PDA

View Full Version : At what age would you expect children to wipe their own bottom? (Sorry!)

Maza
15-08-2012, 08:28 AM
I know I could only ask this question on this forum! Just wondering when to trust the little ones to do their own bottoms (after a number two). Sorry,hope you've had breakfast. :blush:

Tippy Toes
15-08-2012, 08:30 AM
it depends on the child really.

my daughter was doing it from 2.

I would say around 3 yrs old. hope this helps xx

Maza
15-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks. Two years is impressive!

Pipsqueak
15-08-2012, 08:37 AM
2.5yrs-3yrs - depends on the child!

once they are fully independent going to the loo - get onto the loo, pull down/up skirt/trousers etc....

rickysmiths
15-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I would say efficiently from 3-4 but before they go into reception at school. Before that some are better than others but will often hold on until they get home for this very reason.

JCrakers
15-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I would say about 3-3.5yrs. Although I have wiped bottoms until a lot older. I don't mind as long as they don't :)

Although saying that my 10yr old dd still shouts me when she's got in a pickle :blush: I dont do it btw I usually shout back 'do it yourself for goodness sakes, im not going to be wiping your bum when you're 16 you know ' :rolleyes:

emma04
15-08-2012, 09:59 AM
I would say it depends on the child, but three years old is reasonable if you ask me. I had a mindee who's parents were not happy about him wiping his own bottom at three, but I pointed out that this was the direction a friend of mine took and she was still wiping her sons behind until he was 7!!! He wouldn't poo at school or anywhere unless someone could wipe his bottom!

Mollymop
15-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I would say around 3 years old. But sometimes even older ones need help sometimes - my 4.5 year old mindee yesterday asked me to do it as it wasn't a very friendly poop.:thumbsup:
I have a 2.5 year old mindee and he can't reach round to wipe just yet as he is still trying to get to grips to with sitting on the loo!

smurfette
15-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Would say about three, but would check! I have two girls who potty trained recently they are both almost three and have surprised me with managing this .. I do make sure though as dont want them to be sore! Suppose it depends on whether there are any constipation issues etc going on.. Would take the line too that the earlier they can do it the better as makes it easier for school

EmmaReed84
15-08-2012, 10:21 AM
I think DH is about 25 years late on this... He rarely does it properly and always has skids ewwwwww:panic: ha ha ha ha ha ha :laughing: :laughing:

Funny though because he taught Cameron how to do it, now our 6 year old son is better than him... I think DH is just lazy TBH!

*SHUDDER* gross! lol

Sunflowers
15-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I habe a 2 & 3/4 year old mindee who now insists on wiping her own bottom, wont allow a check at all. I checked with mum and explained and she's just had the same the day before, so she is making sure LO gets a bath every night (she not a water baby sounds like baths are a battleground) she is a very independant little lady though. My own boy is just 3 months younger, insists on standing for his wees (you can laugh he has now twice insisted on standing but seems he also needed a poo! :laughing: ) I think given the option he's hae his bottom wiped til he's 16, although he's also tried to leg it after a single wipe, often not enough!

Boris
15-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Gosh I think 3 is still little to be able to manage that. My DD is 2.5 and I can't imagine her doing it for ages. She has "grumpy" poos though! :laughing:

Zoomie
15-08-2012, 12:02 PM
I have a nearly 5 year old that still struggles. Her movements are quite loose, and she has a large frame, so I get her to do as much as she can on her own, but I usually end up finishing it off for her.

WibbleWobble
15-08-2012, 12:42 PM
i have a 7 yr old who regularly shouts me to come and give her a wipe! i have asked her what does she do at school..

the answer? " i dont poo at school i save it up for here"
me "why?"
her "cos you have a nice bathroom and i like having a poo here"

apparently my house and her house are the only places she will have a poo

i think its a compliment......:rolleyes:

VeggieSausage
15-08-2012, 03:46 PM
I think 3.5 - 4 is fine and some need help a bit after that....

sandy64
15-08-2012, 05:34 PM
i always encourage a lo to wipe them selves properly before they go to nursery over 3 as i no nursery arent allowed to help them.:)

pinkellifun
15-08-2012, 07:27 PM
My son is 5 and he still has trouble doing it himself. I don't think there is a specific age for doing it. I think before reception class is an ideal age but it needs to be child-related not age-related.:)

PixiePetal
15-08-2012, 07:31 PM
as long as they can do it by the time they go to school then I am ok with helping.

DS could never reach - his arms seemed too short but it was the way he reached round :laughing: he had sussed it by the time he started school - but never did a poo there, he hated the toilets and waited to come home (no different at 15 :laughing:!)

mindees of 3 1/2 both need help and I would rather know it was done cleanly in my house :o

Maza
15-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys. Tried with DD today who is 3 and a half and she found it really hard! She's very independent but she just couldn't seem to reach! Her arms need to grow longer!

EmmaReed84, I take it your DH doesn't read your threads!:laughing:

PixiePetal
15-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys. Tried with DD today who is 3 and a half and she found it really hard! She's very independent but she just couldn't seem to reach! Her arms need to grow longer!

EmmaReed84, I take it your DH doesn't read your threads!:laughing:

Glad my DS was not the only one to have had short arms :laughing: (mind you he now has really long arms like an orang utan!!)