PDA

View Full Version : BUMBO article in Daily Mail please read

sarahjane
15-08-2012, 02:45 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188714/Four-million-Bumbo-Baby-Seats-recalled-dozen-reports-skull-fractures-infants.html

I have a bumbo, I love it and have used it for a fair few babies over the years, however, I will probably not be using it again.
I have never used it on a table or counter, only on a carpeted floor and under supervision as I have seen many children get out of them.

Mouse
15-08-2012, 02:57 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188714/Four-million-Bumbo-Baby-Seats-recalled-dozen-reports-skull-fractures-infants.html

I have a bumbo, I love it and have used it for a fair few babies over the years, however, I will probably not be using it again.
I have never used it on a table or counter, only on a carpeted floor and under supervision as I have seen many children get out of them.

So why will you stop using it?

The report indicates that injuries have occured when children have fallen out of them when on a raised surface. If you never used it on a raised surface and only use it while supervising, I don't see a problem with it :thumbsup:

I was horrified recently when I went to visit a cm friend. She had a lo boy in one on the table. She'd left him there while she came to answer the door to me & in that time he'd partly wriggled out. I did tell her what I thought :panic:

rickysmiths
15-08-2012, 02:58 PM
How stupid. I'm sorry but has the world gone mad.

Every accident is very sad but then so are the stupid adults who put them on a counter top or use them like a play pen a walk away from the child in them.

What about prosecuting the stupid adults for negligence rather than penalising the company who have produced such a fantastic tool.

I certainly won't stop using them.

JCrakers
15-08-2012, 03:06 PM
I was going to buy one of these but whoever puts them on a raised surface is asking for trouble :rolleyes:

Rickysmiths I've read a few of your comments today on various things and wonder if we were split at birth :laughing:

Mouse
15-08-2012, 03:07 PM
How stupid. I'm sorry but has the world gone mad.

Every accident is very sad but then so are the stupid adults who put them on a counter top or use them like a play pen a walk away from the child in them.

What about prosecuting the stupid adults for negligence rather than penalising the company who have produced such a fantastic tool.

I certainly won't stop using them.

:thumbsup:

When I was little a neighbour's baby died because she put him in his rocker chair on a table while she made the tea. As the child rocked itself the chair worked its way across and off the table. The baby hit the floor face first, obviously with the weight of the carseat behind it.
It's always stuck with me & I get a chill down my spine when I see baby chairs on tables etc

rickysmiths
15-08-2012, 03:20 PM
I was going to buy one of these but whoever puts them on a raised surface is asking for trouble :rolleyes:

Rickysmiths I've read a few of your comments today on various things and wonder if we were split at birth :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

It's good to know I'm not the only rebel I think it must be my age and having a Victorian (literally, she was born in the late 1800s) Grandma who was common sense itself bless her.

rickysmiths
15-08-2012, 03:22 PM
:thumbsup:

When I was little a neighbour's baby died because she put him in his rocker chair on a table while she made the tea. As the child rocked itself the chair worked its way across and off the table. The baby hit the floor face first, obviously with the weight of the carseat behind it.
It's always stuck with me & I get a chill down my spine when I see baby chairs on tables etc

Oh! Nasty. I guess there are things we all do in honesty and go in hind sight we shouldn't have done it but we got away with it. I know as a 20 something I prob drove far to fast at times and I was much more careful when I bought my own car and paid the insurance :blush:

emma04
16-08-2012, 07:46 AM
The word 'Accident' is in the dictionary for a reason!......Because they happen!

Most are preventable by taking care and using common sense, but some happen because we are all human and do not foresee every single danger until we experience one.

We are all guilty of making silly mistakes that have or could have resulted in child injury.

But if we banned or withdrew every danger from our childrens lives they would be living in empty houses and would never venture out! Everything is a potential hazzard if you really think about it:rolleyes:

sarahjane
16-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Having thought about this overnight with hindsight I over reacted :blush:
The bumbo will stay :)

JCrakers
16-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Good choice!
Accidents only happen with carelessness so as long as its used properly then all should be well

babs
16-08-2012, 11:08 AM
i use a bumbo seat for babies who cant sit up on their own as soon as they can, they are out of it. mine also has a tray that fits on so makes it hard for them to climb out but then again they arent able to climb out if they cant sit up on their own.. i dont see a problem with the seats its the way people use them thats at fault.

Katiekoo
16-08-2012, 11:20 AM
I used one with dd - I passed it onto a friend because right away she 'pop' herself out of it, and the force she used meant she catapulted out!!! Not safe for my dd on the floor with me watching like a hawk!
But if you have a nice little child who will sit still, and you are prepared to supervise properly, I don't see you should get rid of it.