PDA

View Full Version : Should I introduce the dog?!!

smurfette
15-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Have a prospective parent coming to visit tonight ., I told them
We had a dog in case there was an issue she just said 'we will have to see how that goes we have no pets but m likes dogs'

Usually the dog is down the garden when parents come, she is a German shepherd and a total pet but as you know they have a reputation. Sometimes she is in the house when I am minding and the little ones love her , so I don't want to give the impression she will always be out of the way when they are here, but If she misbehaves or jumps uP (which she does only occassions lot) or little one is scared it might not be good?? What do you guys do??

mushpea
15-08-2012, 11:10 AM
our dog (labrador) is normaly in the house so people meet him as they come in, hes not bouncy and their lucky if he gets out of his bed to greet them which helps as they see hes calm around the children.
i would tell the parents where he is and explaiin the children do have some contact then ask the parents if they would like to meet him then go from there.

Boris
15-08-2012, 11:37 AM
I have my dog either in the garden or in his cage when parents come. Only because he's a very excitable and jumpy puppy and at the moment I don't let him have contact with the children although I hope to when he's calmed down a bit!!

I agree with mushpea, ask if they'd like to meet him.

CH1957
15-08-2012, 12:27 PM
I always shut my dogs away when a parent first comes in as one is quite barky and the other jumps up - they are both still young. But I always make a point of letting the dogs out so parents can see how good they are with the children.