PDA

View Full Version : cat didn't like prospective parents!

Murdockg
14-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I just had to post this on here to see if anyone had a similar experience.

A family came to see me today for before school care. I'd met the Dad before and thought he seemed a little strange. -Well the mother was even more strange. The whole meeting made me feel really uncomfortable. My cat joined us out in the garden and seemed friendly enough. I gave the children the usual warnings about when not to stroke him. He started rubbing around the mothers legs (which I recognised as a bad sign) so I warned him off and he started growling at me. -He never does this! I tried to move him away and he attacked me. Again he never does this. My husband took him away but it didn't look too good and not sure what the family thought about it.

What got me though is that this behaviour is so unusual that I'm convinced he'd taken a disliking to the family. I don't believe in things like this normally but he's got me convinced. -Not sure if I'll see them again!!!

Tippy Toes
14-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Sorry no experience of this myself but how strange!

If the cat doesn't act like this usually then sounds like he didnt take a liking to the new parents.

Mouse
14-08-2012, 05:32 PM
How strange!

How much do you trust your cat's instinct? :p

lozzy23
14-08-2012, 06:03 PM
My cat does not like men, not even keen on my DH, she just puts up with him;).

Although when a LO's dad drops LO off, my cat will allow him to stroke her and will even approach him for a stroke. I have no idea why, LO's mum says he really likes cats, but then so does my DH. My cat won't let any other of the dad's touch her she just runs off.

tammys-tots
14-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Well I might get my cat to interview parents although she won't come in room if children are there lol

sarah707
14-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I always trust an animal's instincts ... they sense things we don't.

I'm not sure I would want to offer the space xx

Two Princesses
14-08-2012, 06:23 PM
I trust my animals instincts too.

My little cat (passed away 2 years ago) didn't really like anyone and was ever so shy. The 1st time my (now) hubby came into my flat all those years ago she jumped straight on his lap for a fuss and wouldn't get off :D

They may think your cat is too vicious anyway :laughing::laughing:

VINASOL
14-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I would also trust the cat's instincts :)

pinky33
14-08-2012, 06:33 PM
One of our cats is like this.... He has been right every time.... Now we don't take someone if he don't like them.... He is our gut instinct :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Mouse
14-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Well I must have a rubbish cat. He's never shown any interest, good or bad, in any parents :rolleyes:

He did bring a dead mouse home today while I was working. I wonder if that means something :laughing:

loocyloo
14-08-2012, 07:10 PM
my cat sits on parents laps, climbs up their legs, even tries to get in their cars with them!

we always say he has such a terrible life with us, he is trying to escape! ;)

Murdockg
14-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys! My husband thinks I'm crazy! Now I know I'm not!

Pipsqueak
14-08-2012, 07:40 PM
damn I need to get a cat!!! lol

I am with Sarah on this - animals 'sense' things us humans don't, trust your cat!

Hahahaha - on your admissions policy
'has to pass interview with cat'

The Juggler
14-08-2012, 08:24 PM
lol that is really funny! i thought cats rubbed round your legs if they LIKED you! I now think lots of cats hate me :(

mushpea
14-08-2012, 08:25 PM
my cat just runs out the room when people come round,, shes alright once shes got to know them so guess her instincts are no good and as for the dog he cant be bothered to get out of his bed to even greet people:laughing: my rabbit attacts the dog and the cat though so maybe I should let him interview parents ,, could be a laugh:laughing:

smurfette
15-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Well I might get my cat to interview parents although she won't come in room if children are there lol

:laughing:

Ripeberry
15-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I've got two cats and they are usually curious about new people coming to the house. None of them have ever shown a dislike to any of the prospective parents. But I would trust my cats instincts as they pick up 'energy' that we can't perceive but you did mention you thought they were odd and maybe your cat was protecting you when you tried to get it away from their legs?

Anyway, hope you get less 'strange' people next time :):thumbsup:

Helen Dempster
15-08-2012, 12:39 PM
I would definitely trust the cats instincts, esp if he doesn't act like that generally. Love your moggie, mine is a wuss! :laughing: