PDA

View Full Version : new and need your help and advise

4oaks
17-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I am new to childminding only started in May.I have done everything to promate my buisness and joined every childminding site I can find,I contacted my local Early Years for support and was told they would do what they can to help.I still have not had any children as yet.We have a beautiful home,secure garden,playroom and lots more but still nothing.Can anyone offer me some advise.PLEASE:(

The Juggler
17-08-2012, 10:44 AM
have you been to playgroups, library songtimes etc, to get yourself noticed. Maybe volunteer to help with some activities at toddler groups so you can really chat to the mums and they see you interact with their little ones. Maybe if they allow you could hand out some fliers.

perhaps offer some introductory stay and play sessions for mums considering going back to work?

Kiddleywinks
17-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Have you got your details registered with the FIS (Families Information Service)?

I know it doesn't help, but it can take a while before you get something (took me months to get my first one, but now I've got 2 :clapping:)

Keep your chin up

4oaks
17-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Have you got your details registered with the FIS (Families Information Service)?

I know it doesn't help, but it can take a while before you get something (took me months to get my first one, but now I've got 2 :clapping:)

Keep your chin up

This is the first thing I did as I thought they would help- sooooooooo gutted.
but so happy for you xx

Tippy Toes
17-08-2012, 11:25 AM
What really helped me first get going was doing a leaflet drop. It was hard going as I posted hundreds of leaflets over several weeks but it was where my first work came from. Dont get me wrong it took about 3 months for me to get started but when I did it went from strength to strength.

Apart from that keep doing what your doing. Dont give up.

Good luck xx

JCrakers
17-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Maybe:

a small ad in the local paper
Doctors or dentists waiting room
Leisure centre
Midwives waiting room
local shop windows
Childcare.co.uk
your own website made by the lovely Pauline
Local schools if they will allow

elaineg
17-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Im sure someone on here give out balloons outside a shop,

jumping j
17-08-2012, 02:02 PM
I went to playgroups armed with cards and spoke to anyone that would listen about starting my new childminding business...it's taken a year of hard work and advertising but I'm full!

I have;
a website
advertise on childcare.co.uk, yell.co.uk and another free advertising website that I can't think of the name of!
I'm on google
car magnets
business cards (that I handed to anyone who'd take one, you never know when someone might need childcare)
I also went on quite a few courses to get my name known in the local area, made a few CM friends who have passed business my way when they've been full.
Try going to local sure start stay and plays, it's where I met the group of CM's I spend time with, we tend to pass business to each other if we can't do it ourselves
It's been a hard year but it has worked for me

JCrakers
17-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Vistaprint is always good value for business cards, postcards, magnets etc

Beaka
17-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Have you tried advertising on your local childcare board on netmums? I've had enquiries through there. xx

VeggieSausage
17-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Have you had enquiries and people not gone with you or have you had no enquiries?....

Make sure your folder looks good to show parents, and don't worry it will come....

little kingdom
17-08-2012, 05:27 PM
I am new to childminding only started in May.I have done everything to promate my buisness and joined every childminding site I can find,I contacted my local Early Years for support and was told they would do what they can to help.I still have not had any children as yet.We have a beautiful home,secure garden,playroom and lots more but still nothing.Can anyone offer me some advise.PLEASE:(

Hi i only registered in may aswell i had my first mindee 3 weeks later just a after school one but was so pleased have had mindee in summer hols aswell so money has been ok but sadly:( im losing her in sept as mum is movin away but bit worried as havent had any phone calls so will be left with no one in sept everyone is telling me its a bit quite at the min and that sept is normally alot busier so roll on sept but i might do some leaflets but not really sure what area to do it as there is already alot of cm in my area:(
good luck:thumbsup:

lynnfi
17-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I have been moving house a lot in the last 5 years and I would say that it has taken me a whole year each time to really settle in business.
If you continue searching I am sure it will come along. Personnally Childcare.co.uk and Fis have made me full :)
3/4 months is not a lot, so do not worry :)

migimoo
17-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Most of my calls have come from my car...I have my full back screen printed with " business name.ofsted registered childminder,full & part time spaces available,my mobile number" I ordered the vinyl peel lettering from eBay for about £10.

I was very lucky as I was working as a nursery nurse before so when I left some children came with me and the mums their have recommended me too...try not to panic-it WILL happen and once it does word will get out-good luck:thumbsup:

~Grasshopper~
17-08-2012, 07:18 PM
hi

i took me months to get started and my first mindee was a friend of a friend.

you need to tell the world you are a childminder, balloons with business cards on is a good idea. stand outside the local playgroup and if you have a child or borrow one lol go to play and stay sessions and tell everyone your a childminder.

my facebook page has got me work or how about joining your local fb selling pages and putting ads on. xx

little kingdom
08-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Have you had enquiries and people not gone with you or have you had no enquiries?....

Make sure your folder looks good to show parents, and don't worry it will come....

I have had enquires one was to a school pick up at the same time one was for siblings that are 7 and 8 didnt really expected that age group one lady was coming round and the night before she cancelled with a really rubbish excuse ive done my leaflets had them posted out dont know if i should had a leaflet put up in toddler groups :idea:
just harder than i thought and as im still doing waitress job that i really dont want to do seems worse:(

blue bear
08-10-2012, 06:37 PM
When I moved here I made contact with local minders and offered to cover sick/holiday leave for their mindees, it got me started as I was out and about with children at toddlers etc.

jashol
08-10-2012, 06:39 PM

i printed off my own leaflets and posted them every where i even got my family to help we have spent four days doing this and over 60 hours really paid off for me.......but it will happen for you sometimes takes time :)

zippy
08-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Advertise on local Facebook but sell pages, get to know other childminders, once they know you I'm sure they'll pass on your number

tas
08-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Do you have a website? I find most of my enquiries have come through my website :)

dette
08-10-2012, 06:49 PM
borrow children...make them wear hi viz vests and you wear an "I AM A CHILDMINDER" badge .then walk about.go to parks,toddler groups ,shopping with a big smile :D

winstonian
08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Being "known" as a childminder is the best advertising - definitely get to toddlers, talk at the school gate and promote yourself.

jellytots2912
08-10-2012, 07:08 PM
i advertised on facebook selling pages and i have got 4 kids through that then through going to local childminder drop in sessions at the childrens centres make friends with local childminders as if they are full they will pass on your details good luck xx

little kingdom
06-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Thank you for all the replys i now have a mindee after school that started last week and a lady coming round
fri for childcare for her two yr old so looking up :)