PDA

View Full Version : How do I go about starting a Childminding group in my area?

Julia
17-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Hi

there isnt a childminding group in my area and it really frustrates me, every area around us has one but no-one can be bothered to set one up here, but Ive decided to take the bull by the horns and do something about it.

So where do I start? any suggestions?

Ive tried my local NCMA, Usless
My local family information service, no answer
My local childcare rep from the council, no answer

great isnt it

so what do you suggest I do first.....

Mouse
17-08-2012, 01:18 PM
My first step would be to contact the childminding development officer to see if they'll help (might, or might not). Sometimes it's not a bad thing if they don't want to get involved - some are happy to leave you to get on with it, but others do interfere :rolleyes:

Then contact any local surestart centres or childrens centres to see if they have a room you can use, preferably for free! Again, it can be a bit hit & miss how helpful they can be, but they are fully set up for children, which is an advantage.

If they haven't, try church halls, schools, community centres etc to find a location. Try to find somewhere that has a kitchen, toys, somewhere with easy access for pushchairs etc.

Contact NCMA to see if they still offer childminding group start up grants

Decide when you're going to open, what you're going to provide, what fee you'll charge etc

And spread the word! Don't worry if you get a poor response to start with. Keep plodding away until everyone realises how good it is to have their own local group :clapping: