PDA

View Full Version : Late Cancellation

JessG
16-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi I've been minding a little one now for a few months, I always ask for payments at the beginning of the month to try and avoid non payments but since this child started every month has been a struggle to be paid either on time or the full amount I give all my parents the fee's for the next month at least a week in advance but often allow 2 weeks so that any queries over fees can be made before the payment date. This parent's last payment came at 5pm on the payment due date and was only half the fee, they sent me a message to say how much they paid and that they were going to keep their child at home on half the booked/contracted days as they couldn't afford all of the fee's, this really caused me problems financially and It was too late to book other children in for those days, on this occassion I tried to be fair and I know i'm too soft and said if they were struggling they needed to pay me the full amout for this month and I would refund the days off next month, the rest of the payment was then given to me in 2 installments over the following week. At what point do I still charge for cancelled days? should it be the full rate? and should I refund days off the next month? Like many of us I don't want to cause animosity but I get so stressed every month knowing that every month I have to chase my payments from them, I hate it!

Erika
16-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Depends on what is in your contract. What does it say in your contract/policies about fees and cancelled days/children's days off?

Mummits
16-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I expect payment in full for contracted days, regardless of whether the parents choose or are obliged to cancel days. For ad hoc or occasional childcare I also take payment in advance at the point of booking and it is non-refundable if they cancel (though I might exceptionally allow them to swap the odd day if it made no difference or was better for me). I don't think it is at all reasonable for parents to pick and choose at short notice when they will attend and what they will pay. How would they like it if they were told not to turn up for work for a few days, and by the way we won't be paying you? I do however refund charges for meals if parents let me know in advance their child won't be attending.

The Juggler
16-08-2012, 03:18 PM
hon, you need to get them in for a chat. Unless your contract specifies ad-hoc care and says they will only pay for hours used - which I'm thinking is not what you agreed?

You tell them you cannot run a business like this. You have been lenient but you must be clear that from now on all contracted hours must be paid for ON TIME. That as of today, a late fee of £10/day will apply for all late payments (I would be flexible i.e. if they get paid on 2nd allow them to pay on 3rd) but otherwise no excuses payment on 1st of month up front. Tell them you hate applying late fees but will have no choice as you are incurring bank charges etc. from bounced standing orders etc. and that you don't feel happy havign to come askign for your money every month - it's not nice (make them feel uncomfortable ;)

If you do have an ad-hoc contract currently, then expalin its not working for you and that you will have to book in a minimum number of hours per month so you know what to expect in terms of income - that way extra hours can be charged on top. You will need to give a months notice if you do this though.

be tough.

After the meeting confirm it all in writing.

good luck xx