PDA

View Full Version : Unsettled

handeme
13-08-2012, 07:22 AM
I am just after a little bit of advice.

I have a mindee who moved to me from a nursery, when he started the initial first two weeks he was up and down settling in bit after this time he was fine, enjoyed his time with me.

From mid July its almost someone has flicked a switch and he is constantly screaming and is very unsettled. He is terrible at sleeping too which doesn't help because he is so tired and is making him so upset.

He splits his time between me and Grandma and mum said he did the same last week when she took him to Grandmas.

Can anyone help with any advice, its been four weeks of this now and I am not only concerned that he is so unhappy but my other children are having no fun x

VeggieSausage
13-08-2012, 08:35 AM
I am afraid that I have just given notice to a screamer after a year of having them, the same happened was ok for a few weeks, a little unsettled I thought but naps were difficult etc, but he did high pitched screaming all the time to get attention and in the end it was just awful for the other children and me. I should have done it earlier and am so relieved that I don't have him any more. He wasn't unhappy with me, and nothing seemed wrong with him, in fact he was very bright, but screaming was his default behaviour when he wanted anything including other children to play etc.....drove me crazy, I am a new chilled minder again!!!

sarah707
13-08-2012, 06:57 PM
It can be so hard for childminders, parents, other children and of course the screamer when a little one doesn't settle :(

You need to speak to parents and work with them to change routines etc so they suit the child ... set a time frame for meeting parents and chatting to them so everyone is involved in supporting the child.

Hopefully you can sort it out xx

handeme
14-08-2012, 07:14 AM
It is so frustrating.

He was the worse I have ever seen him yesterday, we went out and had to come home because he was so unsettled.

I have tried to talk with mum abut it but seems unwilling to change anything at home and is putting it all down to a 'stage' (when I think it is that we have such a strict routine here and LO doesnt have one at home). LO is a bad sleeper and has been trying to leave him to self soothe but gives up because LO screams so much.

I am really struggling with what to do, I am going to see how he is when he next attends. I really dont want to have to give notice but it is starting the affect the other children.

smurfette
14-08-2012, 07:55 AM
It's very hard when parents don't support you, you can't force parents to put child in a routine .. And we are so big on them cos it is impossible to look after that many children otherwise! You will be able to get him into a routine but it will be harder and take longer without parents on board .. Can you talk to mum and say you will have to give notice if you can't work something out and you need her to help you? Then at least it won't be a shock if you do give notice

handeme
14-08-2012, 09:46 AM
The problem is he doesn't come to me for continual days in a row, he comes and day then has a day with grandma then comes back to me. He then spends rest of his time with Grandma and mum.

I think tomorrow I am going to have to say that I am going to have five or two weeks and if he remains to be unsettled then I will have to give notice and she will have to sort out alternative arrangements. Would you pop that in writing or just chat about it?