PDA

View Full Version : P45 advise

cherry
17-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Can anyone give me some advise about how my son can get his P45 from his last employer.

He had a Saturday job in a privately owner cafe and left so he could work full time for the summer holidays.

He has repeatedly asked for his P45 and keeps getting excuses from them saying that as their accountant is pregnant/had her baby they can't get it. I know that this is acceptable but who's doing the cafe's accounts while this is going on?

He is losing 20% of his wages as he has had to go on emergency tax.

Is there any way we can get his P45 from somewhere else?

Any advise welcomed

sarah707
17-08-2012, 07:38 AM
I suggest he rings HMRC and has a chat with an advisor.

I will move your thread into the tax section of the forum :D

cherry
17-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Ooops, thank you Sarah, didn't see that section.

Kiddleywinks
17-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Mr A or someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think employers are given 3 months grace for a P45.
They should of course do it immediately, so I would formally write to the ex-employer giving them 5 working days to get it sorted, or you will be forced to go direct to HMRC.

If there's something dodgy going on they won't be wanting that.

Chatterbox Childcare
17-08-2012, 05:45 PM
I have just been through this with my DS and I rang the tax office and they change his coding but I did need to write in

MrAnchovy
22-08-2012, 08:57 AM
He can only get it from his previous employer and there's not much he can do to put pressure on them really. But if it was just a Saturday job was he earning over £107 a week? If not they would not have had to put it through payroll so there won't be a P45 anyway.

His new employer should have given him a P46 to fill in and if he said that this was now his only job they shouldn't have put him on a tax code that deducts 20% from everything but many employers are lazy or the people that are responsible for taking on staff don't understand the importance of the P46 so don't do this properly.

It is going to take a call to HMRC to get it properly sorted, but whatever they do he will end up paying the wrong amount of tax over the whole year so he should check again with HMRC in April.

cherry
22-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Thank you for replying Mr Anchovy, he wishes he was earning that much!! It was about £35.00 for a Saturday shift.

He has talked to the accountant where he is working now and they contacted HMRC for him and are in the process of sorting it out.

He still hasn't heard from his last employer though.

I'll let him know that he still needs a P46.

Thanks again :thumbsup: