PDA

View Full Version : Keyworkers??

Boris
17-08-2012, 08:49 AM
My CM friend works with her husband (he is also a registered CM). At their inspection they were told they needed to split the children into groups and have their own key children! I personally think that's ridiculous. They have between 6-8 children at any one time, not 30!

I work with my mum, she is my assistant although we are looking into getting her registered as a CM (not sure the pro's outweigh the con's yet!). So is this keyworker lark really necessary or were Ofsted just looking for something to recommend? Does anyone operate a system like this?

sarah707
17-08-2012, 08:51 AM
It is a requirement of the EYFS that every child has a key worker.

Daft or not - just go with the flow!

I am key worker for all the little ones in my provision even though there are 2 of us... older children (out of EYFS) don't need a key worker.

Hth :D

Kiddleywinks
17-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I seem to recall in my EYFS briefing, that it IS part of the new revisions

I suppose in one way it does make a little sense for parents to have one point of call - their childs keyworker, to inform of any changes, medical needs, concerns etc. It would then be up to the keyworker inform anyone else, in your case, your OH's

Playmate
17-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I work with my husband and we have a key worker system and it works well. At present hubby works with 2's and unders and I work with the 3 and 4 year olds. We have 4 key children each. It works so much better for planning and recording. Obviously through out the day we share nappies etc and sometimes he takes some of my children out and vice verser. We both jot down obs for each other, but it is the key person who completes the LJ's. We both speak to all parents, but the parents are aware which one of us is the key worker.

karensmart4
17-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I work with a co-minder and an assistant we have our key children because it gives us a definite focus as well as it being a regulation by Ofsted. :)

mumof4
17-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Does this mean when working with an assistant, I need to split the children between us for key worker purposes? I will have 4 one morning a week from sept and using my daughter as assistant. Does she need to be the 4th childs keyworker or will i be?
Ive got a little confused with it all :o

sarah707
17-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Does this mean when working with an assistant, I need to split the children between us for key worker purposes? I will have 4 one morning a week from sept and using my daughter as assistant. Does she need to be the 4th childs keyworker or will i be?
Ive got a little confused with it all :o

You can be key worker for all the children if you want to be - just make sure you note it on their paperwork.

i state 'keyworker - Sarah' on attendance records and put a comment about keyworkers in my welcome booklet :D

Boris
18-08-2012, 04:31 PM
So it wouldn't have to be an equal divide then. I tend to do all of the LJ's as I have better knowledge of EYFS than my mum (although this will change!).

Thanks for the replies, good to know how you all manage things. x