PDA

View Full Version : Child in front seat?

LittleLadybirds
15-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi,
Hopefully someone will have some info on this....

I have had an enquiry for a 4-year old (starting school in Sept), but this would mean that I would need to have a child in the front seat of my Citroen C4 Grand Picasso (7-seater)

I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a definite age that you have to be to travel in the front seat? Also, if I did put the 7-year old that I have in the front, I presume that he would still need to use a booster seat?

The direct.gov.uk website says

'Using your child's car seat in the front seat
You can use your child's car seat in the front seat of a vehicle, if it fits. This includes two-seaters or convertibles with the top down.
You must deactivate any frontal airbags before fitting a rear-facing baby seat. Check the manufacturer's instructions for advice on how to do this.'

I just want to clarify that I have got this correct before saying I have got a place for the additional 4-year-old!

Thanks in advance,
Zoe. X

rickysmiths
15-08-2012, 09:42 AM
You should also look at what you car handbook says. It may have different advise because of the car design.

I put children in my front seat using the correct for age seats. I am able to isolate my air bag by turning a key in the glove pocket.

AliceK
15-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Legally you can put a child in the front seat providing you use the correct age appropriate seat for that child the same as you would if they were in the back. If you can isolate the air bag then you should but if you can't then legally you can still put a child there in the correct seat, the exception being a rear facing baby seat which you should never use in the front with an airbag. You should be aware though that air bags can cause serious injuries if they go off so you should push the front seat back as far as you are able to, taking into account the child sitting behind IYSWIM.
I have a 7 seater but this week as I have 6 children I have no choice but to use my front seat. I usually put the eldest / biggest child in the front.

xxx

emma04
15-08-2012, 09:56 AM
I have been using my front seat for one of my mindees (3yrs now 4yrs) due to the fact that his parents will not allow him in the rear (boot seats) of my Zafira.

He was always in an appropriate booster with back and side protection (i dont use the 'seat only' ones at all) and with the front seat pushed back as far as possible as i can't dissable my airbag and this was reccommended by Rospa (google it)

LittleLadybirds
15-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Thank you all for the prompt replies. :thumbsup:
This is what I thought, so should be ok. It wouldn't be everyday either; I was more worried about school holidays if we were going out.

The oldest child I care for is (just) 7, so it would be him in the front seat when necessary, still with the booster seat. Then the 6 year old, 2x4 year olds, 2 & 1 year olds would be in the back.

I can turn off the passenger airbag, so that would not be a problem, and the seat can be pushed back quite far too to minimize the risk as much as possible.

Thanks again :)

smurfette
15-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Should be fine for occassions with as you say the right car seat ., wondered though are they better with air bag on if they are forward facing??

LittleLadybirds
15-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Should be fine for occassions with as you say the right car seat ., wondered though are they better with air bag on if they are forward facing??

Hiya, thanks for the reply.
I had read some information about the airbags. They are designed for a fully grown adult, and a child's body is not developed enough to withstand the force of the airbag if it goes of, and can have internal organs severely damaged by it; hence the reason about switching it off. Also, the child is not the right height I think, so it would be more likely to hit them in the wrong part of their bodies too.