PDA

View Full Version : Hot drinks served at playgroups - what's your opinion?

Maza
10-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Do your playgroups serve hot tea/coffee to adults? I personally don't like it as no matter how careful I would be, you couldn't count on every adult there to be 'sensible' with their drink and it's not just their children/mindees that they put at risk, it's mine too. What do you think?

Mouse
10-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Our groups have all stopped serving hot drinks now. I'm not impressed!

I asked for the statistics of how many children have been injured by having a hot drink tipped on them while at a toddler group and all the staff admitted that they have NEVER known of it happening...they still won't allow it though.

I know the arguement is that it COULD happen, but it could also happen in a cafe or restaurant when children are there. Should all hot drinks be banned there as well?

loocyloo
10-08-2012, 05:37 PM
i go to groups both with and without! one group i go to, the children sit down for a snack and then whilst they are having snack, the adults have their drink, so no danger of children rushing around.

one i used to go to, used lidded cups and these were the worst...adults assumed they were safe and were always putting them down in reach of children! no one was every burnt by one, but there was at least one spilt every week!

i miss my cup of tea at groups that don't have them!

i go to coffee shops with my mindees most weeks and we've never had a problem with hot drinks! mindees all tell my tea is 'hot' and not to touch! when its cold ( or i've put cold water in ! ) they like to pour me & each other 'cups' of tea. they still tell everyone to be careful 'hot'

i have never, in over 20 years of going to toddler groups, seen a child get a hot drink on them.

zippy
10-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Personally I don't think children should have risks removed like that, kids need to be educated not wrapped in cotton wool, yes there will always be some numpty that isn't watching their kid, of another numpty that puts their brew anywhere so that person should be pulled up too. I actively encourage risk taking in my house we go too the woods climb big trees, I have them doing basic DIY with real tools, my visitors are allowed hot drinks they're just told to be careful, I have poisonous plants in my garden, no point me removing them for them to go to grannies house and get poisoned. Yes we need to be careful but the worlds gone mad in my humble opinion, no doubt I'll get shot down for my views lol, however when alls said and done you have to make your own decisions, if you don't like what they do there find another toddler group or maybe suggest some safer cups with lids.

appleblossom
10-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Our child minder drop in doesn't allow hot drinks in the main room. Fair enough if it's a Sure Start rule. But the child minders go in the kitchen to have a hot drink. Whilst they do that their children are running wild. When I complained about older children hurting the tinies at times when their minder is in the kitchen I was told that the other CMs were watching them (they don't of course as they are seeing to their own mindees) and that they are disciplined if they hurt others- not a great response as their CM comes back and tells them off ten minutes later and they don't know what they are being told off about.

So I just stopped going to the Group...simples.

blue bear
10-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Our childminder group is old school and we have hot drinks in mugs, no accidents that I can remember, just plain old common sense.

Two others have mugs with lids and adults put them down believing they are safe, I've seen two children spill hot drinks on themselves because they have been left under chairs:eek:

FussyElmo
10-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Must admit have never seen a child get scalded by a drink at a toddler group. I agree with a previous poster how are children supposed to learn and you put a lid on the cup and people suddenly believe they are safe :panic::panic:

mushpea
10-08-2012, 06:26 PM
one toddler group I go you get your hot drink then have to walk right across where the children play to sit down with it yet noone has ever got burnt, another one has a hot drinks area but we can still see the kids from there.
I agree that removing the risks for children dosent help them in the long run, how will they ever learn that a drink is hot and not to touch if if they dont see them
to be honest you could class it as a safegaurding issue but in different light, we are supposed to teach children saftey but how can we do this if they dont see the risks or arent allowed near things that are risky

Maza
10-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Seems like I am in the minority! I do believe in children taking risks but I am paranoid about hot drinks. I know of three children who were scalded with hot drinks whilst at nursery (separate incidents, few years ago) and two of my friends suffered serious injuries from hot drinks as toddlers, both requiring hospital stays and they still have terrible scars. My brother and I also had bad scalds as children but not from tea/coffee. Blimey, no wonder I'm paranoid! Water must be hotter where I grew up!

Pipsqueak
10-08-2012, 06:54 PM
I am in agreement - don't remove the risk - manage it.
Children come into contact in their homes - hot drinks (without lids)

Why playgroups and the like remove it altogether is not to stop a child being hurt but to stop them being sued !!! That is what it boils( excuse the pun) down to.

I know its different as its in the care of parents but I worked with a girl (way back when ) who was burned on the face by an iron... her mum had left the iron on the board, child pulled iron off - perfect imprint on side of her face... do we ban irons?
I know children who have been run over (almost seems to be a badge of honour round here with some parents) -do we ban cars..

I burned myself on the fireguard when I was little

What we do is manage and teach children to identify, understand and manage risk themselves... well that my opinion....

Mouse
10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Seems like I am in the minority! I do believe in children taking risks but I am paranoid about hot drinks. I know of three children who were scalded with hot drinks whilst at nursery (separate incidents, few years ago) and two of my friends suffered serious injuries from hot drinks as toddlers, both requiring hospital stays and they still have terrible scars. My brother and I also had bad scalds as children but not from tea/coffee. Blimey, no wonder I'm paranoid! Water must be hotter where I grew up!

I think if you have had first hand experience, or knowledge of incidents then you're bound to be more cautious - nothing wrong with that.

When I was young my brother jumped off the sofa, landed on my mum's knitting bag & speared his bottom with a knitting needle :eek: I'm now paranoid about leaving needles lying around & always move them if children are about, although the chance of anything like that happening again is probably extremely unlikely :p

FussyElmo
10-08-2012, 07:18 PM
I think if you have had first hand experience, or knowledge of incidents then you're bound to be more cautious - nothing wrong with that.

When I was young my brother jumped off the sofa, landed on my mum's knitting bag & speared his bottom with a knitting needle :eek: I'm now paranoid about leaving needles lying around & always move them if children are about, although the chance of anything like that happening again is probably extremely unlikely :p

I sorry Mouse but thats brought a massive grin to my face as thats a booby trap me and brother would have laid for each other.

Sorry but thats reminded me of all the things we used to do to our older brother

Mouse
10-08-2012, 07:23 PM
I sorry Mouse but thats brought a massive grin to my face as thats a booby trap me and brother would have laid for each other.

Sorry but thats reminded me of all the things we used to do to our older brother

Ok, can I admit that he didn't actually jump off the sofa...I pulled him off:blush: I was sitting on the floor, he was sitting behind me on the sofa being silly & I grabbed him & pulled him over the top of me.
He landed on the knitting & the needle went through one cheek, then the other. I pulled it straight out :eek:

We were little tinkers :p

bunyip
10-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm never entirely happy about it, but you just cannot remove every risk. Our local children's centre doesn't allow hot drinks, and a lot of people just won't go because of it.

I have to trust parents with their hot drinks or my lo's miss out on the toddler groups. Same as I have to trust motorists to stop at zebra crossings or keep the lo's permanently indoors.

FussyElmo
10-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Ok, can I admit that he didn't actually jump off the sofa...I pulled him off:blush: I was sitting on the floor, he was sitting behind me on the sofa being silly & I grabbed him & pulled him over the top of me.
He landed on the knitting & the needle went through one cheek, then the other. I pulled it straight out :eek:

:laughing::laughing:

definetly something me and my brotherwould have done I remember knocking one of his front teeth out and loosening the other with a scholl shoe - now Im showing my age. I knocked the other out the next day and he shared his earnings with me. :blush::laughing::blush

samb
10-08-2012, 07:50 PM
:eek: to the knitting needles!!!

I personally do get a bit paranoid about hot drinks as I have seen many cups almost full just left under chairs etc. However, I would think it would be a shame to get rid of hot drinks altogether. Our Sure Start centre only allows hot drinks behind a fenced off area which I think is great.

mushpea
10-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I have to say I did just have a chuckle over this thread, whilst I agree with the risk taking and the fact they shouldnt remove the drinks but educate the children I find it quite funny that non of us can cope with out our tea/coffee for a couple of hours, I am just the same so its not a slur on anyone. I just think its funny we need that hot liquid to get through the session:laughing:

FussyElmo
10-08-2012, 07:58 PM
I have to say I did just have a chuckle over this thread, whilst I agree with the risk taking and the fact they shouldnt remove the drinks but educate the children I find it quite funny that non of us can cope with out our tea/coffee for a couple of hours, I am just the same so its not a slur on anyone. I just think its funny we need that hot liquid to get through the session:laughing:

Its a hot drink or wine :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Mouse
10-08-2012, 07:59 PM

I'm known for my copious coffee drinking! Everytime I walk into the kitchen one of my little mindees says "are you having a coffee"!

For me it's not the fact that I can't manage without a hot drink, it's the fact that they're putting a ban in place that I don't feel is necessary.

BucksCM
10-08-2012, 08:16 PM

It's not about "we need that hot liquid to get through the session" it's about actually drinking "that hot liquid" as it is rare to actually start and finish a cup of coffee while it's still hot!:D:thumbsup:

watgem
10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I really don't like hot drinks in a toddler group, at one of ours a gran held her drink in her lap and a child knocked into it, luckily it went over gran's lap and not the child, which was very unpleasant for the poor lady. I suppose it doesn't help that my friend is a paediatric nurse who says that scalds on children are awful, even from a seemingly cool cup of tea a child can be scarred for life as their skin is so much thinner. Surely we can all cope without a hot drink for an hour or two?

Gizmo
10-08-2012, 08:27 PM
We have tea/coffee at our cm group after Los have their snack, they then have free play while we breath lol

Pipsqueak
10-08-2012, 08:33 PM
youchers to the knitting needles!!! have you ever told your mam the truth now that you have admitted it to us?

my brother used to beat up on me and in turn I done stuff to my sister...

my nan chopped her friends finger off with a very sharp knife... you know that game people play - normally when they are drunk!... spread your fingers out and you stab a knife fast between fingers..... my nan done that when they were young (around 1912) and she got (in her words) the 'whipping of her life'.... never put her of knives though!!!:D

onceinabluemoon
10-08-2012, 08:38 PM
My mindee grabbed a hot drink from under a chair and spilt it on herself at a toddler group. She was there with her mum (not me) and her mum and the lady whose drink it was were chatting momentarily, meanwhile munchkin (who was round 18 months) reached under the chair and grabbed the drink. It took less than ten seconds...

I agree with teaching children to manage risk, but I doubt any crawling 5 or 6 month old or even an 18 month old is old enough to understand that a hot drink burns. I don't go to toddler groups that have hot drinks any more. It is far too easy for an adult to be distracted and a child get burnt, but each to their own.

Some interesting reading here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2995636.stm

Gizmo
10-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Pip I think we need a like button on here just for you xxx

rickysmiths
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM

This made me grin. My little sister broke my arm when she was 2 and I was 6!!

Then she broke my little finger when we were 12 and 16 :laughing::laughing:

My son pulled a cup of tea over himself when he was under a year old but he did it in the right place. We were at my mums friends house and friend was a GP. ds hasn't got a mark on him mums friend had him in the kitchen sick with cool water before I even realised what had happened :laughing:

Our CC does not serve hot drinks and I hated it because I love my cuppa in the morning. I can't see anything wrong with it and I have never seen an accident.

FussyElmo
10-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Pip I think we need a like button on here just for you xxx

Totally agree.

Does it make me a really bad person to admit i have done this - I would be a screaming banshee if I thought my children would do something so silly :eek:

FussyElmo
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
This made me grin. My little sister broke my arm when she was 2 and I was 6!!

Then she broke my little finger when we were 12 and 16 :laughing::laughing:

My son pulled a cup of tea over himself when he was under a year old but he did it in the right place. We were at my mums friends house and friend was a GP. ds hasn't got a mark on him mums friend had him in the kitchen sick with cool water before I even realised what had happened :laughing:

Our CC does not serve hot drinks and I hated it because I love my cuppa in the morning. I can't see anything wrong with it and I have never seen an accident.

Did you stay away from her the year you were 22 and 26 to break the tradition :laughing::laughing::laughing:

rickysmiths
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
youchers to the knitting needles!!! have you ever told your mam the truth now that you have admitted it to us?

my nan chopped her friends finger off with a very sharp knife... you know that game people play - normally when they are drunk!... spread your fingers out and you stab a knife fast between fingers..... my nan done that when they were young (around 1912) and she got (in her words) the 'whipping of her life'.... never put her of knives though!!!:D

Ouch! My Nan Mangled her sisters fingers when she was being stupid with the mangle and my Great Aunts fingers were very bent :eek:

Mouse
10-08-2012, 08:51 PM

Oh yes, she knew...and I suffered for it!

My brother & I laugh about it now :laughing:

FussyElmo
10-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh yes, she knew...and I suffered for it!

My brother & I laugh about it now :laughing:

Why are the funniest memories the painful ones :rolleyes:

madmamma
10-08-2012, 09:16 PM
My mother and uncle were terrible.

They were having a row once when they were younger and mum, in a fit of rage turned round and threw the chopping knife she was holding at his head..... :eek:

He started screaming blue murder at her (as you would) and she just looked at him, dead straight faced, and said 'What you moaning for? It missed didn't it?!' In her words, it was stuck in the door, level with his ear, wobbling, and still making a kind of twanging noise...

If I'd have even thought of doing that I doubt I'd have ever had a bum comfortable enough to sit down EVER :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
11-08-2012, 05:27 AM
I cannot see why we cannot drink coffee anywhere as long as the risked are measured. We do it at home don't we? What is the difference?

onceinabluemoon
11-08-2012, 06:26 AM
I cannot see why we cannot drink coffee anywhere as long as the risked are measured. We do it at home don't we? What is the difference?

I think the difference is that at home you have one or maybe two cups, you know where they are, you know the children well and you can predict what will happen - in short you can control the situation.
At a toddler groups you may have 20 or 30 cups, some parents just wonder off and leave hot drinks wherever they feel like it or just don't watch them, you don't know all of the children and you don't know how they will act. You have no control over the situation at all.

Surely I'm not the only person who can do without a hot drink for 2 hours? :laughing:

Maza
11-08-2012, 07:30 AM
I think the difference is that at home you have one or maybe two cups, you know where they are, you know the children well and you can predict what will happen - in short you can control the situation.
At a toddler groups you may have 20 or 30 cups, some parents just wonder off and leave hot drinks wherever they feel like it or just don't watch them, you don't know all of the children and you don't know how they will act. You have no control over the situation at all.

Surely I'm not the only person who can do without a hot drink for 2 hours? :laughing:

Totally agree. The first thing I do when I get back from toddler group is stick the kettle on as I'm gagging for my cuppa by then, but like you say, I know I will only put it somewhere sensible. Yes, we have coffee in coffee shops/cafes etc but you are expecting it there and the kids are not running and climbing about and exploring, they are sitting at a table so the risk is minimised. Not judging anyone who does have coffee/tea by the way, but good to discuss these things. x

Kiddleywinks
11-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Am I the only one that can't remember the last time I HAD hot drink whilst working then?

It's not that I don't make them, just keep getting side tracked, and end up drinking it lukewarm/cold :laughing:

miffy
11-08-2012, 08:24 AM
I don't like groups if there's no hot drink for me too, preferably at the same time all the children are seated having their snack.

I hate those sippy cups (sorry, don't know their proper name) they are more dangerous than ordinary cups because they keep the liquid hotter for longer and people assume they are safe and so just leave them lying around.

Miffy xx

Twinkles
11-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I have been going to toddler groups for 30 years. First with my own children and now with minded ones.

I have NEVER seen an accident.

I don't doubt that they do happen , just I've never seen one.

At the group I go to we have our hot drinks while the children are sitting at a table with their fruit and drinks.
This does seem to be a good compromise.

It really isn't about managing or not for two hours without a hot drink.
I certainly don't have time to have a hot drink after breakfast. Too busy chasing small people !
I'm MORE than ready for my 10am coffee when it arrives :thumbsup:

Jods
11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Hot drinks served at playgroups - what's your opinion?

dont have one - just wished they would hurry up and get a bar with a hot male fitty in to swizzle some cocktails around :littleangel:

watgem
11-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Onceinabluemoon I'm with you, at home we are in control, at toddlers we are not. Could we honestly live with ourselves if any child got scalded just for the sake of adults having to go without a cuppa for a couple of hours?

zippy
11-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Totally agree. The first thing I do when I get back from toddler group is stick the kettle on as I'm gagging for my cuppa by then, but like you say, I know I will only put it somewhere sensible. Yes, we have coffee in coffee shops/cafes etc but you are expecting it there and the kids are not running and climbing about and exploring, they are sitting at a table so the risk is minimised. Not judging anyone who does have coffee/tea by the way, but good to discuss these things. x

I wouldnt agree with that I was sat in tesco cafe with my own too, took my brew off tray to make it, my daughter then pushed tray away from her to give her more space, ended up with me having a brew in my lap, was more cheesed off with having to go get a new one. Never had an accident at toddler group though, doesn't mean it won't happen but as long as everyone is being as careful as possible thats all I think anyone can ask, and on that note I'm gonna stick the kettle on, gagging lol

kel1983
11-08-2012, 11:28 AM
As a toddler I was seriously scalded leaving me with an arm covered in scar. This has made me so cautious of hot drinks.

When I attended the local childminder drop in many of the childminders would just leave their hot drinks sat on the edge of the table. This annoyed me so much as where the adults sat the tables were 2 wide and they could easily have placed the drinks further back.

The difference at a group to being at home is there are more children running around at the group and more chances for the adults to become distracted. It just needs you to be distracted for a few seconds for an accident to happen.

Im not saying ban them from groups but adults should be more aware of where they are placing them.

migimoo
11-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I have helped to run a toddler group for the last 11 years twice a week and have never had a child scalded by a hot drink.

Drinks are made at the sink area using a thermos and put onto the table in front of parents and cm's.

It's instinct to move/grab your cup if a child comes barrelling towards you...give us grown ups some credit please!

Some spot on points about children needing to learn how to keep safe from experience not being wrapped in cotton wool!!

Velleity
11-08-2012, 12:52 PM
I choose to not go to any group where hot drinks are served.

It is not safe in my opinion.

zippy
11-08-2012, 01:06 PM
At the of the day we'll never agree and that's how it should be different courses for different horse, you've got to go with your instincts that's all any of us can do, if they are serving hot drinks and you don't like it then personally I think you need to find another group, you're not going to feel comfortable there or in anyway be able to relax (as much as any of us can). Is there other groups in the area you could try instead.

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 05:38 PM

I know - the sessions I go to without a cuppa available leave me exhausted and thirsty and frazzled- if I get my cuppa then I come home with the impression that I've enjoyed it much more :D our children's centre said they couldn't understand why no cm's came to the drop in group and instead went to other places - i told them it was cos of no cuppa and biscuit but they wouldn't believe me - it's flippin true though!!!! :laughing::laughing:

jumpinjen
11-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I think the difference is that at home you have one or maybe two cups, you know where they are, you know the children well and you can predict what will happen - in short you can control the situation. At a toddler groups you may have 20 or 30 cups, some parents just wonder off and leave hot drinks wherever they feel like it or just don't watch them, you don't know all of the children and you don't know how they will act. You have no control over the situation at all.

Very good point bluemoon - I had never thought if it in this way before!! - I struggle without my tea - I gave it up for lent - and missed it terribly!!

tialil
11-08-2012, 10:04 PM
I have not read all the replies but I think they should either stop hot drinks or at least make people sit away from the toddler table with their hot drink.

At the playgroup I used to attend there used to be a lot of people either standing around the toddler table with their teas/coffees held just above the kiddies heads or another thing that used to wind me up was they would plonk their hot drink down on the toddler tables right by the kiddies having their snacks/drink and walk away or sit and chat(not paying attention to their drink) and many a time I have had to stop kiddies from grabbing a cup. :angry::panic::eek:

I have seen a massive blister from tea that had been tipped by a family memeber years ago . The tea wasnt even freshly poured, had been in the up for a long time.

smurfette
11-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Don't like it myself, some parents do it at our toddler group and I have seen them holding them over kids heads while sorting them out or leaving them on the floor unattended. If I have a quick cup while I am there I have it in the kitchen where I can see the little ones, most times I don't. I know of someone whose little boy spilled a 20 min old cup of tea on himself and had to have skin grafts on his chest for years after. If I have one at home i have it on my hand or put it on the dining room table where they can't reach or the counter top in the kitchen but I dont feel a lot of adults really know the risk and are too lacksadaisy (sp!) with them and don't know other peoples kids and what they might do so no I don't like them at toddler groups.

Having said that the one i attended while my own girls were small we did but it was a very small group and we would have passed our tea to another adult to hold if we had to get up.. But maybe i am more careful with someone else's kids!

peanuts
12-08-2012, 02:30 AM
our playgroup, if an adult was in and wanted a tea/coffee the oppertunity was there if they wanted one, they had to go into the kitchen and drink it.

emma04
15-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Personally I don't think children should have risks removed like that, kids need to be educated not wrapped in cotton wool, yes there will always be some numpty that isn't watching their kid, of another numpty that puts their brew anywhere so that person should be pulled up too. I actively encourage risk taking in my house we go too the woods climb big trees, I have them doing basic DIY with real tools, my visitors are allowed hot drinks they're just told to be careful, I have poisonous plants in my garden, no point me removing them for them to go to grannies house and get poisoned. Yes we need to be careful but the worlds gone mad in my humble opinion, no doubt I'll get shot down for my views lol, however when alls said and done you have to make your own decisions, if you don't like what they do there find another toddler group or maybe suggest some safer cups with lids.

Perfect answer and my thoughts entirely!
We are at risk of denying children the ability to understand 'consequence' a huge and important thing to learn.

Life is one big risk but we dont all stay in bed just incase we get run over, burned, murdered or robbed!

Obviously it is our job to keep children safe, but this should be done through teaching and risk taking should be allowed (within reason) Common sense is rapidly diminishing and its worrying!

kel1983
15-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Yes let chidren risk take but sometimes its not the children that cause the spilages. Its the adults that have no common sense.

hectors house
15-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I go to groups that do allow adults to help themselves to hot drinks whenever they want - I choose not to have a hot drink when at toddlers as whenever I tried something would happen to one of the 3 mindees and I was always stuck wondering where to safely put my drink while I dealt with the problem, so I have a cuppa just before we go out and that sees me through.

JCrakers
15-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Hot drinks served at playgroups - what's your opinion?

dont have one - just wished they would hurry up and get a bar with a hot male fitty in to swizzle some cocktails around :littleangel:

Now ya talkin my kinda talk :D
That would be a good toddler group!!

Personally I don't like toddler group tea and coffee. I have a gaggia at home and anything less than a cappuccino is yuck :cool:
There is one toddler group that I go to which is very 'all over the place' people sit all over with hot drinks. I prefer the kind that are confined to one area with a table for the little ones to sit at.