PDA

View Full Version : Fostering and Childminding

emile1973
07-08-2012, 12:11 PM
My partner and I are discussing the possibility of fostering alongside my childminding.
Yesterday I filled in the online request for more info. And first thing today I got a call to discuss and possibly arrange a visit.

I explained our situation and that I am a childminder working at present with one family who have a 2 and 4 yr old and the four year old will be at full time school from September. I work three days.

She said that whilst she doesn't doubt my experience and qualifications and that it is not totally against the boroughs rules they prefer it if one parent didn't work.
She did however say that they wouldn't rule my job out and pressed on me that they really need families for older children . We have initially ruled out over 8's until we have experience and my 15 year old finishes education. She was most insistent that they would like to place older children with families like ours but we do not feel ready for that at the moment.

I'm surprised how quickly they want to meet so this tells me that they have many children who need placing.
I am very disappointed that they don't like the idea of my being a childminder but understand this too.

Does anyone have experience of childminding and fostering together or know of anyone?
I would really appreciate any advice etc and other views. Am I being unrealistic thinking about doing both?
Thanks guys xx

PaulaR
07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
my freind childminds and fosters. she has fostered two older girls and different times. There are conflicts of interests when you have a social worker who needs to visit you and you childmind but thats up to you to sort out that by haiving your husband around for those appointments.
Every situation is different

Bluebell
07-08-2012, 01:13 PM
If you have an under 8 child placed with you then it means you will have less spaces in your under 8's and if you take temporary foster children then you will have to keep a space open for them too.
If you had younger children you would have to balance the effect that having another child who may have emotional or behavioural issues or special needs or be demanding may have on your family life - having very young children in your EY group will mean they are going to be affected too.
I don't mean to sound negative as I think its a great idea and something I would love to do too but never looked into as my children are still so young

When I'd read that they wanted one of the parents to be non- working I would have assumed stay at home work didn't count as you are on hand to deal with things but then maybe that is indicative of how demanding the role is?
Would you be needed for things like case reviews, court dates, parental visits? It would be inconvenient having to attend things like this with the child if you had childminding children with you. No idea if that IS the case but just an idea as to why they might prefer a non worker?

Sorry I can't help from a point of view of someone that does it - I would love to know the response too.

smurfette
07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
The only thing about an over 8 is presumably they would be in school all day which may make things easier? You could try a different fostering agency to see if they would be happier to have you minding / offer you younger children. My parents fostered when I was growing up and I loved it and dh and I fostered a teenager when our eldest two were toddlers but although he was very good we found it hard coping with such different age groups so I would maybe push your experience of pre schoolers and how they would fit better with your family

emile1973
07-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Thankyou to all of you for your replies and advice.

I have expressed to the Local Authority under 8's with emphasise on under 5's and luckily in a position where I can give up one of my under 5's places. I am also lucky to have recently just have one family and the days are flexible as in I can arrange appointments around my days off.
I would be expected (or my partner) to attend all the various meetings etc but I think with planning we could work it with my childminding family which is now part time.

I wanted to make the woman understand that if I give up my job then my husband could not be as flexible with his hours where as if I work part time ( I do 33 hrs in three days and was full time until very recently) he could be more flexible in attending meetings, school runs etc. I don't want to have to worry about money really.

We are just in the first info. Stages and she insisted on us booking an appointment for a visit although I will not keep this appointment if we do not feel ready.

I really do think that I can do both and have a very supportive family and partner.

Mmmm decisions!!!

MrsP2C
08-08-2012, 06:12 PM
I was fairly well advanced in our fostering application when I was made redundant & decided to start CM and when I called the LA they stopped dead our application :(. They said they might reconsider in the future (althoughwould have to start at the beginning again!) but there were too many unknown quantities at this stage & cm / fostering weren't compatible!! And this is despite me telling them I am only planning on cm part time and applying for respite care which is typically pre-arranged weekend or holiday care. I hope you get a better response and really don't wish to put a downer on it but just be prepared that not all LAs are so accommodating.

Twinkles
08-08-2012, 07:05 PM
It so depends on your borough.

Having done respite fostering for a few years ( not now though ) I can see how it may be difficult to do both.

As a foster parent it is not only meetings with social workers. You may have to attend a panel if big decisions need to be made ( court orders , freeing the child for adoption etc ).

The most time consuming however, would be contact visits.

The foster child/children would need to be taken by you for contact with their parents. Sometimes this can be 4 times a week !
They need to be taken to the contact centre which may be local to you or may not.
You would then need to collect them after 1 hour , 2 hours maybe 3/4 hours.

That is if the parent shows up. You may get there and wait an hour only for the parent to have found some other pressing engagement !

I'm not saying this to put you off. Just saying why the two jobs may be difficult to co-ordinate.
Good for you if you give it a go. Friends of mine have fostered for over 30 years ! They are still fostering at the ages of 65 and 68 ( at the moment they have an 8 week old baby ).

emile1973
10-08-2012, 09:50 AM
We are weighing all different scenarios and options up at the moment.
The family I work with have flexible work times and we arrange this weekly/ two weekly...
The LA have already said that it is something they allow but they just prefer that you do not work. I love my family that I work with....urggggg

Lots of thinking to do.
Do any of you have experience or advice about fostering for LA or agency? My LA called first thing next morning after my online enquiry and would send me info. With them being able to book a home visit. (They seem to be very very busy.)

I'm finding better info. And advice coming from this forum than talking to the advisors at my LA...it's soooo helpful to us. Xx

JCrakers
10-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't think I would be able to manage to do both. They are both equally hard work and to balance both would be too much for me I think.

A lot of the children that need foster care have been through a lot. Depending on the severity of their background their behaviour could be a problem and they could need a lot of care and attention. Although you will be at home and have time with them their behaviour or needs may override the childminding