PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Logan
08-08-2012, 04:26 PM
I have a parent coming to see me next week about childcare for a 1 year old - but she won't need me until February.

I'm not long since established & really need business. But if she chooses me and I make that commitment to her then I lose the potential to take on someone else - potentially losing money. On the other hand I may not get anyone else in the meantime!

If she comes to me what can I reasonably charge as a retainer between now & Feb?

Need to have thought this through before she comes to visit!

rickysmiths
08-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi there.

NCMA recommend that a retainer fee is not paid for more than three months. The thing is that if for some reason you then can't provide the care to a parent who has paid a retainer fee you have to repay all of the fees paid.

If she is really keen and wants to make a commitment then I would take a four weeks fees Deposit, sign a Contract with a start date of mid Jan to allow for settling in.

I then have a fees policy which states that the Deposit is held until the end of the contract as long as all the fees are paid up to date then the Deposit covers the four weeks notice period.

If they then decide between signing the contract and Feb they don't want to use you they loss the Deposit. If they reduce days/hours when they first start then they loss that % of the Deposit.

If you have a change of circumstances then you can return the Depoist to them at any time an say you are sorry but you are no longer able to offer the care they need.

This kind of gives you a breathing space so if in October someone else comes along wanting an immediate start for more days and hours you could take them on.

smurfette
08-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi there.

NCMA recommend that a retainer fee is not paid for more than three months. The thing is that if for some reason you then can't provide the care to a parent who has paid a retainer fee you have to repay all of the fees paid.

If she is really keen and wants to make a commitment then I would take a four weeks fees Deposit, sign a Contract with a start date of mid Jan to allow for settling in.

I then have a fees policy which states that the Deposit is held until the end of the contract as long as all the fees are paid up to date then the Deposit covers the four weeks notice period.

If they then decide between signing the contract and Feb they don't want to use you they loss the Deposit. If they reduce days/hours when they first start then they loss that % of the Deposit.

If you have a change of circumstances then you can return the Depoist to them at any time an say you are sorry but you are no longer able to offer the care they need.

This kind of gives you a breathing space so if in October someone else comes along wanting an immediate start for more days and hours you could take them on.

Good advice :thumbsup: it's a tough one but this seems like a good solution keeping you covered

pipandbaz
08-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Defo as above I'm relatively new but have done the above recently and makes perfect sense, good luck
:thumbsup:

Logan
08-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Thank you for the help, it really is appreciated. It's along the lines I was thinking of but it helps to have other opinions - especially from more experienced people!

We'll see how it goes, she may not even want me :)

rickysmiths
08-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Good Luck!

smurfette
08-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Best of luck with it!

Logan
09-08-2012, 07:49 AM
Thank you!

Bear23
09-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Good luck xx