PDA

View Full Version : photos

tammys-tots
15-08-2012, 12:56 PM
just had parent turn up to give me forms for her children who are to start in september, ( after school)she said 'i have signed the photograph form what do you do with them when children leave do they stay on your notice board or do you destroy them? i said i usualy leave them on the notice board, she said she doesnt want any pictures staying here when they leave, she said i can give them her! Schools take pictures do they give them the parents when they leave, mine will also have other children on so i will not be taking any pictures of her children!

loocyloo
15-08-2012, 01:02 PM
if i have any individual photos, then if i remember, i send those home with the child when they leave, but parents give permission for photos to be put into photobooks and then those photos are there for ever!

tammys-tots
15-08-2012, 01:09 PM
hi, yes i do sometimes give after school children pictures to take home, just thought why would i want to destroy pict that have cost me money to print out?

Mouse
15-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Have you asked her why she wouldn't want you keeping any photos of her children? Perhaps she's got a valid reason?

I'd show her any photo books etc that you've got showing groups of your children. Make sure she understand her children won't be able to have any photos taken like that, will have to be left out of group photos and will only have individual photos taken.

bunyip
15-08-2012, 02:10 PM
New EYFS requires a policy on cameras, 'phones, etc. and frankly I'm struggling a bit.

There seems to be a massive degree of paranoia surrounding the photographing of children. I've heard EY practitioners expressing some wild views about it being "illegal" for anyone to take photos without parental consent.

Certainly, it's good practice to respect parents' views (and the views of children too - I have one little chap who can get very upset if he's snapped unexpectedly.)

However, it is usually perfectly legal to take someone's photo except where another law is broken in doing so. I think it's good to remind children of these and other civil rights, at an appropriate stage, and not let them fall into believing a lot of the misinformation about taking pictures.

I aim to list the different purposes/functions for which I may use photos: development evidence; activity evaluation/reflection; training; display on our theme-board; promotion of the business. Then get parents to sign for what they agree to and discuss any concerns/issues arising. I'm always happy to provide parents with copies of their own child's photos, but reserve the right to charge for the time and materials used.

tammys-tots
15-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Have you asked her why she wouldn't want you keeping any photos of her children? Perhaps she's got a valid reason?

I'd show her any photo books etc that you've got showing groups of your children. Make sure she understand her children won't be able to have any photos taken like that, will have to be left out of group photos and will only have individual photos taken.

hi, she just turned up my littleones where outside in the rain loving this weather lol so i couldnt talk for long, so might just tell her i will not be taking any photos she said she would want them when they leave. ive got three notice boards with different places we visit and activities the children do, if shes not happy about me keeping photos then i wont take any, i will only be having them after school anyway. Never bothered any parents before!

rickysmiths
15-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I would ask her why. I always give parents a disc every six months or at Christmas depending on how often their child is with me. Then they get a disc will every photo ever taken in their time with me, including group ones and I have all parents permission for this.

However I keep the photos when they leave. I have a paper album with a few of just about every child I have ever minded as it is my personal memory of the last 18 years of my working life and for the first 10-12 years my own children's memories as well. It would be very odd for me to just obliterate a child completely from all my records.

Anyhow I have a picture of parents with their child in my emergency folder and this always goes into a leaving child's folder and is stored away so that if ever there was a complaint or accusation made in the future I would be able to remember who they were!

sarah707
15-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I always hand over or destroy photos when a child leaves... I think it's the right thing to do.

Printing is a valid business expense while the child is with me but the photos are about the child feeling like they belong in my house that's what is most important here :D

bunyip
15-08-2012, 05:33 PM
If the photos are on your noticeboard, can't you take them all down when the mindee leaves, pass them on to mum and then take the opportunity to refresh your noticeboard?

I display photos on our theme wall. When it's full or we change the theme, I take down the whole lot, backing paper and all, and the older children love cutting out all the photos. The younger ones sort them into piles for each child to take home or stick into their personal scrapbooks.

If you really insist on keeping them, they are your property.

OTOH, sometimes parents want us to do things we don't understand or wouldn't ask for our own children. Would it really cause any inconvenience to do what she wants? Wouldn't it be more problematic to upset her just as her lo leaves your setting? Wouldn't you rather her leave happy and prepared to give you all those valuable word-of-mouth recommendations?

tammys-tots
15-08-2012, 07:25 PM
hi, i have just changd my pictures, i feel i should change them when i want to not because a child leaves the setting. If she doesnt want to leave pitures at mine im fine with that but why doesnt she just ask me not to take any. Bet she doesnt say anything to the school and if they are in the paper first week into school bet shes ok with that too, when lots of people will be seeing pictures of her children. Just find it strange