PDA

View Full Version : Story/Song sacks

MrsP2C
10-08-2012, 10:47 AM
I've been browsing the web for free/homemade resources & found a whole new world of story/song sacks :D I'm sure these are fairly standard kit for established cm's but wanted to share for those who hadn't heard of them and also hoping for inspiration as I've done one story sack & would love a couple more.

Song sack: drawstring bag (which I'm hoping to find a fabric music note to sew on) and then 8 small laminated picture cards with a picture prompt & nursery rhyme name (eg picture of a Spider with 'Incy Wincy Spider' underneath ;)). Idea is each child gets a turn at choosing/guessing then we all join in the song/actions.

Story Sacks:
Copy of the book, props (I've done Three Little Pigs so 3 pigs, a wolf (although need another one as mine is :eek:) straw, twigs & some stones) then paper & crayons. A great idea I came across was creating an Activity Card for each sack to act as a prompt for me to expand the activity & explore ideas

eg for this story sack I've got:

General Story Activity
Ask children questions about the characters and the plot
Talk about the story and children’s favourite bits
Retell the story using the props
Find out more about the people and places in the story by looking at the non-fiction books
Draw or model a character or scene

Story Specific
Ask the children to have a go at blowing the straw, twigs and stone across
the floor and discover which moved most easily
Using the wolf model as a prop, children can tell the wolf off and give him
some tips for making friends
Talk about the dangers of fires and ask children what they would do in a fire
Children can draw their own house or a house that they would like build
using the paper and crayons

I really hope I'm not teaching you all how to suck eggs but thought these were such lovely ideas they were worth sharing & hoping for a few more story sack ideas. :thumbsup:

miffy
10-08-2012, 10:50 AM
We love story sacks here :thumbsup:

I got a bit confused though - are you talking about Goldilocks or the 3 Little Pigs?

Miffy xx

MrsP2C
10-08-2012, 10:54 AM
We love story sacks here :thumbsup:

I got a bit confused though - are you talking about Goldilocks or the 3 Little Pigs?

Miffy xx

lol I'm confusing myself!! I've done 3 little pigs (so obviously no doll or 3 bears) but am just doing myself a list for Goldilocks. Will try & edit:o

miffy
10-08-2012, 10:57 AM
lol I'm confusing myself!! I've done 3 little pigs (so obviously no doll or 3 bears) but am just doing myself a list for Goldilocks. Will try & edit:o

Never mind, it's easily done - I get confused when the same things can be used for different story sacks, lists are good! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

MrsP2C
10-08-2012, 10:58 AM
As I've not used them before, is there a good way to introduce them to children? Will be practising on my own DC & whilst I guess the main idea is as a shared activity, I like the idea of them being able to use them independantly and not sure if guidance would be needed.

miffy
10-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I do a mixture - sometimes put out the sack (don't always use a sack, a basket works well too) and let them just explore. Other times read the story and let them guess what might be in the sack. With a song sack we sing a little song and pass the bag round then when the song finishes whoever has the bag gets to choose an object and we sing another rhyme about that - it depends how many children you have and what age they are.

Miffy xx

AgentTink
10-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a sack fully of cuddly toys, coloured ribbons, laminate cards and little hand sized toys such as tractors etc all to do with nursery rhymes that i have either collected from charity shops and bargins bins ect, or made myself.

My oldest child is 3 whilst my youngest is just 1, so i simply let the children take turns getting out an cuddly toy from the sack and then ask the oldest children what song do they know with the selected cuddly toy. Whatever song they chose is the song we sing. I simply encourage the youngest to hold the object and wave it along to the music.

Some of the objects can have multiple choice of songs such as the cow so its always fun to see which song the children choose.

MrsP2C
10-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Thnak you both great get some other ideas especially slightly less rigid approaches.

smurfette
10-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the ideas i haven't used these Til now but think I will give them a try!