PDA

View Full Version : Would you/do you use other people's policies?

jumpinjen
14-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you have any opinions on this, do you use them/ Would you if you found ones you liked? Do you think it's a good idea/bad idea? Would you read them to see if you could add or improve your own? Would you use them as a basis for your own or print and use them outright? Do you think it's useful for new minders or for minders who are overwhelmed and struggling and need a boost? Or do you think it's something every minder should have to do for themself?

Just wondering as I'm updating mine and thinking about when I first wrote mine and how much i struggled to know what to put in and how I looked for some to get ideas and wrote lists from the stat guidelines etc.....

Jen x

Angela234
14-08-2012, 09:42 PM
i have used the ones on bromely childminding as a guide then written them around how i work saved me hours worrying where to start

jumpinjen
14-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I used some from there too for information! I'd forgotten about it since lol - I've noticed some people selling theirs on e-bay.....

Jen x

BucksCM
14-08-2012, 09:51 PM
When I first started to write mine a few years ago, I bought some off e-bay, searched the net and looked at the ones on BCMA, as i had no idea where to start and what to write. I then sat for hours going through each policy and procedure, getting ideas from each of the ones I had and produced my own...with little bits from all of them but all in my own words.
It took me HOURS over several days.
As a Bucks Buddie, I often share mine with new childminders as I know how overwhelmed i first was (I get a feel for the person first and if I think they will just copy and print and not actually read and adjust then I won't share all, just a few)
So...a bit of both...I don't mind sharing but always tell people I share with that they MUST read them and adjust to their setting...as I do think that it's all overwhelming at first...and if I can help to alleviate that then I will try:D

migimoo
14-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I totally cheated and bought mine as a cd-rom pack on eBay created by a childminder (setup pack) also including contracts and lots of printable activities then just tweaked them to suit my setting.
All of my parents comment on how impressive my policies are...just make sure you READ THEM properly first as my DO caught me out on my fire policy which i'd skipped....it stated that our evacuation point was somewhere that doesn't even exist in my road!

pinkellifun
15-08-2012, 01:59 AM
I was given a copy of a friend's who is also a childminder. Then I went through them and amended them as I saw fit and to fit in with my business ideals.

Every childminder in my area has used the same policies and just amended them slightly. Don't see any problem with it so long as you check the information you have been given thoroughly.

jumpinjen
15-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Thanks guys - I have shared plenty with minders around my area in the past but was thinking about putting things on a page on my blog for anyone to access and make use of..... bit nervous as I don't want to get slated for writing dodgy stuff lol!!

Jen x

Chatterbox Childcare
15-08-2012, 05:30 AM
I can't see anything wrong with using someone's as a basis and amending it to your setting

I would never copy it word for word as my practice will always be different to the next persons

Chimps Childminding
15-08-2012, 06:41 AM
I can't see anything wrong with using someone's as a basis and amending it to your setting

I would never copy it word for word as my practice will always be different to the next persons

Same here!! we have used some of Bromley's as a basis but changed and added bits as necessary!!

sarah707
15-08-2012, 06:49 AM
I don't share my policies very often (except with parents of course!!)

I write ideas of HOW to write them and WHAT needs to go in them - it's up to others to use that information to write their own :D

Kiddleywinks
15-08-2012, 06:50 AM
I found it all very daunting when I first started. So much to take in, doing the course, having to write coursework, sort the house out etc etc, so when it came to writing my policies/procedures, my head was already, well, mushed. I knew what I wanted to say, but couldn't find the right words to use.
I wrote bullet points, then looked at bromley, then had a search through other minders websites for any that had put theirs online.
It all helped to see more professional wording, but I certainly didn't copy and paste.

Along my searching, I do remember reading somewhere that a new minder had copied and pasted ALL their policies and when Ofsted came to visit, the inspector went through the minders paperwork and started asking questions about what was written - the new minder hadn't got a clue and was flumoxed when the inspector asked where exactly was the new pond going to be - she lived in a high rise flat :laughing::laughing:

Some will use them as a starting point, get wording and phrases cleared, but there will be some that just copy and paste so don't share ones you wouldn't want copied :thumbsup:

loocyloo
15-08-2012, 07:54 AM
i used bromleys as a starting point for mine, then wrote my own.

i am careful with whom i share mine. i worked hard on mine and if someone is just going to copy them, i won't share! friends have borrowed them to get an idea in the past.

watgem
15-08-2012, 07:57 AM
I do use them as a starting point for writing my own as it is very daunting and time consuming, I'm selective about sharing them though, except with parents of course:)

kindredspirits
15-08-2012, 08:00 AM
when i first started minding i had no idea of what to put in them, or even what ones to do - so i used bromleys site as a reference point and then edited to adjust my own opinions etc.... since then i have completely re-written my own as i now understand what i am doing. i was perusing ebay the other day and i found for sale a PRE-Completed SEF!!! :eek::rolleyes:

jumpinjen
15-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Well that's just the thing - why not share? I know them inside out and can explain to Ofsted that I share them if they think they have seen them before.... I showed my LJ system to another minder and gave her the documents and stickers i made and when she was inspected she claimed them as her own and was graded outstanding in that area so locally I'm already second hat lol..... I understand that everyone needs to personalise for their own setting and I've always been a bit protective of the hard work and hours of research and writing that went into my P and P's but lately I've been asking myself WHY I'm so secretive and protective of them.....

Tippy Toes
15-08-2012, 08:11 AM
I might take a look at oher policies to give me ideas but I would always write my own policies etc.

Playmate
15-08-2012, 08:17 AM
I used NCMA's but over the years they have evolved :D

notts
15-08-2012, 08:19 AM
I used the NCMA ones as a guide and adapting them to suit my setting/service.

Mouse
15-08-2012, 09:23 AM
I've used all sorts as a starting point - Bromley, NCMA, ones I've found on the internet - but I always adapt them to fit me and how I work.

As a support minder I have seen many new minders who had copied policies word for word and they don't make sense to their setting. I always tell them to read the policies thoroughly rather than just copying them, printing them off & sticking them in a folder.

Jen, it's very generous of you to be thinking of sharing your policies and there are a lot of cms who would be very grateful. But you would also find there are others who would take advantage of your generosity, possibly copying all your work & selling it as their own :(

smurfette
15-08-2012, 10:28 AM
When I started a kind minder gave me a copy of her contracts and policies .. I have adjusted them where I felt necessary and every time I have a new parent visit I check them again and amend if I want to tighten things up :thumbsup:

ChocolateChip
15-08-2012, 10:57 AM
i used bromleys as a starting point for mine, then wrote my own.

i am careful with whom i share mine. i worked hard on mine and if someone is just going to copy them, i won't share! friends have borrowed them to get an idea in the past.

Same here!
I'm happy to share things on here or with people I know will appreciate the help but there's no way I'd give the local witches the time of day, let alone an easy ride on their paperwork.

jumpinjen
15-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Same here!
I'm happy to share things on here or with people I know will appreciate the help but there's no way I'd give the local witches the time of day, let alone an easy ride on their paperwork.

Oh dear - are they that bad?:(

ChocolateChip
16-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Oh dear - are they that bad?:(

Well let's just say I don't agree with a lot of their working practices and the fact that they both like to stir it up and back stab :mad:

babs
16-08-2012, 11:34 AM
when just starting out it can be very hard and having something to look at helps, i am willing to share any of mine for people to look at and reword as i believe each policy is set to your own setting at the end of the day we all do the same job and if it helps someone whos stuggling then al the better. i to used bromley when i frist started out.