PDA

View Full Version : Questions?

Mrs Dolphin
14-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Right I am finally getting myself together to sort my paperwork this weekend for the new EYFS. I have a list of things I need to do or want to impliment. I have never done formal planning but get the feeling we need to now. The things I have to do are.....

Make up and print play plan and observation sheets, I liked these in the free down loads and thought they looked a really good way of recording the obs. With this in mind, how often should we be observing children? If a Child is coming 4 days a week how often would you record obs?

I thought every 6 months I would share the LJ with the parents and have a comments sheet for them to complete with their thoughts/feelings of the child's time here and any concerns etc they may have. Is this a good thing to do?

2year progress check, I really don't know how to do this, so thought I would have the 7 headings and write a little bit under each heading, but then I thought surely for the 2 year old I should manly be concentrating on the 3 areas? Anybody got a good example of how to lay out a 2 year check?

I also liked the obs tracker from the free downloads too but wondered how long it should last I.e. how long before a child does something in each area? As we all know some children focus on one area of development first before moving on so thought this tracker could end up lasting quite long or have I got it all wrong?

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me, I feel like I am sinking under all I need to do. I can't help but think now my own children are older if its worth all the hassle childminding, I hate all the paperwork but love being with the children so would be sad to give it up really, ironically I left an office job to become a childminder lol. Think I had less paperwork back then ;)

AgentTink
14-08-2012, 02:03 PM
In regards to the 2 year old progress I found some great examples in the following booklet called A know how guide. The last example at the end of the booklet is how simple it can be. The main focus is on 3 prime areas.

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/A-Know-How-Guide.pdf

A couple of observations a month is fine I believe. I aim for at least 2 a month and then I have lots of what I call wow moments which are little things that I see, and I just link these quickly to one learning and development area, and note a quick next step. I just use a pre printed form for wow moments so all I need to do is handwrite what I see and highlights learning area.

My planning then consists of the above next steps from obs and wow moments, plus a few bullet points on anything I see that really interests the child. I then incorporate them in the following few weeks. I have not done formal group planning yet so not sure.

In regards to sending learning journey home that is fine. I have also added to my sheet a area for me to write some next steps to help share learning with home. Ie help x to wash hands independently etc.

I have my own tracker so can't comment on the one on here, maybe someone else will be along shortly who can give you guidance.