PDA

View Full Version : Finding a balance

smurfette
14-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Morning! How do you guys decide enough is enough? I have advertised what is a four day week vacancy and had enquiries from three mums for part time hours.. It does mean I would have four under three for a couple of hours once a fortnight if two of them did go with me (of course no guarantee they will at all) and also for some after schoolies .. I have never mixed the two before and have three of my own aged 6,9 and 11 .. The extra money would be great (had to replace our heating tank at the weekend (500 euros) so its all a bit ouchy!!

On one hand I feel I should take on the minimum we can manage on so my girls don't miss out too much, on the other if I am working anyway what's a couple more and as we know Things pop up that need to be paid for ... We don't really have anything saved up and the money we had to pay on a tank was our money for spending on our holiday in september so don't know how we can replace it!

I know some of you have lots of kids during the day .. Do you have your own kids and if you do does it make much of a difference to them when you add to the number? Feeling guilty but also worried about money!!

smurfette
14-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Ps variation not an issue in Ireland

JCrakers
14-08-2012, 08:49 AM
I have a lot (normally 15kids but not that many in the hols) and I must admit im not enjoying the holidays because Im not spending any time with my own children :(

Today Ive got 4 children from 2-9yrs and Im feeling it today because I stayed up to watch the olympic ceremony and haven't caught up on sleep yet :laughing:

I manage it well and I find the routine of a 'normal' school day fine as long as nothing changes the routine (dd ill and needs picking up from school or a dentist app) then I find it difficult.

Not having a car for work makes it difficult too as I cant do things quickly, it always means I have to walk so for instance one day dd needed some Calpol at school for her headaches and I couldn't pop don with the 3 kids I had, I had to walk with the 3 of them to school and back.

clorogue
14-08-2012, 09:05 AM
It really is about finding the balance - so hard when money going out in all directions! It is finding what you feel is right and also giving the time to your own children - they really grow up so fast. They have their needs too, not always monetary but just your time which they will remember - the most precious gift you can give them is your time. I never did 5 days on a permanent basis when my 3 were younger but did 3-4 days, not really long hours and always made time for them. During the holidays I worked it that I didn't have that many in the holidays - it is not so bad when they are out school to have more. I did a patch recently of 5 days but knew it would be for 6 weeks and not the holidays until a couple of mindees left. Again I did another stint a couple of years ago for about 3 months of 5 days, but I explained to the children that it was for a short time and the money would come in useful. Doing too much and overloading yourself is not good for you and your family either. But like you say not all the enquiries may come to fruition it is choosing the ones that would work for you and your family. HTH.

AliceK
14-08-2012, 09:09 AM
If I had a choice I would only have EYFS children but as I don't really I have a mix of BS/AS as well. My DS is 8 and DD is 4. Sometimes I do feel guilty as my own children always come last (or at least it feels like that) but whats the other option? Me going back out to work and then they would be with a Cm and wouldn't spend any time with me at all. It can be chaotic with so many of varying ages especially on days like today in the school hols. If I could afford not to mix the ages I would but then my schoolies who have been with me since nursery would have to go and then I'd feel bad.
However many you have you just get into a routine and get used to it and it all works out ok in the end. If you have the right children it's fine, but when you get one that upsets the apple cart that's when it becomes too much. I have given notice on a child because of that. I don't think it's the amount of children you have it's making sure the harmony is right :thumbsup:

xxxx

marnieb
14-08-2012, 09:09 AM
I have a lot (normally 15kids but not that many in the hols) and I must admit im not enjoying the holidays because Im not spending any time with my own children :(.

I have to agree - for the first 2 years or so i struggled to make end meet. For the last 6-8 months I've been full, and I've had no time off over the hols and it's really starting to effect my own kids. I have 2 leaving soon due to new babies, so I am not going to fill their spaces straight away and stop working at all on fridays. yes, it means less money, but I need to prioritise.

primula
14-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I have'nt worked fridays for about 18yrs!! i have been lucky enough to find 3/4 days a week. i need that day and i honestly dont think I could have coped in this job without it!! Kids are grown, last one is a teen and i have taken on more children than usual but I know it will be for 10months, as they go off to nursery.Can you see if you can get a free day to just pick up your own? and if it gets a bit manic you can have a rethink!

Bear23
14-08-2012, 06:24 PM
The way i justify it is, i have to work, so its either this or she'd be away from me anyway whilst i worked all hours in someother job.

sarah707
14-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I have always tried to have a day off a week however tight money is - like you say there has to be a balance :D

loocyloo
14-08-2012, 07:02 PM
i used to work full weeks, then my chance i managed to cut back to 4 days termtime & 3 days holidays and it was wonderful!

when i moved i only planned to work 3 days a week, but my first mindee was a tuesday and my second a friday and then i had mindee who needed tue/wed/thur ... and i'm stuck at 4 days a week! i don't mind so much termtime, but i'm noticing it this holidays, even though i make sure that most of the time, we can all get in the car to go out and about! the struggle is going to be as mine get older ( currently 7 & 10 ) and i fill more spaces with year round children, as TTO seem to be rare round here!