PDA

View Full Version : need a little help please

absmum23
08-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Hi All
My DH has just been offered a job in Ayrshire, only we live in Suffolk:eek:

My problem is how different are the regulations regarding minding in Scotland and also what are the work prospects like in and around Ayr. I have been registered for a year with Ofsted.

I have family who moved into a very small hamlet (South Ayrshire) and it has taken a while for them to be accepted and they feel that this will be the same for us, even to suggest that parents probably will not use me.

So before we turn our lives upside down, can anyone give me any advice please.
TY
:)

smurfette
08-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi didn't want to read and run, know nothing about Scottish regulations but congrats to your dh and best of luck with your decision!

marnieb
09-08-2012, 06:36 AM
hiya,

I have no idea about the regs, but I'm originally from Ayrshire (Troon) but have been in Surrey last 12 years!

I do miss it - the weather is good, always close to the coast.

But yes, small town mentality is what i don't miss, everyone knows everyone and I don't miss people telling me they know what I did last weekend, not good when you're a teenager!!! :blush:

lynncjt
09-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi,

I've moved from Surrey to NE Scotland and have just completed my registration.

There is a non compulsory Induction course run by SCMA and in Aberdeenshire is funded by the council. Care Inspectorate quote 3 months to register but mine was longer as the NE is short on Inspectors! You do NOT have to have any other course before reg, but are expected to have First Aid and Child Protection by the first inspection.

The worst thing for me is that you have to have mains wired fire alarms and on an old house that was difficult and expensive! It rules out me doing overnight care as I would have to have fire doors fitted or alarms in all downstairs rooms if I wanted to do overnight!

I'm in a larger town and my BIL and sister are here, but I found the best way to get to know people was walking my dog!

Meeting my first set of parents tomorrow so will see how I get on. If you want any more info feel free to pm me.

HTH Lynn

gegele
09-08-2012, 08:38 AM
after moved around and in different country it's always different, always a bit difficult the first 3months. 3months it's what it takes to get new habits and routine.

in countryside all other the world people know everyone and it feels difficult to fit in but you'll get there at the end.

you may end up meeting lots of ex pat and be a ex pat minder:D

absmum23
09-08-2012, 08:09 PM
many thanks for support. interesting regarding fire alarms will make our choice of house a little different.
:)

lynncjt
09-08-2012, 09:18 PM
If you google 'fire precautions in domestic childminding premises' you can download the document from the SCSWIS (Care Inspectorate) site.

absmum23
12-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for link :)