PDA

View Full Version : Settling in babies

Angela234
10-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi after nearly 3 years off due to health i have 2 babies starting with me in Sept i also have my 12 month grandson so 2 babies 3 days and 3 one day

Had the 10 month old boy this am mum stayed for awhile then left little one cried himself to sleep till mum came back (1/2 hour)
He noticed the moment mum left nothing would comfort him he's back next week for up to 2 hours i don't know if its best for mum to just drop off and leave or to stay awhile again.
I thought about taking him out in the buggy when he arrives (he likes going for walks) then bring him back to play before mum returns
Any ideas?

My other new one is 8 months (he's coming this pm for first settling session)

Looking foward to your ideas /experiances, most babies in the past i have known before minding them so no problems with settling in.

smurfette
10-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Yes I would usually take out for a walk in the buggy, even it it is your buggy it is something familiar and distracting and they aren't looking at your face thinking who is this?! Then maybe they will be relaxed enough to bring home and play with / feed at yours .. Talking gently once out on the walk helps too cos they get used to your voice. I always think if I can get them in and out of car seat and buggy, nappy change and something to eat in the first couple of days that is most of the hurdles over! Maybe If you can get mum to bring baby at a time when he doesnt need a nap so you haven't got that to deal with until he / she is a bit more settled!

Good luck!

Angela234
10-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks for your reply
Just had the 8 month old for 2 hours he is a happy little one very content playing mum left him for most of the time didn't even notice she had gone

I think i will take 10 month old out in buggy next week when he arrives
hopefully he'll soon get used to being here and me,

mum did say he evan crys if dad tries putting him to bed the last couple of weeks

smurfette
10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
mum did say he evan crys if dad tries putting him to bed the last couple of weeks[/QUOTE]

Just his age/stage then, nothing personal!!

Sure you will look back in a couple of weeks and all will be fine! Enjoy and good luck!

jumpinjen
10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
I just have things ready on hand to amuse/entertain/distract - board books, baby and toddler toys, a CD of rhymes and some musical instruments, some sensory bottles, a treasure basket etc and sit myself on the floor and hold them and play - mum staying isn't going to help if he's at that stage, unless she comes very regularly with him for half an hour til he

miffy
11-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Id also ask mum what his favourite toys/activities are at home so you can have similar available;also anything that comforts him if he's upset.

Some babies just take longer than others to settle anyway and he is at the age for separation anxiety. Good luck - at least you have one who is OK :)

Miffy xx