PDA

View Full Version : characterisitics of effectivel learning ??

mushpea
16-08-2012, 10:51 AM
ok so I am having a practise run of observing and planning for the individual child for September, I am using what we have done this week as my practise planning,
we went to the park and child A wasnt happy to go on the zip wire, she also wasnt happy to try the previous week, on the planning I have listed the boxes of the characterisitics and want to write somthing in each one for this acitvitiy but how do I write that she wasnt 'willing to have a go' or that she didnt 'keep trying' without it sounding negative.
my planning has the following
adult planned, what child did child led activity next steps

then underneath in seperate boxes are the characterisitics.
so should I put that I planeed for her to be wiling or do I put that she wasnt willing
please help

AgentTink
16-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Mushpea the below link to a old thread on this topic may help you as I believe that you do not have to include these on each and every ob, and instead use them to look at how a child learns over a period of a few months

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101393&highlight=characteristics

VeggieSausage
16-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Sometimes needs encouragement to try new things?

sarah707
16-08-2012, 06:18 PM
The characteristics are not outcomes!!

Have a read through this -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=106166&highlight=characteristics

They are ways the child learns. You have a child who does not feel comfortable doing new things - fine not a problem!! That's the child!

How does the child learn instead? :D

mushpea
16-08-2012, 06:56 PM
I understand they are not the outcomes but thought we had to include them planning somwhere , so shold I put them down as planning to encourage her to try new things and keep on trying then

sarah707
16-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes it's the difference between reading the following about your child -

Jess is very timid about trying new things

We are working with Jess to support her to feel more confident in new situations such as when at the park watching the zip wire. We are reading lots of books about ......

But that's what you do already for next steps.

The characteristics are more about saying -

John learns through his interest in trains and makes amazing train tracks - for his next steps we will...

Focus back on the positive - how the child learns and how that knowledge about the child will support them to learn

Does that make sense? It's been a very long day :o :D

mushpea
16-08-2012, 07:27 PM
:idea:

Thanks once again,, its been a long couple of days here and I think I have finaly changed my paperwork so that I am happy or at least I thought i had then I met with another childminder at the childrens center who has put the characteristics on her planning and is putting comments in each box for each plan for the individual child, I got so conufused by this.
so I dont really need to put them on my planning as seperate boxes just word my plans or obs appropriatly when the situation arrises

sarah707
16-08-2012, 08:18 PM
:idea:

Thanks once again,, its been a long couple of days here and I think I have finaly changed my paperwork so that I am happy or at least I thought i had then I met with another childminder at the childrens center who has put the characteristics on her planning and is putting comments in each box for each plan for the individual child, I got so conufused by this.
so I dont really need to put them on my planning as seperate boxes just word my plans or obs appropriatly when the situation arrises

Yes absolutely! They are to help you plan for the child by helping you to know and understand the child better :D

mushpea
17-08-2012, 08:15 AM
by jove I think I've got it lol:laughing:

sarah707
17-08-2012, 08:33 AM
by jove I think I've got it lol:laughing:

:clapping::clapping:

I had another thought last night - another way to explain it.

The characteristics are a bit like describing a child's personality.

As we know, we can mould and challenge and educate a child to learn and develop and we can support them to be strong, independent, make friends etc etc etc...

But a child's personality is what they are born with and we need to nourish it and work from it rather than trying to change it.

Yes / no? :D