PDA

View Full Version : Sept variations

JCrakers
09-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Has anyone managed 5children under 5yrs?

The reason I ask is on Monday 3rd sept I have the following children:
8m old
18m old
Nearly 3yr old
Nearly 4 yr old
6yr old

Sibling of 18m old usually attends thurs and fri but mum has to go into work. She starts school but only until 1pm so mum asked if I could pick her up at 1pm. I said no because I already have 4 under 5s that day.

I would have to leave the house at 1240pm with 2 youngest in double buggy and 2yr old would walk a bit and use board. So it would be do-able.
But I was hesitant to say yes under these new rules of continuity of care as it just seems too many children

Does anyone else manage 5?

miffy
09-08-2012, 09:53 AM
I can't say I've ever looked after 5 under 5 but if this is for a few hours for one day only and you feel you can do it then there is no reason you shouldn't.

It comes down to how you feel you can cope.

Miffy xx

marnieb
09-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Hate to be a pain, but we were told by a Mrs O in person at a revised eyfs workshop that we have to wait for our new certificates before we operate under the new rules. This will be posted out to us all between Sept-Nov.........

JCrakers
09-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Hate to be a pain, but we were told by a Mrs O in person at a revised eyfs workshop that we have to wait for our new certificates before we operate under the new rules. This will be posted out to us all between Sept-Nov.........

Ok but when I rang ofsted they said they wernt doing variations from sept so what do I do in between?

I need a variation for mon 3rd as I've got 4 under 5yrs.

sarah707
09-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Information from Ofsted - I have it in writing -

If a childminder wishes to vary their conditions of registration at any point between now and 1 September then they should apply to Ofsted in the normal way.

From 1 September it is also wise to let us know if you have not yet had a new certificate with conditions removed.

However if someone has used the new EYFS after 1 September to decide whether they may use an exception to the ratios and they have acted in accordance with the EYFS in relation to its requirements including meeting the individual needs of all children who attend then we would not take action if they have not yet had a new certificate.

Hth :D

JulieA
09-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Information from Ofsted - I have it in writing -

If a childminder wishes to vary their conditions of registration at any point between now and 1 September then they should apply to Ofsted in the normal way.

From 1 September it is also wise to let us know if you have not yet had a new certificate with conditions removed.

However if someone has used the new EYFS after 1 September to decide whether they may use an exception to the ratios and they have acted in accordance with the EYFS in relation to its requirements including meeting the individual needs of all children who attend then we would not take action if they have not yet had a new certificate.

Hth :D

I'm shocked :eek: That's almost a sensible response from OFSTED ;)

loocyloo
09-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm shocked :eek: That's almost a sensible response from OFSTED ;)

:eek: i know! i read it and had to re-read it to make sure it was truly making sense! :D

rickysmiths
09-08-2012, 05:23 PM
That does sound remarkably sensible! Maybe they are getting a bit more chilled now they will have less admin?

blue bear
09-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Many many moons agin pre ofsted i Had five, 3 x 4 year olds and twox3 year olds. Was four mornings a week, it worked fine but I think a lot of that was down to their ages, quite independent and all walkers.

Think seriously how you would manage before taking it on,how will you cope if one is under the weather but not poorly enough to go home?

JCrakers
10-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Response form Ofsted this monring so it clarifies that I can make my own decision on the 3rd without a new certificate

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry, as of 1st September 2012, it will be solely down to the provider to make decisions regarding increases in numbers. Ofsted have provided factsheets on the Ofsted website to help assist providers in making these decisions. However, Ofsted will not make the decisions for the provider. It is down to provider to interpret the Early Years Foundation Stage document in regards to variations to numbers.

We are removing your conditions of registration to reflect the fact that you may now make these decisions and not Ofsted.

When inspection takes place, any provider who is working above the maximum numbers will be expected to demonstrate how they have come to their decision, for example, risk assessments etc.

miffy
10-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks for sharing that :thumbsup:

Miffy xx