridiculously worded and that's why they get so few responses... and do they really want responses or is that the point so they can turn round and say 'well we asked and nobody replied so we're doing it anyway'...

I think it turned into a bit of a rant but it made me feel better :laughing: :D

jadavi
19-08-2012, 01:58 PM
O brilliant Sarah, Well done! haha

I pointed out that altho child care costs are high - childminders are not wealthy and that with working to capacity 8-5pm with two assistants I still earn less than a newly qualified teacher.....

The Juggler
19-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Not really no... so I've used that space to tell them that their documents are ridiculously worded and that's why they get so few responses... and do they really want responses or is that the point so they can turn round and say 'well we asked and nobody replied so we're doing it anyway'...

I think it turned into a bit of a rant but it made me feel better :laughing: :D

:laughing: lol Sarah. I've responded :D

loocyloo
19-08-2012, 07:31 PM
i ranted the whole way through!

and mentioned several times that childminders do actually need to earn a living, its not a hobby we just do for love ( even though it is a job we do with love )

i can't remember where, but i suggested they actually talk to childminders in person, not just sending forms out and start to realise what an amazing job we do!

stardust
19-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I've done it. I also ranted all the way through.

a few answers
14. feel that the government would be able to subsidise childcare costs if the were to put an end to false childcare claims.

A better way would be for the childcare provider to sign up to tax credits and receive a some sort of code to give to parents using their setting. The parent to still set up the claim and then the money being paid directly to the child care provider.
This would stop false claims as parents would not be benefiting from the additional money going into their bank account.
Over payments would still be claimed back from the parent as the parent would have payed less when paying the remainder of the fee's.

The millions saved is false claims, that is never recovered could be used to subsidise childcare costs to the parents further.

I also feel deregulating Childminders will certainly boost the unemployment rate and will restrict parents choice when it comes to childcare.

Comments:
I feel the wording in some questions was a little hard to understand.
I also feel this is based solely on parents.
It should have included questions to gain information on child care setting's costs.

Its all fair restricting childcare costs but in restricting them it may mean many childcare providers are unable to meet their overheads therefore a massive drop in childcare places.

I couldn't help myself dropping in about deregulation and false tax credits claims!:laughing:

sarah707
20-08-2012, 06:44 AM
I couldn't help myself dropping in about deregulation and false tax credits claims!:laughing:

I've mentioned those too!

Excellent answers! The more people who answer the more our voices will be heard! :clapping:

kali
23-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I agree the more people who join this e-petition and campaign the government will have to stop and listen. http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

sarah707
23-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I agree the more people who join this e-petition and campaign the government will have to stop and listen. http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

You are right Kali it is so important that everyone takes a few minutes to reply to this consultation.

It is the start of change - we need to make our voices heard :clapping:

Tazmin68
27-08-2012, 02:02 PM
My local authority invited all childminders to a forum where we could all input for this consultation and they will submit a group response.
One thing that will be mentioned it that they have not allowed the appropriate timescale to complete and submit for this consultation.

Lady Haha
06-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi, I've only just seen this as been on holiday blah blah! I clicked on the top link, but it's a blank page with a small logo in the corner? Am I too late or is there another way of getting on it?

sarah707
06-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi, I've only just seen this as been on holiday blah blah! I clicked on the top link, but it's a blank page with a small logo in the corner? Am I too late or is there another way of getting on it?

Unfortunately the call for evidence has finished now. We need to wait and see what was said ... then we will have more of an idea about what might happen next.

I really hope lots of people responded. I can't tell you how important it was to have our say :D

Lady Haha
06-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Wow, it wasn't open very long was it!!!!

The cynical side of me thinks that was probably deliberate....:mad:

sarah707
07-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Wow, it wasn't open very long was it!!!!

The cynical side of me thinks that was probably deliberate....:mad:

Yes and me! Plus it was over the school holidays when it involved opinions about schools! :rolleyes:

Ah well it's phase 1 of their steamroller to oblivion we can only wait and see what comes back from it :(