PDA

View Full Version : Long term planning

Rachel1983
15-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi all

Can anyone advice me as to what you have put for topics in your long term planning in regards to celebrations and dates. The information the tutor gave me at college the dates don't match up... i'm a little stuck

Thanks

Rach:laughing::laughing:

Boris
15-08-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't have a list of topics on my long term plan. I just make it up as I go along, so if a child has been to the zoo with mum and talked about it here we will follow on from that. Or I might focus on the season or Olympics or whatever we fancy really! I have a list of birthdays and festivals that I got from a google search.

sarah707
15-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Woodlands Junior School has lots of celebrations and festivals to start you off :D

Rachel1983
17-08-2012, 06:25 AM
i'm concerned i havent got enough diversity in my planning...

sarah707
17-08-2012, 07:05 AM
i'm concerned i havent got enough diversity in my planning...

Diversity should be centred around...

1. The child's home and family life - birthdays, special occasions, Eid / Easter / Christmas etc if relevant to the child

2. The local community - fire station open day, local fete, fair coming to town, May Day celebrations etc

3. The wider world - celebrations and festivals children enjoy learning about taught from the perspective of how a child celebrates.

So over the next few months you might plan ...

August - holidays - relevant as lots of the children will be going away. Talk about the places they go, the food, the clothes, food, music and dance etc. Compare with home and see how the children want to explore...

September - Harvest festival - compare with Harvest festivals through the world, talk about fruit and vegetables, find out about farming... Link to Harvest festival celebrations in local schools and churches so children find out what is happening the community.

You could also talk about the first day of Autumn and the changes in the world as the weather gets colder...

October - Halloween - spiders, bats etc. Or if parents are not keen on pagan festivals you could focus instead on a festival relevant to the children or just continue your Autumn exploration - you can do things with fallen leaves for weeks!!

Young children need an overview of the world around them in the right context, carefully introduced through books, music, dance, arts and crafts, cooking etc - things they understand and enjoy.

Hope this helps :D

Bear23
17-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Diversity should be centred around...

1. The child's home and family life - birthdays, special occasions, Eid / Easter / Christmas etc if relevant to the child

2. The local community - fire station open day, local fete, fair coming to town, May Day celebrations etc

3. The wider world - celebrations and festivals children enjoy learning about taught from the perspective of how a child celebrates.

So over the next few months you might plan ...

August - holidays - relevant as lots of the children will be going away. Talk about the places they go, the food, the clothes, food, music and dance etc. Compare with home and see how the children want to explore...

September - Harvest festival - compare with Harvest festivals through the world, talk about fruit and vegetables, find out about farming... Link to Harvest festival celebrations in local schools and churches so children find out what is happening the community.

You could also talk about the first day of Autumn and the changes in the world as the weather gets colder...

October - Halloween - spiders, bats etc. Or if parents are not keen on pagan festivals you could focus instead on a festival relevant to the children or just continue your Autumn exploration - you can do things with fallen leaves for weeks!!

Young children need an overview of the world around them in the right context, carefully introduced through books, music, dance, arts and crafts, cooking etc - things they understand and enjoy.

Hope this helps :D

Sarah you really are a super star!
i'm updating this weekend so please clear all plans and be on stand by pleaaasssseeeeeeeeeeee :D

Rachel1983
17-09-2012, 11:44 AM
thanks so much :)

bulldog
17-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Apparently Weds is International Talk Like A Pirate Day, me hearties!!
:laughing: