PDA

View Full Version : Do you use digital camera for observations?

hectors house
07-08-2012, 10:34 AM
I just rang the ICO and they said every childminder needs to register with them (at a cost of £35 a year), as it doesn't matter whether you:

save the photos on your computer

just take photos with digital camera or mobile phone, download, print and delete from computer and camera card

Or even take digital photos don't downloading them and just printing them in Boots and delete from camera card

it is the fact that you used a piece of digital equipment to take the image, so he said unless we all go back to using a manual or throw away camera we are all breaking the Data Protection Act!

Even if you use your computer as a word processor to type a letter to a parent (business customer) and you save and print letter - you need to register.

I told him that probably 17,000 childminders were breaking the law then - or have you all registered?

Mouse
07-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I just rang the ICO and they said every childminder needs to register with them (at a cost of £35 a year), as it doesn't matter whether you:

save the photos on your computer

just take photos with digital camera or mobile phone, download, print and delete from computer and camera card

Or even take digital photos don't downloading them and just printing them in Boots and delete from camera card

it is the fact that you used a piece of digital equipment to take the image, so he said unless we all go back to using a manual or throw away camera we are all breaking the Data Protection Act!

Even if you use your computer as a word processor to type a letter to a parent (business customer) and you save and print letter - you need to register.

I told him that probably 17,000 childminders were breaking the law then - or have you all registered?

I've been registered for quite a few years. It's something that's been known about for a while.
If you search on here you'll probably find other posts about it :thumbsup:

AgentTink
07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I am registered as I was made aware of it through this forum when I first set out to become a childminder. There has been a few debates on here in regards o who pays for it and who doesn't.

JCrakers
07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes i am through gritted teeth :angry:

All the pictures I take are for the benefit of EYFS, Ofsted and LJ's not for me and I dont agree with having to pay but Hey Ho..this job is full of things I hate :rolleyes:

(paperwork wise btw , not children wise)

Mouse
07-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Here's one of the threads.
It's one of those things that some do, some don't. I do, but I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for not registering

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=96906&highlight=digital

marnieb
07-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I asked my local Do about this - she said she was aware of it, but has the same feelings as me about it - until I actually get a letter telling to do it, then I'm not going to.

Jods
07-08-2012, 11:18 AM
I am registered, but am still not sure to its point and useage!! has anyone ever been in the position where its had a use ?

lozzy23
07-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I am registered, have been for two years:( But I seem to be in the minority with the CM's in my area.

muffins
07-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm not but I know I should be:blush:

pinkellifun
07-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I have just registered as I am keeping all my documents and photos on my computer.

I just see it as another expense that I have to have in addition to all the others.

~Grasshopper~
07-08-2012, 12:32 PM
i am not registered and i dont intend to pay £35 that i cant afford.

i print immediatley on my pogo and dont save anything online. i only know about this because of this forum, my do has never mentioned anything to me.

i wont be looking after eyfs children past jan 13 anyway :)

x

hectors house
07-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I thought it was the saving and storing photos on your computer which meant you were supposed to register - I didn't know it was the digital equipment you used to take photo. Not sure if I will register or not - £35 seems a lot for a piece of paper - not far short from the money I pay morton michel for my annual liability insurance or my Ofsted Annual fee and at least you get something for you money - piece of mind from one and :censored:from the other!

I have emailed my development officer as I'm sure they have never explained this properly at training sessions.

mum2two
07-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I don't agree with it! Because we use a digital camera, we have to pay, yet if we used an old style one with a film we don't??? Surely it's safer with a digital as we print pics off, yet with a film - we had to send them off for god knows who to go through & take whatever copies they wanted without us knowing???? (I know it's other stuff as well, accounts, letters, obs etc- but just going with OP comment)

Just another £35 off our expenses...

xx

melco
07-08-2012, 01:19 PM
What annoyed me about all this is that I was never informed when I went on my childminding course, it was only seeing it mentioned on here that I thought we had to register.

Like others I have registered but I know a lot of childminders that haven't and I also have never heard anyone get into trouble for not being registered. And if cm are not getting into trouble then its annoying that I am paying £35 a year without needing to but knowing my luck if I didn't I would be the one who was caught!

funemnx
07-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I've been registered for a couple of years now - heard about it on the forum (thank you!). As I have an inspection due, I was worried about not having it just in case Mrs O didn't like it!

The £35 comes off my Tax anyway, so not real money spent ;)

hectors house
07-08-2012, 04:20 PM
For minders who have 2 children of their own and can then only look after one mindee - £35 is real money and probably takes nearly 10 hours to earn!

Winnie
07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
For minders who have 2 children of their own and can then only look after one mindee - £35 is real money and probably takes nearly 10 hours to earn!

I do sympathize :)but it is a legal requirement, think of it this way…… if you had a car sitting on the drive but didn’t want to pay road tax because you only use it now & again…. :panic:
I know £35 is a lot of money but it does make people aware of their responsibilities in data protection.
The Information Commissioner’s Office is the UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.

moggy
07-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes, always been registered.

lulubelle
07-08-2012, 04:43 PM
i am so fed up with this company i have called them twice for the pack and never recieved it so still unable to register

nikki thomson
07-08-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm not but I know I should be:blush:

I'm not either and tbh wasn't aware until recently that we had to be, I read it on a thread on here and then looked into it as I knew nothing about it.
Now it is on my list of things to do but at the moment my eyfs lo has recently left and I'm not replacing her until the end of nov so I'm in no rush but I will do it eventually, I do begrudge it if I'm honest just one more thing we have to pay out for in my opinion. X

rickysmiths
07-08-2012, 05:03 PM
i am not registered and i dont intend to pay £35 that i cant afford.

i print immediatley on my pogo and dont save anything online. i only know about this because of this forum, my do has never mentioned anything to me.

i wont be looking after eyfs children past jan 13 anyway :)

x

It doesn't just apply to EY children its anyone in our care.

sarah707
07-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I thought it was the saving and storing photos on your computer which meant you were supposed to register - I didn't know it was the digital equipment you used to take photo. Not sure if I will register or not - £35 seems a lot for a piece of paper - not far short from the money I pay morton michel for my annual liability insurance or my Ofsted Annual fee and at least you get something for you money - piece of mind from one and :censored:from the other!

I have emailed my development officer as I'm sure they have never explained this properly at training sessions.

It's for any digital equipment - including photos on a digital camera.

Hth :D

pinkellifun
07-08-2012, 05:23 PM
i am so fed up with this company i have called them twice for the pack and never recieved it so still unable to register

Just fill out the form online, print it off and send it to them - that's what I did.

https://www.ico.gov.uk/onlinenotification/?page=7.html

Rubybubbles
07-08-2012, 05:40 PM
http://www.*************/childminders/your_business/policies_and_procedures/data_protection.aspx

it's been know about for a long time:laughing:

sarah707
07-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Just fill out the form online, print it off and send it to them - that's what I did.

https://www.ico.gov.uk/onlinenotification/?page=7.html

I found the online form too complicated :panic:

I rang them and they sent me the relevant documents to sign and send back :D

onceinabluemoon
07-08-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm registered, I'd rather pay £35 than a huge fine. Although can't really see how paying the government £35 keeps the data any safer than not doing do but hey ho, mine is not to reason why...

Chatterbox Childcare
07-08-2012, 06:38 PM

do it online

muffins
07-08-2012, 07:08 PM
I've been registered for a couple of years now - heard about it on the forum (thank you!). As I have an inspection due, I was worried about not having it just in case Mrs O didn't like it!

The £35 comes off my Tax anyway, so not real money spent ;)

Its only the tax part of that you wont pay so you still pay most of it!

zippy
07-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I've been putting it off as long as I could, but now I'm doing L.J electronically I've decided that I can't get away with it any longer :-(

VINASOL
07-08-2012, 07:52 PM
I am in the process of registering (although don't want to) but I have to say I find it IRONIC that a company dealing with ELECTRONIC systems they cannot take credit/debit card payments/pay over internet and they use an old antequated (spelt right?) system of printing out a form and sending in a cheque....

Here's an idea :idea:...but then do I really need to say it? :laughing:

Tatjana
07-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Does anyone know how paying £35 protects the information more than if you don't pay it?

I believe it's just a money making scheme.

Bananabrain
07-08-2012, 08:12 PM
I went on a revised EYFS training eve last week. Out of about 18/20 minders I was the only one registered! I don't know any of my local minders that are registered either:angry:
In fact I have been publicly mocked by other minders:angry:
But am I bitter?
You betcha I am!
Just look at my face and read: 'Sucker':angry:

jadavi
07-08-2012, 08:14 PM
The incredibly annoying thing is they offer absolutely no protection whatsoever if there was any kind of issue if you needed support. I held out against this for ages (with the support of my do) but bottled out when Ofsted came and paid up. Im not going to now tho they've been.... When you ring and ask what the money is used for all they say is admin ....

sweets
07-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Im not paying it! never been told to by anyone.official, ofsted or my development workers have never mentioned it. only heard about thru this forum.

~Grasshopper~
08-08-2012, 06:27 AM
It doesn't just apply to EY children its anyone in our care.

i dont take photo's or store info on my schoolies though.

x

karensmart4
08-08-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm registered and just had my renewal letter through :(

Daisy1956
09-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm registered after finding out about it on this forum, although I do seem to be a minority no other minders in my area seem to have it.

samd35
10-08-2012, 05:34 AM
Yep, I'm registered too. x

miffy
11-08-2012, 08:03 AM
I've been registered for a couple of years but I'm sure I am in the minority around here.

Miffy xx

BucksCM
11-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Does anyone know how paying £35 protects the information more than if you don't pay it?

I believe it's just a money making scheme.

Exactly what I was thinking!
If given the right info and how exactly I will be protected I will think about paying the £35...but I really don't see what they are there for as far as cm are concerned!